Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I regret doing Transition Year

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Many schools now use every Friday as work experience time for TY. Gives the student continuity in the job for the year and some add weekend or holiday work in also.
    Having a day each week rather than a block works really well for the school also as no teachers are required for that time for the duration of the year, as opposed to a two week hiatus during the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Delphinium wrote: »
    Many schools now use every Friday as work experience time for TY. Gives the student continuity in the job for the year and some add weekend or holiday work in also.
    Having a day each week rather than a block works really well for the school also as no teachers are required for that time for the duration of the year, as opposed to a two week hiatus during the year.

Oddly enough, I had work experience for TY every Friday last year but they didn't think it was that great (I thought it was fine) so they decided to change it this year to 2 one week long blocks of work experience during the Christmas holidays and Easter holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Delphinium wrote: »

Problem with that is that not many places would do work experience in that format. Lots of bigger companies or organisations have a formatted programme which is usually for one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

I did my transition year in 2015/2016 and it was absolutely horrible. I came out of the year with a 96% mark for my years work (with hard effort) and it was not worth it. We did our school music in February and had prepared for it since september, the majority of the time we were left sitting in the hall watching the few people who were in the play act out their scenes, and this was the case until december. Once the musical was finished with we did absolutely nothing, we went to class and the teachers said they would give us leaving cert cycle work for preparation and all they did was give us a few questions which we all forgot by 5th year. And when you go back to 5th year you will NOT be able for the leaving cycle, you will have been use to not doing any actual work (regardless of the fact I did my own studies in 4th which wasn't beneficial due to lack of teaching) and will eventually either collapse under the stress like many people in my year did (including myself) or try and stay ontop of your studies which will send you into shock from the sheer difference in the amount of homework from junior cycle to leaving. I can say transition year is an absolutely horrific year and only their to take money from you, anyone saying "you just didn't try enough" I got 96% from extremely hard work and can say it absolutely did not help me in any way shape or form. I had wish I skipped it and went into 5th year straight away instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I would say it's worth it. I got a very high "grade" in TY, 98%. The grade doesn't really matter as long as you push yourself to your best potential. We did so many projects in TY that it was more stressful than the actual JC. The reason being that it was up to your own initiative to present, research etc. There was no spoon-feeding of information. This would be a problem to those who just learn what they're given.

You get out of TY what you put into it. Before doing TY I had never considered engineering or IT as a field I'd be interested in, just due to the lack of exposure. During TY I signed up for every single programme available, ones that our school announced to us and others that I searched up myself. I got to do some website designing and learned how to code.

Not everything has to be academic. And honestly, fifth year hasn't hit me like a truck as most are saying. We're almost 3 weeks into school and I'm coping fine, more than fine even. I enjoy my classes and I'm doing quite well. If I hadn't have done TY I know for certain that I wouldn't be as organised and responsible as I am now. Maybe it's just the type of person I am, but TY was an amazing year for self-development and it gave me a break academically. Lots of people have forgotten their work and how to do things, but honestly if you understood something before, you should still understand it. Unless people only learned for an exam. I think it's best to learn a subject to learn about it, not to learn how to do things in an exam. Maybe that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

TY was probably my favourite year in school.

Socially I came out of my shell a lot. Looking back the seeds were set here for my current friends now. I'm 21 btw and my group of friend are the ones I made in TY.

I hated 5th and 6th. I couldn't wait to leave. Enjoy it, you can love it if you put in some effort to have fun.

Advertisement