Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice creams from your childhood

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Del.Monte wrote: »
    6a3d48f5659cbfc94f08ce26741f97de.png

Back in the day, fado, fado - it was just ice cream wafers on Bray seafront and it all depended who did the cutting in the shop whether you got a decent size one or a miserable one. But we we were happy back then. :D

Also 99's in Woolworth's on the Main Street - a real treat.

Did you not have tins of fruit to go with the ice cream? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When did H.B become hazlebrook farm?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Markcheese wrote: »
    When did H.B become hazlebrook farm?

Think they were always called that they were just called HB in ireland for licence reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Flat Earther

Dracula' deadly secret. A black outer shell with a red inner. Oh and Cola flavoured Mr Freeze cool pops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

So many classics here...

cd06f85d6bc14ddc5044e8fb740c760b.jpg

The Freaky Foot was superior to the Funny Feet, because it had the chocolate big toe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

tumblr_mm2v827DhO1qd4q8ao1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

thebuzz wrote: »
    tumblr_mm2v827DhO1qd4q8ao1_500.jpg

Ah god I forgot about this one

Ah god I forgot about this one
    Oh my God, me too! A lot of memories have come flooding back now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

There use to be an ice pop called a Rocket and it was orange flavoured with a thin piece of chocolate on the top. They were lovely.

I think there was another ice pop called a Rocket too that was red because my oh and I had an argument about it one day! I don't remember a red one and he never heard of the orange one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a newsagent near me every kid went to. There was a freezer place across from it, you do not see these much anymore, it was nothing but chest freezers with meat etc. looked like a stock room or something so no kids went in, but they had the leadmore stuff there.

They had the JR mentioned before

jr-ice.jpg?w=580

and they had the ginormous mr freeze that would slice your mouth and leave you looking like the Heath Ledger joker.

I do not remember noggers, but I remember people calling feasts noggers
    noggerchocist-wieder-da.png?w=338&h=222

original?width=630&version=1548605

1981 below
    hb-poster-1981.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Jr ice pops were divine , lovely rich raspberry flavour and substantial size , they'd last for ages , not like today's ice pop e.g. Loop the loops , 3 bites and they're gone nowadays .

Oops69 wrote: »
    Jr ice pops were divine , lovely rich raspberry flavour and substantial size , they'd last for ages
    yes, and they were very good value compared to HBs cheaper end, might have been 2p more than HBs cheaper ones and far bigger. They were really rich and concentrated. I remember some were crap and you could suck the flavour out of them, leaving a stick of white ice behind.

The freezer shop I went to had polly pineapples and the pear pig ones too.

5060009551700.jpg

e65fc669e8e12cbbca0d30c58326e45d--gelato-ephemera.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

rubadub wrote:
    1981 below

I love that the guitar ice-cream has a man next to it playing guitar....we'd never make the connection otherwise!!

I remember being too mortified to ask for a chilly Willy!

laylag wrote: »
    I love that the guitar ice-cream has a man next to it playing guitar....we'd never make the connection otherwise!!

I remember being too mortified to ask for a chilly Willy!
    haha, yeah, unfortunate shape then too. I am not sure if I remember round chilly willys, sparkles came out as round ones.

Looking at the list again what surprises me most is that the orange super split was "new", I would have thought it was well established before many of the others on that price list.

This is from 1984
    hb-poster-1984.jpg

note there are no round chilly willys! I do not remember the paddle pop at all.

That-a-ways had a very harsh artificial strawberry taste. The red tubs of ice cream were always in cinemas, and not in many shops that I remember, they always seemed bad value to me. The iceberger were dearer than the choc ice, which I would have always remembered, but the 1981 list was the same price

That 84 feast was the same price as a choc ice, I do not remember that -feast was always dearer as I remember, also it does not have chocolate the whole way down, or many/any nuts. This is the feast I remember, quite a substantial thing, must have gone up in price as it got better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

i'd kill for an old fashioned loop the loop or Jr , bring back the e -numbers , its 30 years on and I'm still here , they were grand .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The 'Frogettes' in the poster above are triggering repressed ads from my mind..

Paddle Pop looks interesting. The local shop, that used to be called, 'Robinsons', in the Killiney Shopping Centre, up to the mid 80s, didn't stock the higher priced stock at the time. There was a lot of Mr Freeze.. but it was non brand and also, I think Leaf had ice pops too.

Someone mentioned further up about the lip cuts you'd get from the plastic..

I wanted to find, but never could, Jumbo or Chunky Choc. Luxury items for me, at the time.

Anyone remember the triangle shaped freeze pops, Mr. Freeze, but basically a triangular bag..? Usually a very weak 'orange flavour'. This was budget pricing, the ice cream equivalent of a clutch of black jacks and chewy salads..

Amalgam wrote: »
    The local shop, that used to be called, 'Robinsons', in the Killiney Shopping Centre,
    That was Harrisons. There was a freezer shop opposite it which I mentioned earlier, had other non HB brands and many kids did not know it did, it did not look like a welcoming shop for kids.
    Amalgam wrote: »
    Anyone remember the triangle shaped freeze pops, Mr. Freeze, but basically a triangular bag..? Usually a very weak 'orange flavour'.
    This could be wig-wams, think they were meant to be drinks but some shops froze them.

Here is a mr freeze brand one, but I do not remember these
    67203011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=ee8f8e6fcf92b87980844530239a7624

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My number one was the Golly Bar, it was cheap and yum! Big mouthful of soft icecream..... Choc ice and fat frog were cheap to and super nice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

rubadub wrote: »
    Looking at the list again what surprises me most is that the orange super split was "new", I would have thought it was well established before many of the others on that price list.

The price list from 1979 has the Super Split on it as well, so not entirely sure what was new about it on the later price list. They certainly existed when I was a young kid in the early 70s.

Zaph wrote: »
    The price list from 1979 has the Super Split on it as well, so not entirely sure what was new about it on the later price list. They certainly existed when I was a young kid in the early 70s.
    right, I see that now

?width=594&version=3440241

searching tesco for super split I see club orange have a super split drink!
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=296983828

brand-news-03-07-2017.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭threetrees

My Dad loved the orange super split, my mam the chunky choc, my brother the black chilly Willy and my fave was the wibbly wobby wonder.

We were partial to funny feet and Hiawatha's too. All from the kiosks on Bray seafront.

Advertisement