Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan / have you ever been there?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Son has lived there for 7 years and he's fluent in speaking and reading/writing. So I have a reliable guide when we go to visit him.

What stood out was the extreme politeness, although the inner v. outer face thing does show up sometimes. Some Japanese people will approach you in the street and offer assistance if you look lost - although that happens here as well. Not everyone speaks English so I suppose those that do take any opportunity to practice it.

I went to a couple of out of the way places and in both I was asked what made me go there. Once in a cable car half way up a mountain on Miajima island - just off the coast of Hiroshima. I said I'd been told by my son that Japanese people revere the place and I should go see it. The Japanese guy was surprised. Having said that , there was another westerner in our hotel there.
    Another time, in a funicular train in Hakone, the people opposite me were Japanese pensioners. The man spoke pidgeon English and asked me why I was there?? THe train had loads of foreigners on it.... Anyway, he told me that everyone learns some English in school, but later on most people can probably read some English but very few remember how to speak it. nice guy, but I could see his wife hadn't a clue what we were saying. Up north in a place called Morioka, spent a couple of days exploring the son's former haunts. Surprisingly the bar owners remembered him.... to be fair, the head man in the local Shinto temple remembered him and spoke highly of him. That was a relief. What stood out for me there was the way local school children would fire a few words of English at us then run off giggling.

I was surprised at the lack of anti-social behaviour and also the total lack of personal security . In a shopping centre we stopped into a large café. Struggled to our table with bags and coffee/cake. Then some locals walked over and left shopping/handbags etc on the table beside us and headed of to find something to eat. Most young lads walk round with wallets or phones sticking out of their back pockets. Having said that, son warned me not to put my phone down in a well known coffee shop in Shinjuku. He reckons its the ONE place in Tokyo where it would be lifted.

Never saw litter anywhere. Nor graffiti. Although I found the place where all the homeless people congregate at night. Quite a shock, didn't expect to see people looking so destitute in what seems such an ordered society.

Vending machines all over the place, selling hot/cold/alcoholic drink. I think they close down late at night. No one seems to think it'd be great craic to kick the sh1t out of the machines or to remove items or cash.

Ok, you're already bored, I'll stop there. son regularly says "Dad, you need to take off the rose tinted glasses!". Nope, I love going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Oops69 wrote: »
    even if Tokyo becomes cheap and easy to get to , 99 % of Irish will still go miles out of the way meet up in the one Irish bar in Tokyo on their holiday.. plebs.

This is such a smug attitude. Careful you don't dissapear up your own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

It's a place I'd like to visit. I guess you can't do like your European holiday and expect* everyone to have English? I'd imagine it's quite difficult to communicate?

*in a quintessential English speaking tourist in Spain style.

It can be

Would like to go if it's as good as this thread makes it out to be

It is

Crea wrote: »
    I spent a year there.
    There are some elements of super courtesy like the shops as you state. There are other elements of extreme rudeness like staring, pointing, talking loudly about the gaijin and unwanted touching. For such a developed country there is a certain immaturity in relation to outsiders.

you know you're also describing Ireland there?

• Advertisement

A few people have mentioned the touching up on the trains. Now, I've travelled on the pink carriage outside of the restricted hours (I'm a man) and know why they exist. However, I travelled on the most crowded trains in busy hours and never saw any of that carry on, although one time the train didn't leave the station in the customary 90 seconds and there was an announcement, and son said the announcement was an apology that the delay was because they were dealing with a pervert (not sure if that was a verbatim translation :-) ).

Here's one :
    on a platform and saw one of those glass waiting rooms with a poster in it, depicting a policeman with a raised hand and a short skirted schoolgirl behind him. Apparently it was supposed to be someone trying to film the schoolgirl , and getting busted for it. Basically "Don't film the schoolgirls with your phone!" Wow. Having said that, it must work, cos I never saw anyone doing it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

tampopo wrote: »
    you know you're also describing Ireland there?

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

The Japanese country side is very beautiful. I always used to associate japan with big cities but the country side is lovely. The Japanese are very much into hiking and walking so there's a load of lovely walking trails all over the country. I loved Nikko simplify for the walking trails and the temples in the national park. Hiroshima was quite nice as well. I liked it more than I thought I would. For some reason I expected a run down place but I quite liked it! The people are super friendly! Constantly offered sweets and food by other passengers on trains and a willingness to go out of their way when I was lost :p also loved the thatched cottages in Gokayama! I also loved the music jingles on the trains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Nara is one of the most magical places in the universe.

And Osaka is like being in a retro cartoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

would love to go and get out into rural japan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

archer22 wrote: »
    Pity they don't extend all this "good manners" to Whales and Dolphins, and maybe show some "courtesy" to the vast majority of the worlds population who don't want them brutally butchered :mad:

If those creatures are 'such intelligent' animals that the hippies and space cadets would have us believe, why do they swim around Japan and the Faroe islands. I reckon they are thick as a brick and their sounds are meaningless. Prove me wrong.

I wonder if there are Hippies in India saying how bad the Irish are for eating cows? Probably not as they're all too busy making a living.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    How so?

Which bit did you not understsand?

the rudeness, the xenophobia the immaturity in dealing with outsiders (from a country with a long history of emigration)

Overall, Japan is a lovely country. I'd encourage all contributing to this thread and have never been to go. You won't regret it. I've been a few times, heading back for my third visit this year next month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

topper75 wrote: »
    If those creatures are 'such intelligent' animals that the hippies and space cadets would have us believe, why do they swim around Japan and the Faroe islands. I reckon they are thick as a brick and their sounds are meaningless. Prove me wrong.

You have brought shame on your profile and the profiles of your ancestors

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

One thing I noticed in Japan is that the beer is horrible. They all seem to have a Dutch Gold taste to them.

I beg to differ. Asahi, Sapporo, Kirin, Kirin Ichiban and Yebisu all went down very well when I was there. Whilst the weather (30 degrees plus) and incredible grilled yakitori accompanying the beer certainly helps in that regards, I didn't have many complaints at all with the quality of beer. The only one I didn't enjoy was Suntory Premium Malts.

As an aside, if anyone is is Kyoto, Osaka or Tokyo then be sure to check out Torikizoku. It's a cheap and cheerful izakaya chain that sells everything - 750ml beers, spirits, yakitori, fried chicken and countless sides - for less than €2.50 per portion. You also order everything via a tablet on the table. Best of all, it opens until 5am!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Is having not a word of japanese not a big hindrance over there? You'd get by with English? For a holiday I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

been there lots of times and love it. Not sure I can handle if for more than about 5 or 6 days as it is serious culture shock and no matter what you do you always seem to be jet lagged the entire time. Have you watched Lost in Translation as that does a pretty good jobs showing what it is like!

Which bit did you not understsand?

the rudeness, the xenophobia the immaturity in dealing with outsiders (from a country with a long history of emigration)

What that other poster wrote is not something I recognise in Ireland, no. Laughing at foreigners, immaturity towards them? What?

So, that's what I don't understand. :)

_Dara_ wrote: »
    What that other poster wrote is not something I recognise in Ireland, no. Laughing at foreigners, immaturity towards them? What?

So, that's what I don't understand. :)

Oh, can't help you there. Open your eyes...I suppose...

Oh, can't help you there. Open your eyes...I suppose...

I have. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My daughter moved to Japan today. She studies Japanese in college so this is part of her degree, she will be there until July next year. Its not a place I've ever wanted to visit but I've learned a lot about the country this past couple of months and I'd love to see the place she is so passionate about.

She's staying just outside Osaka. I feel a bit reassured reading this thread and hearing how safe it is. Typical mammy I'm worried sick so it's good to know it's a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is having not a word of japanese not a big hindrance over there? You'd get by with English? For a holiday I mean

You'd be grand for a holiday, just remember your Konichiwa and arigato gozaimasu. They''ll spot the Gaijin a mile away and all the underground systems and signage is English friendly.

I had to buy painkillers when I was in Japan for a toothache. I just wrote down Aspirin on a piece of paper and they got it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We used google translate on the phone a few times. I remember we got the wrong train totally and ended up in Chiba when we were trying to get to Ginza for fancy sushi.

We asked someone youngish does he know a good spot for Sushi using our phone as it was 9pm and Ginza was over an hour away. He took out his phone as had no english, spent three minutes writing a message which read "I don't like Sushi"

We ended up in some Japanese style diner full to the brim of Japanese lads in business suits. Got talking to a table full of cigarette salesmen and one women who was translating between us. They paid for all our booze which was a lot as they drink like fish. Missed the last train home and said we were going to walk home but it was 30+ km's so we got some beers along the way and passed out under a railway bridge/line for a few hours and got the first train home.

Damn I miss Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was there for bit around March 2007. Liked it. They are bit mental, but friendly mental if makes sense. Just from my short stay cant give fair account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Friendly mental? I'm booking my flights now.

eviltwin wrote: »
    My daughter moved to Japan today. She studies Japanese in college so this is part of her degree, she will be there until July next year. Its not a place I've ever wanted to visit but I've learned a lot about the country this past couple of months and I'd love to see the place she is so passionate about.

She's staying just outside Osaka. I feel a bit reassured reading this thread and hearing how safe it is. Typical mammy I'm worried sick so it's good to know it's a good place.

She will have a ball. Lucky her. And you, for an excuse to go over and visit. Can recommend spring or autumn for the tree colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Flying to new zealand next year and looking at possible stop off destinations.seriously considering a stop in tokyo.it just looks like a fantastic place.

The fact that it made the paper shows the that it's an isolated incident. It certainly doesn't signify a national characteristic. Anecdotes, data etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 gingerpele

Well worth a visit as it's so different to anywhere else I have ever been. The ability to wander around at night without having to even consider safety is quite refreshing.

There is a sadness there though. A real loneliness - so many people who are single for life, lots of solo seats in restaurants and a stifilying culture of conformity. Go to busy Tokyo street at lunch time and you'll see everyone dressed identical eating the same lunch. Very strange.

Advertisement