Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia are planning to drug test people on welfare

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Oranage2 wrote: »
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2145603-australia-plans-random-drug-tests-for-people-receiving-welfare/

What do people think about this?

No a terrible idea in my opinion, money that tax payers give The government should not be used to buy illegal narcotics.

back in 2004, the Scottish welfare authorities were planning on introducing a system whereby people on welfare would receive food and clothes vouchers instead of cash. Im not sure if this was followed up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2145603-australia-plans-random-drug-tests-for-people-receiving-welfare/

No a terrible idea in my opinion, money that tax payers give The government should not be used to buy illegal narcotics.

Thin edge of the wedge.

Where do you stop? Soylent Green?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I'm more interested in the BasicsCard that's mentioned in the article. That sounds fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

11 states in the US have tried this. The unvarying result was (a) very few positive tests and (b) a very expensive testing programme.

This is a ****, populist idea that will deliver a load of money to the drug testing company that's probably owned by a mate or a cousin of one of the politicians proposing it.
    Rhyme wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the BasicsCard that's mentioned in the article. That sounds fantastic.
    I believe that one actually is owned by one of the politicians pushing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

I get the point of it, but if they are testing welfare recipients, should they not test everyone? Surely it is important people follow the law regardless of whether they are employed or not, esp. those providing services to others where they need to have wits about them.

• Advertisement

I get the point of it, but if they are testing welfare recipients, should they not test everyone? Surely it is important people follow the law regardless of whether they are employed or not, esp. those providing services to others where they need to have wits about them.

And just because they test positive, doesn't prove that they bought the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It sounds harsh from the thread title but actually isn't that awful when you look into it.

Though I'd object to including cannabis in the list, the goal is not to "punish" drug addicts, but rather aim to try and break the cycle whereby the government gives them money which then goes straight on drugs.

I'm skeptical about its effectiveness. Addicts are wiley barterers, and don't need to be in receipt of cash to trade their welfare for drugs. And other attempts at implementing such restrictions and random testing have had no success.

There are obviously also privacy and autonomy concerns about randomly drug testing people just because they're unemployed.

So while I'd file this one under "good intentions", it sounds like a big waste of money to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Good in theory but unlikely to do much.

I cant imagine that the majority of unemployed/on benefits people are taking drugs and you would need the majority to make this worth while.
    Are they also going to test the 14-17 year olds who are still under their parents care who are smoking weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Its not illegal to have drugs in your system in most situations but it is wrong to have your hand out to the state expecting free money then spending it on drugs.

So only spongers need tested

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So instead of reducing the welfare spend they're going to increase it by introducing this testing?

Ridiculous, if people wanna take drugs, let them. Legalise and tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

El Weirdo wrote: »

Thin edge of the wedge.

El Weirdo wrote: »

Thin edge of the wedge.

Of course poor people eating each other isn't what I'd suggest, all though it would solve a lot of problems.

Men and women spending all their welfare money on heroin and other drugs probably won't stop anyway. But your local lad down the pub might think twice about having a few puffs or lines on a Saturday night.

I think it could protect a lot of vulnerable people as both drug use and long term unemployment have negative effects on mental health.

Same think as these high interest loans, I'd love for these to become illegal especially for people on welfare, to help protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

I'd be favour of abolishing the welfare system altogether. It's broken in it's current form. Far too many bowzies taking advantage of it knocking around the place in need of a serious income decrease to come to the sudden realisation that to you need to make your own way in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Its not illegal to have drugs in your system in most situations but it is wrong to have your hand out to the state expecting free money then spending it on drugs.

So only spongers need tested

no, non-spongers don't need testing. populist nonsense that will achieve nothing. if you are testing then you test all or nobody.
    I'd be favour of abolishing the welfare system altogether. It's broken in it's current form. Far too many bowzies taking advantage of it knocking around the place in need of a serious income decrease to come to the sudden realisation that to you need to make your own way in this world.

i presume on top of that you will bring in laws to force employers to employ such people? because the people we are talking about here aren't employable. no, i don't mean anyone in reseat of wellfare but the types who screw the system.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i presume on top of that you will bring in laws to force employers to employ such people? because the people we are talking about here aren't employable. no, i don't mean anyone in reseat of wellfare but the types who screw the system.

Why would I be in the habit of forcing businesses to hire incompetent staff? That sounds like a very authoritarian proposal....
    Although judging by the braindead proposals of forcing homeowners to rent out their homes that this government have put forward, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised.

Whether they're employable or not is not our problem. They best make themselves employable (just as the rest of us have) if they wish to have all those nice things (like cigarettes and free booze) that they've become oh-so accustomed to receiving from the taxpayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Employers test people to make sure they are not on drugs.
    If the unemployed want to be employed then a first step is not to test positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Absolutely great idea. My brother used to think that his social welfare payments were best spent on cans of Karpackie, Amber Leaf rollies, and heading out to Connemara in a loud, death-trap of a car to smoke weed with other man-children. 

The marijuana ended up 'doing his head in', so he gave it up. He now has a job, a sensible haircut, and hobbies that involve more than getting high on a Tuesday evening while playing Fifa 17 with other government artists.

Why would I be in the habit of forcing businesses to hire incompetent staff? That sounds like a very authoritarian proposal....
    Although judging by the braindead proposals of forcing homeowners to rent out their homes that this government have put forward, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised.

Whether they're employable or not is not our problem. They best make themselves employable (just as the rest of us have) if they wish to have all those nice things (like cigarettes and free booze) that they've become oh-so accustomed to receiving from the taxpayers.

it is our problem if they are unemployable, as if wellfare isn't availible and they want nice things then crime will rise and we will pay forit. they can't make themselves employable, they can't be made to be employable.
    i'm glad you agree that forcing employers to employ incompetent staff is a bad idea, so do i.

it is our problem if they are unemployable, as if wellfare isn't availible and they want nice things then crime will rise and we will pay forit. they can't make themselves employable, they can't be made to be employable.
    i'm glad you agree that forcing employers to employ incompetent staff is a bad idea, so do i.

So what you're saying is that society is being held to random and blackmailed by particular individuals and if said ransom if not paid then there will be trouble to pay in the form of violence and theft of ones property?

What a sorry state of affairs.

I can think of a few solutions to this and all of them involve the physical removal from society of those who disrespect the sanctity of property rights.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Great idea!

But, online forums tend to have a young male demographic who are into drugs so expect this to be called a terrible idea.

well i'm not a young man, the only drug i'm interested in is the odd can of drink (which is still a drug as alcohol is a drug)
    yet i think this idea, as populist as it will be, has a lot of pitfalls but would solve nothing. we have to be practical and deal with reality, and while populism is nice it rarely brings anything to the table.
    So what you're saying is that society is being held to random and blackmailed by particular individuals and if said ransom if not paid then there will be trouble to pay in the form of violence and theft of ones property?

What a sorry state of affairs.

I can think of a few solutions to this.

i agree, it is a sorry state of affairs. however unfortunately, reality in general can be a sorry state of affairs.

I can think of a few solutions to this and all of them involve the physical removal from society of those who disrespect the sanctity of property rights.
    A final solution... if you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Great idea I'd go further and anyone on a medical card should come with the conditions that they aren't allowed drink or smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This should be extended to all public servants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can we screen ex tds on massive pensions for drink and drugs too as they get a large amount of tax payers contributions, hope the drug testers come to me they'll see diabetic meds, large quantities of antibiotics and we'll that's about it but then again sick people on disability are the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You can't be doing your nixers if your heroined out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I'd be all for it. Drug test everyone tbh. And I'm someone who's partial on the occasion. But it'll never work. Like the professional athletes who beat the system without even trying it's incredibly easy to beat a normal drug test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Can we screen ex tds on massive pensions for drink and drugs too as they get a large amount of tax payers contributions, hope the drug testers come to me they'll see diabetic meds, large quantities of antibiotics and we'll that's about it but then again sick people on disability are the devil.

Great idea to test ex TDs or any public servant.

And I assume the drug testers don't go to you, you go to an office and get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've long felt that if you draw the dole you should be expected to present yourself daily at 10 am to show yourself to be sober. There's no way that being on welfare should be easier than working. It would get people in the working discipline.

boombang wrote: »
    I've long felt that if you draw the dole you should be expected to present yourself daily at 10 am to show yourself to be sober. There's no way that being on welfare should be easier than working. It would get people in the working discipline.

unfortunately it wouldn't get people in the working discipline. those who want to work are looking and doing what they can and the people we are talking about are unemployable and not wanted by employers.

unfortunately it wouldn't get people in the working discipline. those who want to work are looking and doing what they can and the people we are talking about are unemployable and not wanted by employers.

Get rid of the minimum wage then and there will be plenty of jobs for these "unemployable" individuals. It's the only solution. At present if you're not worth 350 odd Euro a week then you're sent to the dole queue - the solution is simply, these people do not posses the skills that warrants E350. So get rid of it and employers might find work for them that they'll be willing to give 200, 250, 300 Euro or whatever towards...it's more than they're getting on the dole anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Taxpayers getting welfare are essentially getting back their own money and can spend it any way they want.

Advertisement