Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Book readers" - Season 8 - Speculation thread - Spoilers on thread from 15th Apr

• 28-08-2017 9:10am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Preempting the upcoming season by including some highlights from the charter.

This is ONLY about the last season! Information from any other non book source are allowed to be posted with SPOILER tags. Such information has to directly relate to the season however and be clearly marked as for example "DVD lore from Season X relating to matter Y"
    Lore and conclusions go here

13th April
    Mod:
    Note this thread WILL contain spoilers from Monday forward. Any spoilers needs to follow the same rule as the episode thread (i.e. spoiler tag until Wednesday Midnight for the specific episode).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Most of my predictions for this season have gone down the toilet :(:D , so not hoping for much here but here's a few!

Here is one wild one(I've read it somewhere but added to it)..... Bran is or is partly the Night King. When he was in the flashback at his creation he got stuck in the guy's body and now he is part of him. Hence why the Night King knew a dragon would come and why he's waited for so long as the Three Eyed Raven angle sees everything. The fact the show have mostly shown the Night King when Bran is in Warg mode gives me hope it could be true.

Jaime will end up with Brienne, but Jaime will kill Cersei at some stage near the end. Poor auld Tormond and Beric will be the first deaths in the final season.

The Hound will hook up with Sansa...but will also end up killing his brother after the great war.

We will see a flashback of the Battle of the Trident around the time Jon finds out about his parentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Jon (Aegon) dies in the end. His son which is now in Danys belly is the prince that was promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Tyrion betrays (or has betrayed) Danaerys. Reason for the strange look on his face at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Kunkka wrote: »
    Here is one wild one(I've read it somewhere but added to it).....
    Bran is or is partly the Night King. When he was in the flashback at his creation he got stuck in the guy's body and now he is part of him. Hence why the Night King knew a dragon would come and why he's waited for so long as the Three Eyed Raven angle sees everything. The fact the show have mostly shown the Night King when Bran is in Warg mode
    gives me hope it could be true.

I've read and I'm in complete agreement with this theory.
    I usually hate time travel in plots, but it might work properly here.
    Wailin wrote: »
    Tyrion betrays (or has betrayed) Danaerys. Reason for the strange look on his face at the end.

Maybe. If it happens, it'll be Dany getting pissy about it while Tyrion doesn't see it as a betrayal at all - similar to Cersei accusing Jamie of it. I presume it involves her potential child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

So a few theories

First half of the season will be the battle of the Dawn centred around the North.

First ep will feature a mirror of the first ever episode where the Queen/King meets the Lady/Lord of Winterfell

Bran is revealed to be the Night King.
    Dany gives birth
    Dany and Drogon die while battling the Night King and Viserion
    Jon/Rhaegal defeat the Night King

Skirmishes around the North, Meera reappears for a scene

Sansa is kidnapped and taken to Kings Landing as a hostage to prevent the North attacking the South

Maybe Arya/Cersei or Hound/Mountain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Kunkka wrote: »
    Here is one wild one(I've read it somewhere but added to it)..... Bran is or is partly the Night King. When he was in the flashback at his creation he got stuck in the guy's body and now he is part of him. Hence why the Night King knew a dragon would come and why he's waited for so long as the Three Eyed Raven angle sees everything. The fact the show have mostly shown the Night King when Bran is in Warg mode gives me hope it could be true.

My thinking is that the Night King is/was a Stark, so has a similar ability to Bran.
    He was able to see that Jon had made an alliance with Dany.
    It would explain why he waiting it out on the lake, knowing that the dragons were on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Dany will dump Jon in the first episode.
    Poor Dany, she's used to experienced men like Daario and Drogo.
    Ont night with awkward Jon is enough for her. Dont forget, he's had a few goes on Ygriette, and then nothing for years. He fails to satisfy her, and she leaves him for Tyrion, a man of experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Cersei will try to attack the North while they are busy with the White Walkers.
    Howland Reed tries to prevent the southern army getting into the North. He is killed but Meera survives.
    Jamie will kill Cersei and then die tragically.
    Hound and Mountain battle it out.
    Melisandre returns and confirms Jon as Azor Ahai. He fights the NK from aboard a dragon. Both die.
    Beric dies in the final battle. Tormund is found at the end by Brienne atop a pile of the dead, grinning like a maniac.
    Bran raises the wall again and somehow wargs into it in case the threat ever returns.
    Arya and Gendry team up. He is legitimised by Dany and granted the Stormlands.
    Sansa remains Lady of Winterfell.
    Sam is released from his NW oath and becomes lord of Horn Hill.
    Dany gives birth to a son who will rule in both Westeros and Essos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Said it before but I'll say it here:

Dany and Jon die in the end, fighting off the White Walkers successfully (the bittersweet ending GRRM speaks of), having claimed the Iron Throne already (maybe via Jaime taking out Cersei). They set in place a succession plan for democratically elected leaders following them, which Tyrion wins. Tyrion ends the show on the Iron Throne with Varys as his hand.

Reason being: it's really cheap if Dany and Jon have a baby after all the talk of Dany not being able to, it sells that whole aspect out completely. "Remember we established that early on as a major plot point for Dany? Yeah it was just BS..." Dany and Jon are heroes, but they aren't rulers. Dany couldn't keep the peace in Mereen and Jon needs Sansa to keep the Northern lords in line. Tyrion, though, it's been long established is quite good at ruling (war? Notsomuch). He fulfills Dany's break the wheel pledge as the series ends with Sam writing ASOIAF.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Daith wrote: »
    Sansa is kidnapped and taken to Kings Landing as a hostage to prevent the North attacking the South

Get the **** out of here Sansa is done with all of that. :P

The show seems to be playing it straighter than the books, so I'd like to think Jon and Dany will be King and Queen in the end. If one of them dies I hate to say it will be Jon, in the bitter he was saved by the Lord of Light to complete his ultimate purpose type of way.

Dany will carry his child and sit upon the throne, breaking the wheel by giving the 7 kingdoms greater autonomy. Sam will rule the South. Tyrion the West. Sansa the North. Not sure about the East. Jorah will be her new Hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The show seems to be playing it straighter than the books, so I'd like to think Jon and Dany will be King and Queen in the end. If one of them dies I hate to say it will be Jon, in the bitter he was saved by the Lord of Light to complete his ultimate purpose type of way.

Dany will carry his child and sit upon the throne, breaking the wheel by giving the 7 kingdoms greater autonomy. Sam will rule the South. Tyrion the West. Sansa the North. Not sure about the East. Jorah will be her new Hand.

If the Night's Watch still exists at the end then perhaps Jorah will take the black and become Lord Commander.

She does reference how "safe" she is in Winterfell and if Cersei Lannister wants her as a slave, she'd have to come and get her.

What I mean is that Sansa has finally found her place after much trauma under the thumb of those who'd use her as a pawn. With 6 or 7 episodes left, I'd be unhappy to see her relegated to that of a pawn again at this stage.

What I mean is that Sansa has finally found her place after much trauma under the thumb of those who'd use her as a pawn. With 6 or 7 episodes left, I'd be unhappy to see her relegated to that of a pawn again at this stage.

If you think this story has a happy ending, etc, etc.

I just think the show has been dropping anvils about this. I mean, I hope not but is she going to be sitting around Winterfell all season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The original plan that GRRM had in 1993 was for Dany, Jon Snow, Bran, Arya and Tyrion to make it to the end of the story so that would assume Sansa is expendable in season 8 http://imgur.com/a/mrrK4

Sansa is expendable, and I wouldn't be surprised if she dies. I'm just saying making her a hostage of Cersei would be a step backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Sansa is expendable, and I wouldn't be surprised if she dies. I'm just saying making her a hostage of Cersei would be a step backwards.
    Sansa will die during the fight for winterfell me think once the walkers reach the stronghold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dario will turn up leading the golden company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The original plan that GRRM had in 1993 was for Dany, Jon Snow, Bran, Arya and Tyrion to make it to the end of the story so that would assume Sansa is expendable in season 8 http://imgur.com/a/mrrK4
    I didn't read all that and stopped after he said it would be a trilogy. He has changed the story and number of books, a lot along the way. In the first book, they are all very young and apparently there was supposed to be a five year leap in the next book to age them up but that never happened. I read somewhere he also toyed with the idea of having Jon and Arya fall in love (yuk!).

....... wrote: »
    If the Night King is defeated, all the wights die and there is no longer any need for the Night's Watch, so Sam will be freed from his vows and can marry Gilly.

Sansa will die during the fight for winterfell me think once the walkers reach the stronghold.
    I think Sansa will end up as ruler of Westeros with Tyrion as her hand.

Tyrion has never actively sought power and when he had it as hand, he tried to improve the lives of the common people. Margery was loved by the poor but even she admitted it was a PR exercise. Sansa dreamed of being queen when she was a child but she has matured now and has no ambition to rule for the sake of power. Tyrion and Sansa both have the political smarts to be good rulers.

Jon is like Ned - a very capable commander but he doesn't have what it takes to survive in the political world and that would make him a disaster as a ruler.

Dany is irritating as fcuk. She harps on about her claim to the throne and I can't wait for her to find out that Jon's claim supersedes hers :pac: Tyrion had a very good point when he tried to talk to her about succession and she shot him down. What is the point in her taking the throne if the line ends with her?

I don't think Dany would be a particularly good ruler. She is obsessed with gaining the Iron Throne but has absolutely no plan what to do once she gets it. She had the same attitude in Essos. She sacked cities by force and then had no idea how to rule them afterwards. She has no real understanding of life in Westeros and without her dragons to put the fear of God in the other houses she would find it hard to keep her throne. In her mind she is the rightful heir but to others, she is a foreign invader with unsullied and dothraki savages.

Tyrion talks about breaking the wheel and maybe that means breaking the Targaryen rule once and for all. If even one of her dragons survives the fight against the NK and she returns to sit on the Iron Throne, then the wheel hasn't been broken, it has simply come full circle.

They also better do something about what the unsullied and dothraki are wearing. They are not dressed for winter and with 8,000 unsullied and 40,000 dothraki, that's a lot of people to kit out. Stannis lost the battle of Winterfell because of bad weather. His men and horses were dying from the cold and he ended up burning his daughter to try and appease the God's. His men weren't as badly dressed as Dany's army and yet we haven't heard it mentioned at all?????

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    If the Night King is defeated, all the wights die and there is no longer any need for the Night's Watch, so Sam will be freed from his vows and can marry Gilly.

Wasn't the Night King defeated once before by Joramun and Brandon the Breaker? History would suggest that he'll come again, so there's still a need to repair the wall and for the Night's Watch.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They also better do something about what the unsullied and dothraki are wearing. They are not dressed for winter and with 8,000 unsullied and 40,000 dothraki, that's a lot of people to kit out. Stannis lost the battle of Winterfell because of bad weather. His men and horses were dying from the cold and he ended up burning his daughter to try and appease the God's. His men weren't as badly dressed as Dany's army and yet we haven't heard it mentioned at all?????

Sansa will have made clothes for them in no times. It's her special power.

I think the Dothraki will be annihilated because of the cold. How good are horses in that weather? Have a feeling the Unsullied will do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I think the entire North will be lost early on next season and our heroes will be forced to retreat South and make there stand somewhere else in the other 6 Kingdoms, the Riverlands may be best as wights can't swim.

This will also increase the likelihood of a backstab from Cersei during or immediately after the battle.

We have seen the actions of the Night King have been methodical and without fault so far. Bran's story arc is key to his demise I feel his ability to link the past and present in the amazing Hold the Door episode will be revisited.

The threat from the Night King will be disposed of in Ep 5 and Ep 6 will be pure Game of Thrones "peace talks". Episode one to two will focus on Theon for awhile to close off the Iron Islands storyline, Euron is a now a minor villain and will be side-lined to give a bit of light to the darkness of the early episodes where the Night King makes wreck.

Ultimately I cannot see the Lannister twins surviving. I think Jorah will give his lift to save Dany or Jon. Another Stark is surely for the block and I cannot see the point of a 3ER once the NK is toast. The ending should be bitter sweet.

Wasn't the Night King defeated once before by Joramun and Brandon the Breaker? History would suggest that he'll come again, so there's still a need to repair the wall and for the Night's Watch.
    He wasn't fully defeated or he'd be dead now. He was pushed back and the Children of the Forest erected the Wall to keep him contained. At least that's my understanding of it.

• Advertisement

Another Stark is surely for the block and I cannot see the point of a 3ER once the NK is toast. The ending should be bitter sweet.
    People are pretty meh about Bran and like you say, once the NK goes, Bran doesn't really have a purpose. Arya is a fan favourite so she should die over Sansa.

Advertisement