Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rule Changes for 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ok... im gona say it...

Fancy moving platform. Nfl.com suckity sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Would definitely prefer a full flex (wr/te/rb) option instead of the 3rd WR. To try and get at least 5 WRs into your roster (3 starting and a couple for cover) is extremely difficult in a 16 man league whereas RBs are fairly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Guffy wrote: »
    Ok... im gona say it...

Fancy moving platform. Nfl.com suckity sucks

NFL gets some bad raps. That said, it has some plus points when compared to ESPN:

- it has much more reliable performance the past couple of years, and hasn't suffered the kind of disruption ESPN suffered to start the last couple of years
    - for people autodrafting, the ability to edit your pre draft rankings is a simple feature that is quite effective
    - on demand clickable highlights of all scoring plays is nice. Fantasy is supposed to be fun after all
    - the desktop app is nice, and superior imo to competing ones I've seen (their mobile app does leave a small bit to be desire usability wise)

Just playing Devil's Advocate here. The grass is always greener, but there's a robustness to NFL.com that shouldn't be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

A few from me but mostly thanks to Adrian and the league GMs who have a relatively thankless job setting all this up for our enjoyment!

As others have said - definitely a flex position in place of the 3rd WR
    Happy enough with NFL.com. NFL and ESPN have their advantages and disadvantages. There really isn't a huge difference.
    I'd favour PPR.
    Support using previous seasons position to determine draft order with newbies assigned randomly thereafter.
    Don't like the auction craic, wouldn't want changed to it.

GRMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

hots wrote: »
    Would definitely prefer a full flex (wr/te/rb) option instead of the 3rd WR. To try and get at least 5 WRs into your roster (3 starting and a couple for cover) is extremely difficult in a 16 man league whereas RBs are fairly easy.

I would argue the opposite is true. Most teams deploy 3 WR's and only 1 RB, so it is far easier to stock up on WR's. That said, the 3rd WR being a flex player would certainly help as the Waiver is fairly bereft of talent in a 16 team league!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

infacteh wrote: »
    I would argue the opposite is true. Most teams deploy 3 WR's and only 1 RB, so it is far easier to stock up on WR's. That said, the 3rd WR being a flex player would certainly help as the Waiver is fairly bereft of talent in a 16 team league!

There are a lot of fantasy relevant rb2s in the league, not so many wr3s and beyond I'd say...

Can I clarify what the H2H tiebreaker criteria is supposed to be please?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat the Patriot

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Can I clarify what the H2H tiebreaker criteria is supposed to be please?

I believe its H2H matchups during the season. I finished in 8th place with the same record as the two teams who finished ahead of me (All 3 of us on a 7-6 record). After checking back over the weeks, both of the teams ahead of me had defeated me previously in our matchups & therefore they may have won any tie-break? I'm not 100% sure though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

H2H is how it works. Starts off with H2H to against each other and then if that is tied H2H against common teams played. Same as the actual NFL.

Edit : I was wrong here. See the Post below. Their rules are misleading at best.

Best Breakdown I have seen for it is this:

By default, tie breakers for season standings in the case of an overall W-L-T record tie are as follows:

Head-to-Head Record (NFL-Managed Default) the name is misleading; this means the winning percentage in games against other tied teams. In situations with more than two tied teams, the record between any two of the tied teams is irrelevant. This means one team could have beaten another and be ranked below them.

Divisional Winning Percentage (if your custom league uses multiple divisions)
    Points Scored For
    Points Scored Against (Most Difficult Schedule)
    TO BREAK STANDINGS TIES, DEFAULT SETTING

The default standings tie-breaker setting for NFL Fantasy (and the NFL itself) is called �Head-to-Head�: when multiple teams have the same record, they are ranked in order of win-loss-tie percentage in matchups played against all the other tied teams together/combined. Individual matchups are irrelevant.

EXAMPLE: Say A, B, C, and D are 3-1, and that A beat B and C, B beat C, and D didn't play anyone in the group.

A is 2-0 against teams in the tied group.
    B is 1-1 against teams in the tied group.
    C is 0-2 against teams in the tied group.
    D is 0-0 against teams in the tied group.
    So A is first, B is second, and C and D are tied.

In leagues with divisions, the second tie-breaker is Divisional Winning Percentage, followed by Points For. In leagues without divisions, the second tie-breaker would be Points For.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

hots wrote: »

+1 for this change. I saw the comments that most NFL teams deploy 3 WR's so it should be easier to find WR's to fill 3 spots, but I think any given Fantasy teams in a 16 man league could have either a good WR roster or a good RB roster. Right now my team has 4 viable RB options, but I've been scaping all year to find 3 WR's.
    I'd love the option to play 3 RB's.

Thanks for the explanation. Really think straightforward points for is the best way to go for deciding tie breakers. That's really a much better indicator of who has had the better roster consistently over the course of a regular season.

Thanks for the explanation. Really think straightforward points for is the best way to go for deciding tie breakers. That's really a much better indicator of who has had the better roster consistently over the course of a regular season.

Is it though? One of the leagues I am in the highest scoring guy failed to make the playoffs and in fact in the Prem the highest scoring team failed to make the playoffs. From my experience the highest scoring team doesn't always make the better team especially in a standard lineup and scoring league.

Looking at the Prem I am 10-3 and 2 games up on the 2nd 3rd and 4th ranked teams who are 8-5 and 4th best team in scoring and as I said the first best team failed to make the playoffs and finished 6-7.

In my opinion I don't think highest scoring is any fairer than the Head to Head system as is. Just my opinion though. We could debate this until the cows come home and to be honest even if it was voted in it will never please everyone. Pros and cons to both systems

Dont know if it allows it on the nfl platform but i always thought the final playoff spot should be reserved for the next highest scoring team.

4 x division winners
    1 x highest ranked non division winner
    1 x highest scoring team not in playoffs

Dont know if it allows it on the nfl platform but i always thought the final playoff spot should be reserved for the next highest scoring team.

4 x division winners
    1 x highest ranked non division winner
    1 x highest scoring team not in playoffs

NFL.com doesn't allow you to change the Tied Rules either 1 of 3 of their options.

Is there a reason we stick with nfl.com?

It was the original platform used and not sure if we voted on it but you could propose the change and let people decide what they want.

But you then would also have to propose how the Playoff Ties are handled.

So

Your two Proposals

- Go to other platform

- Change how the ties are done.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    It was the original platform used and not sure if we voted on it but you could propose the change and let people decide what they want.

But you then would also have to propose how the Playoff Ties are handled.

So

Your two Proposals

- Go to other platform

- Change how the ties are done.

Not ties... but to give the 6th playoff spot to the next highest point scorer not qualified. May need a site where playoff teams can be set manually. If that can be done on nfl.com wouldnt need to propose a change of platform.

Not ties... but to give the 6th playoff spot to the next highest point scorer not qualified. May need a site where playoff teams can be set manually. If that can be done on nfl.com wouldnt need to propose a change of platform.

Manually adjusting playoff teams still falls under a vote though.

You would have to get everyone to vote in your whole proposal which right now goes against the current settings.

We got to remember there is what 8 league now and 16 teams in each league. We have to give everyone the option to agree to the changes. These are community based leagues after all.

Manually adjusting playoff teams still falls under a vote though.

You would have to get everyone to vote in your whole proposal which right now goes against the current settings.

We got to remember there is what 8 league now and 16 teams in each league. We have to give everyone the option to agree to the changes. These are community based leagues after all.

O i get that sorry. What i meant was that if it was possible to do that i wouldnt necessarily propose a change of platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 P Sheriff Manning 18

There’s no one else looking to up it to even 0.5 ppr? STD scoring is just too basic and the power of the touchdown is so overpowering and comes down to luck really. Unless you’re toting zeke or dj or other work horses who will always be on the field. Like last year if you had Blount you were in the mix for a championship, this year if you have kamara or Ingram you’re in the mix. The real valuable possession receivers but aren’t real touchdown guys are made redundant.

Especially in deeper leagues with 16 teams you’re really struggling to find valuable pieces when you hit the 7/8/9th rounds. The third down/pass catching rbs are actually worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

It's a different dynamic alright. I'd be willing to consider if it would see more players worth more more often. I'm finding things a bit staid at the moment with minimal roster changes of use from the time of the draft. Autodraft, optimise line-up, play the lottery that is waivers - rinse and repeat. Maybe that's just the nature of the beast but I'd definitely be willing to try something that might shake it up a bit.

Is it though? One of the leagues I am in the highest scoring guy failed to make the playoffs and in fact in the Prem the highest scoring team failed to make the playoffs. From my experience the highest scoring team doesn't always make the better team especially in a standard lineup and scoring league.

Looking at the Prem I am 10-3 and 2 games up on the 2nd 3rd and 4th ranked teams who are 8-5 and 4th best team in scoring and as I said the first best team failed to make the playoffs and finished 6-7.

In my opinion I don't think highest scoring is any fairer than the Head to Head system as is. Just my opinion though. We could debate this until the cows come home and to be honest even if it was voted in it will never please everyone. Pros and cons to both systems

I would suggest the highest scoring teams not making playoffs to be a significant statistical anomaly. Either because they are boom and bust to an outlier degree from one week to the next; or they have suffered a way above average Points Against and keep coming up against other team's seasonal efforts or close to it. My general experience is that points scored and placing are highly correlated. This makes sense like - putting up a higher average points tally is going to make you harder to beat each week.

Bear in mind that, unlike the real NFL, the players we have don't face off against each other. Having head to head match ups each week makes it really entertaining and - like having no duplication of players across a league - is a significant improvement over the old soccer fantasy model. But ultimately all owners can control is their own starting lineup each week and how many points they're putting on the board consistently. It ultimately makes complete sense to have tiebreakers come down to something largely within everyone's own control. If you could play defense against common opponents like in the real NFL then the NFL tiebreaker would make sense in fantasy. You can't and so it doesn't.

We might not agree, but I have to say that any other league I've been in has defaulted to points for as the tiebreaker. Just because something is a default on NFL.com is hardly a good reason for sticking with it. I mean, on NFL.com you can't even see a readout of divisional records. As such, there is no visibility on who is leading a tiebreaker. That in of itself is a really good reason to move away from it.

There’s no one else looking to up it to even 0.5 ppr? STD scoring is just too basic and the power of the touchdown is so overpowering and comes down to luck really. Unless you’re toting zeke or dj or other work horses who will always be on the field. Like last year if you had Blount you were in the mix for a championship, this year if you have kamara or Ingram you’re in the mix. The real valuable possession receivers but aren’t real touchdown guys are made redundant.

Especially in deeper leagues with 16 teams you’re really struggling to find valuable pieces when you hit the 7/8/9th rounds. The third down/pass catching rbs are actually worth something.

I'd definitely be in favour of 0.5 ppr as a change. I agree that a deeper league with standard scoring creates a huge dependency on touchdowns which are far less predictable than targets.

I would suggest the highest scoring teams not making playoffs to be a significant statistical anomaly. Either because they are boom and bust to an outlier degree from one week to the next; or they have suffered a way above average Points Against and keep coming up against other team's seasonal efforts or close to it. My general experience is that points scored and placing are highly correlated. This makes sense like - putting up a higher average points tally is going to make you harder to beat each week.

Bear in mind that, unlike the real NFL, the players we have don't face off against each other. Having head to head match ups each week makes it really entertaining and - like having no duplication of players across a league - is a significant improvement over the old soccer fantasy model. But ultimately all owners can control is their own starting lineup each week and how many points they're putting on the board consistently. It ultimately makes complete sense to have tiebreakers come down to something largely within everyone's own control. If you could play defense against common opponents like in the real NFL then the NFL tiebreaker would make sense in fantasy. You can't and so it doesn't.

We might not agree, but I have to say that any other league I've been in has defaulted to points for as the tiebreaker. Just because something is a default on NFL.com is hardly a good reason for sticking with it. I mean, on NFL.com you can't even see a readout of divisional records. As such, there is no visibility on who is leading a tiebreaker. That in of itself is a really good reason to move away from it.

I see all your point and agree with some of them and I am not against the change if it happens but as I said all of it needs to be voted on so set forth your proposal in a post and let those like to vote which is what I think the Mods want to happen for the vote. I would rather a poll myself like we did 2 years ago easier to seperate out the threads and let the polls decide

For what it is worth all of my other leagues are Non standard and only one of them other than the Boards uses the head to head over points scored. Personally I like how tough these leagues are because they are the most competitive leagues I am in right now even though I am in some pretty high paying league elsewhere. What makes these league great is everyone in the Prem anyways are so active and on top of the waiver and FA and keep their teams turning over and it makes for a tight battle every year. The toughness seems to keep people on their toes making the league extremely competitive.

I am not against any these leagues changing if that what people want it is what it is and it aint what it aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Addition of a flex position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

As far as I can see in our league, the defense doesn't get any points for blocking punts or field goals/PAT. I could be wrong here as well but punt returns aren't scorable either are they? Is this just the way it is on the NFL site or is the option there for the defense to score? It's a pretty big part of a defense's arsenal to be able to deny points with these big plays so I think that should be rewarded if possible?

Isn't there already a ppr league on boards?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hoki wrote: »
    As far as I can see in our league, the defense doesn't get any points for blocking punts or field goals/PAT. I could be wrong here as well but punt returns aren't scorable either are they? Is this just the way it is on the NFL site or is the option there for the defense to score? It's a pretty big part of a defense's arsenal to be able to deny points with these big plays so I think that should be rewarded if possible?

I'm not sure what way it is setup, you can check the settings on your league page, and the charter in the sticky's should have what the scoring is setup as.

I don't think you get any points for ST blocked punts or return yards. You get points if the return goes for a TD as far as I know.
    Isn't there already a ppr league on boards?

This thread is about the main leagues and changes we could make there so the option of a 0.5 Ppr is something I think we should discuss.

Advertisement