Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Questions to ask

Options
  • 25-08-2017 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

These 7 questions I have asked myself and others, the number of different responses is truly amazing and if you can get honest answers it speaks volumes about yourself and others...

Do you ever have the slightest doubts about your truths?
    Is there anything in your life that you are 100% certain about?
    Have you ever thought about why or how you can be certain?
    Do you know the difference between truth, belief, fact, law, rule, theory and hypothesis?
    Do you study the history of every science and religion?
    How do you know if you are correct in your beliefs?
    Do you try to understand why others doubt or ridicule your beliefs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My 7 questions:
    • Will the Packers win the SB?
    • Will Aaron Rodgers win the MVP?
    • Will Stoke finish higher than 9th this season?
    • Is pineapple ok on pizza, even for atheists?
    • Is a jaffa cake a biscuit or a cake?
    • Why can I not touch my toes any more?
    • Is the meaning of life really 42?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

RichieO wrote: »
    These 7 questions...

I'll bite

No, I don't have any truths per se, just a small amount of imperfect knowledge.

Yes, 100% certain I love my wife and kids. 99.999999999999% death is pretty much a given. That whole head in a jar thing going on in Futurama, Elon Musk's living in a simulation, God, the Flying Spaghetti monster etc... and any other fantasy that can be imagined but not disproved make up the missing bit.

Not really, more interested in probable and possible than certain.

Do you know the difference between truth, belief, fact, law, rule, theory and hypothesis?
    Largely, but my definitions might not agree with yours.

Nope.

Which beliefs? The belief that the value of information decays over time as our understanding of things improves perhaps?

I suspect that people can become very invested in their beliefs and become very concerned when those beliefs get contradicted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

who is spain?
    why is hitler?
    where are the snowdens of yesteryear?
    where was that stooped and mealy-coloured old man i used to call poppa when the merry go round broke down?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    My 7 questions:

Who are the packers?
    Who is Aaron Rodgers?
    Who is Stoke?
    No, heresy. Burn the heretics!
    No.
    You lost both your legs in an altercation with a shark.
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

>>> Quite a bit. It's healthy to always keep your mind open to new evidence, view etc.

>>> I exist and a square circle cannot exist (and other logical contradictions).

>>> I have nothing but my senses and reason to go on.

>>> Pretty sure I do. Not 100% on law vs rule, they're pretty similar.

>>> I have done. Read a number of books on the history of science and maths. Also read quite a bit about different religions and philosophies.

>>> I can only work with the most plausible explanation for what I experience, very little if 100% certain.

>>> Doubt, complete understandable. ridicule is just despicable. I'm ok with a snigger when it comes to young earth creationists and flat-earthers.

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »
    a square circle cannot exist

It can, but you just need to add a dimension. Consider a cylinder such as a can of beer with height the same as its diameter. Looked at from above it is a circle, looked at from in front it is a square.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

>>> Quite a bit. It's healthy to always keep your mind open to new evidence, view etc.

>>> I exist and a square circle cannot exist (and other logical contradictions).

>>> I have nothing but my senses and reason to go on.

>>> Pretty sure I do. Not 100% on law vs rule, they're pretty similar.

>>> I have done. Read a number of books on the history of science and maths. Also read quite a bit about different religions and philosophies.

>>> I can only work with the most plausible explanation for what I experience, very little if 100% certain.

>>> Doubt, complete understandable. ridicule is just despicable. I'm ok with a snigger when it comes to young earth creationists and flat-earthers.

Kelly you do surprise me, from your answers I would have guessed you were atheist or at least agnostic... Which means either I am missing something or you are, not sure at this point...

My 7 questions:

I deduce you are a sports nut with a large appetite and matching gut and a strange idea about life and digits...;)

Kelly you do surprise me, from your answers I would have guessed you were atheist or at least agnostic... Which means either I am missing something or you are, not sure at this point...
    My faith in God is quite strong (for now), thanks.

I see no contradiction at all between science and God/the supernatural.

e.g. I accept the evidence that the earth is ~4.5bn years old. Clearly the bible is wrong in this regard. But then the bible isn't a science book. It's more of a history book which tells the history of God's love for humankind, with lots of figurative speech.

supernatural-venn-diagram.gif

I've read both sides of the debate and it's easy to be swayed by the likes of the God Delusion, especially when you don't bother to read counter arguments.
    when Dawkins asks, who created God, I just have to laugh. It's childish tbh.

Your diagram is flawed in that there is nothing out there that would fit into the supernatural category that is objectively observable. Not a huge fan of Dawkins myself but I would agree that belief in the supernatural is delusional.

• Advertisement

There was a time many years ago when I may have been tempted to go along with your diagram, but from my current viewpoint, no way..
    I can agree on the natural and super but not supernatural... From your first post, I thought you were very young 18 - 30 decidedly catholic and relatively inexperienced, not sure now, but I know how difficult it is to free your mind from childhood brainwashing, which I believe is the main reason all religions persist in this modern world, the other main reason is people prefer being told what to do and how to behave, it's the easy option....

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ginger_hammer

Why is it childish asking who created god? Seems a reasonable question to me. Or where did he/she/it come from? Another dimension?

Also why are the other tens of thousands of gods make-belief but this one is totally real?

Why is it childish asking who created god? Seems a reasonable question to me. Or where did he/she/it come from? Another dimension?

Also why are the other tens of thousands of gods make-belief but this one is totally real?

There are around 3k gods that are known to have been imagined by humans, some with a strikingly similar story to the one in the bible, coincidence or copied?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the universe has been around for a finite time, but god has been around for an infinite time. so god waited for infinity before deciding to create the universe? what was he doing for that infinity - did he just get bored? or are we the latest iteration in a long running experiment?

these are questions i am not seeking answers to.

From your first post, I thought you were very young 18 - 30 decidedly catholic and relatively inexperienced, not sure now...
    Care to explain why you thought I was/am 18-30? I'm heading for 50. And inexperienced in what?
    ...but I know how difficult it is to free your mind from childhood brainwashing, which I believe is the main reason all religions persist in this modern world...
    I could say something similar about atheists who have listened to only one side of the debate.

Because God, for the purposes of this discussion, is defined as the uncaused cause of everything that it not God. The starting point of the causal chain. Under that definition, it makes no sense to ask what created that God.

the universe has been around for a finite time, but god has been around for an infinite time. so god waited for infinity before deciding to create the universe? what was he doing for that infinity - did he just get bored? or are we the latest iteration in a long running experiment?

these are questions i am not seeking answers to.
    Even though you're not seeking an answer, the answer I give is that God is timeless and that he created time (and space). Of course it's hard for us to imagine no time but it makes sense in the uncaused cause idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There are around 3k gods that are known to have been imagined by humans, some with a strikingly similar story to the one in the bible, coincidence or copied?

Archetypical.

Because God, for the purposes of this discussion, is defined as the uncaused cause of everything that it not God. The starting point of the causal chain. Under that definition, it makes no sense to ask what created that God.

That sounds like an overly elaborate way of ducking the question.

That sounds like an overly elaborate way of ducking the question.
    I'm ducking nothing. In light of what I said, "Or where did he/she/it come from?" makes no sense. Obviously God did not come from anywhere if God never began.

Does that make sense to you?

I'm ducking nothing. In light of what I said, "Or where did he/she/it come from?" makes no sense. Obviously God did not come from anywhere if God never began.

Does that make sense to you?

So God came from nowhere and at no point in time came into being?

Quite frankly no, it makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement

Even though you're not seeking an answer, the answer I give is that God is timeless and that he created time (and space). Of course it's hard for us to imagine no time but it makes sense in the uncaused cause idea.
    'in the beginning, there was nothing but a disembodied, all-powerful, all-wise, all seeing consciousness'.
    i just find that a gloriously arbitrary way of explaining existence. you're trying to build the pyramid from the top down.

So God came from nowhere and at no point in time came into being?

Quite frankly no, it makes no sense to me.
    In that case you're bound to accept that space-time has always existed. infinite time to the past and future.

I would argue that this is impossible because actual infinities are impossible, only potential infinities are possible.

There's also the 2nd law of thermodynamics/entrophy to consider, which is a defeater.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Perhaps you might find it less childish if, instead of laughing at it, you thought about it?

It's actually quite a good question given that most religious people insist on causality (many atheists don't) and believe that the question "who created the big bang" is a killer question. When exactly the same line of reasoning cuts the legs off of their arguments - hence, I suppose, the laugh instead of thinking?

In that case you're bound to accept that space-time has always existed. infinite time to the past and future.

I would argue that this is impossible because actual infinities are impossible, only potential infinities are possible.

There's also the 2nd law of thermodynamics/entrophy to consider, which is a defeater.

This doesn't answer the question of where this god came from, who created it and when it came into being. Then what about the other gods? Do the same rules apply?

After reading hawkins book about the universe we are still leaning about how time can be manipulated via black holes, etc - but that is science and real - not based on a 1900 year old book written by dozens of different men over centuries, changed, edited, translated, edited, etc.

This doesn't answer the question of where this god came from, who created it and when it came into being. Then what about the other gods? Do the same rules apply?
    What?? :confused:
    Seriously, I'm not to bother arguing with you when it's clear you're not reading or understanding my posts.
    robindch wrote: »
    Perhaps you might find it less childish if, instead of laughing at it, you thought about it?

It's actually quite a good question given that most religious people insist on causality (many atheists don't) and believe that the question "who created the big bang" is a killer question. When exactly the same line of reasoning cuts the legs off of their arguments - hence, I suppose, the laugh instead of thinking?
    I refer you to post #16.

When Stephen Hawking said that philosophy is dead, maybe some of you accepted that all too readily?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

My 7 questions:

• No
    • No
    • No
    • NO NO NO NEVER NEVER NEVER !!
    • A Cake
    • Too many jaffa cakes
    • Yes, but only until age 42

I'm open to correction here, but I believe that the religious belief is that god always existed - the uncaused cause, as the deepity goes - so that means that he had three things to do on the timeline - decide to create the universe, then he had to create the conditions for the universe, then he had to trigger the conditions to create the universe - each of these three events being separated from the next by either no time, some time or an infinite amount of time.

I'm not sure how the religious ties these together. If they've thought about them at all, I would like to think that they do more than laugh at it :rolleyes:

No, you are solving the problem by saying that it doesn't apply to you.

Might make a good sermon. Does not make a good explanation.

robindch wrote: »
    No, you are solving the problem by saying that it doesn't apply to you.

Might make a good sermon. Does not make a good explanation.
    Oh man, this is hard work!

You have 2 possibilities:

1) Infinite series of cause and effect into the past and future.
    2) A starting point to the chain, beginning with the first uncaused cause. Call it X.

Which is it gonna be?

• Advertisement

Which is it gonna be?
    Physicists have proposed solutions involving both of these, but (1) seems to be preferred and plausible, reasoned solutions exist.

Your side of the discussion is quite different though. You have defined a solution into existence - being a deity which was always there, and which had no cause. Then you define that this deity is the same as the guy who, some stories report, manifested as a carpenter in first century Palestine and who ultimately got nailed to a cross and died.

Your argument works just as well if you substitute "deity" with "flying spaghetti monster".

That's not "defining" a solution - that's simply "making things up"!

Advertisement