Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding in 10 weeks and suddenly offered a business!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Bandara wrote: »
    Best of luck with it

No one here is ever being personal.

Someone wrote...

“Clueless.
    I really feel sorry for the bride-to-be and even wonder how long this marriage will last if one side of it is so self-centred and stubborn.”

Pretty personal to me !!!!

Good luck OP, perhaps there was more to this opportunity than you made out. Or maybe you’re just a canny business man, either way , we’ll done I hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Best of luck with it and the wedding, would your wife kill you if you crowbarred a taxi into some of your wedding photographs - would be great PR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 whitesheep

good luck with it. keep us posted I hope everyone else was wrong!!

enjoy the wedding I'm married 10 years now it was the best decision I ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Darocketeer

Thanks so much for all the kind posts. Yeh delighted to be married.

There wasn't much I held back from this thread regarding the business details. I just found it difficult to express my vision for this, as from most almost every angle it looked like a dead loss. However, I'm slowly but surely getting it to where I want it.

I would like to ask any mods out there about policies on seeking new drivers for my business on boards?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I would like to ask any mods out there about policies on seeking new drivers for my business on boards?

I think there's one thread in the work & jobs forum you can post in, otherwise
    adverts.ie has a jobs section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Thanks so much for all the kind posts. Yeh delighted to be married.

There wasn't much I held back from this thread regarding the business details. I just found it difficult to express my vision for this, as from most almost every angle it looked like a dead loss. However, I'm slowly but surely getting it to where I want it.

I hope it goes well for you.
    I almost bought the same business years ago that was making a fortune.

Don't forget to use your own drivers to help you recruit too.
    Taxi drivers know lots of other taxi drivers and talk to lots they just meet etc.
    Maybe use an incentive like a weeks free base for every driver they bring in
    who stays on after a weeks trial.

After all it's in their own interest to have low driver numbers to keep more
    work for themselves etc.

The business will pay for itself in 20 weeks! I'll take it.

OP, if it is kosher, find a way.

Thanks mate

First time on Boards in years! Going through my old posts and thought I'd add an update (and closure) to this for anyone who was interested.

I ran the business for 18 months. There was some really good months and some REALLY bad months (Storm Emma included). Overall I mostly ended up taking home a modest salary which was relevant to the amount of work involved.

However, despite the increase in business the inevitable happened (as pointed out by some). Many drivers jumped ship to work the apps entirely. Some came back but were never as committed to providing the level of service the customers deserved, and were accustomed to. Despite my best efforts this eventually led to a downturn in business because people got p*ssed off waiting for their taxi.

So the last 6 weeks were very tough. In fact, I made absolutely zero for 3 of those. Clearly it was time to get out.

I managed to sell the business to a competitor for €7000 so that made up for the recent loss of earnings and gave me my initial investment back.

It was a great experience and I firmly believe has helped me in my career, not just to secure a decent job that I'm really happy in, but also to know myself better (what I'm good and bad at).

Thank you to every single one of you who took the time to post. I'm sorry again that I went against most of your advise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Cheaper than an MBA from Harvard Business School!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Well done. Hat off to you. To keep a business going for 18 months without experience is a great achievement.

Good luck with whatever you are doing now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think we should make it compulsory for all OP's to return after a period of time and let us know how they got on. :D

Well done OP. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :):)

I think we should make it compulsory for all OP's to return after a period of time and let us know how they got on. :D

Well done OP. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :):)

I second this motion!! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I second this motion!! Cheers

Fair play, onwards and upwards!

Advertisement