Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think you are obsessed with wagons in this game. In the offline version, you don't get wagons AFAIK

@SuperBowserWorld

Just to add you do pull wagons in the single player game during some missions and then if you wanted to you can steal one too and travel around in that if you so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I had success at Liar's Dice at Thieves Landing late last night. It went down to the wire, so victory is even sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That new game Tchia is a goddamn delight to play. The music, art, location, language and culture are just all just magical. Beaming it's part of PS Plus Extra. Highly recommend trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

I'd only just cancelled my gaming subscriptions recently because between them and all my video streaming services they were getting out of hand and 95% of my playing time was on stuff I owned rather than subscribed, but everything I'm seeing about Tchia is going to lure me back in to PS Plus. I saw they've added Ridge Racer Type 4 too 😮

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking forward to trying Tchia but trying to clear a few games off the backlog first so will hold off until its on sale. Heard the performance is a bit dodgy on PS5 so might be a PC one.

I have been giving Wo Long a go as it's on GamePass. Relieved that I'm finding it a lot more engaging that Ni-Oh 2, which I struggled to warm to. It has real wuxia vibes with its acrobatic navigation and swordplay - very much Team Ninja playing to their action game strengths. Still think they're well behind From in things like level design though, even if I appreciate this game's level-based linearity as an antidote to an open world. It's also terrible at describing its mechanics and what to do, and the useless loot overload of Ni-Oh is very much present and correct.

Gotta say though, its deflect / parry system is endearingly ridiculous - like a supercharged Sekiro. With bosses you basically just deflect every single attack to get ahead - thankfully the timing is quite generous, although it's hilarious when some giant beast body slams you and you just deflect it with your sword 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Delighted to hear Cosmo D's wonderful Betrayal at Club Low took home this year's Seamus McNally Grand Prize at the IGF Awards. Very well deserved. I've been a big fan of his for years - love his bizarre, jank-tastic games and the surreal world they take place in. An accolade of this scale for a game like this feels like a triumph for the truly lo-fi, idiosyncratic indie scene.

The game itself is well worth the modest entry fee for anyone who likes their games weird and imaginative and filled with pizza :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

some or all gamestop shops seem be gone already ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting very near the end of Thief 3. Finished up the Shalebridge Cradle last night and I can see now why it's so well regarded as one of the finest pieces of level design of all time. Such a great piece of game design and totally unsettling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had heard so much about that level before I got to play it and it truly remains one of The Greats. Absolutely a masterclass in tension and design.

Though my first play's tone was ruined by a NPC bugging through the walls at one point.

• Advertisement

The only Thief game I played was the first one. That was over seven years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I remember PC Gamer had a little piece on The Cradle years ago

Been a long, long time since I played it but it is one of those all-time slices of gaming that stays with you. Was a massive Thief fan back in the day and while I was initially disappointed with Deadly Shadows, as were many others back then, it did grow on me. Probably not to the impact of the original games but they were so unique it was always a hard task. Never gelled with 2014 game, so much I never played it all the way through, but I never hear any great lamenting about it so probably didn't redeem itself later on.

Only tried Deadly Shadows out on the Steam Deck the other day by coincidence and seemed to run OK through the tutorial (though far to sensitive on the controls out of the box). Probably needs to be fixed up with the Sneaky Upgrade that was doing the rounds for later all the same, much like on desktop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think thief 3 is a victim of following up two legendary games. Shalebridge highlights it as it's just so far ahead of every other mission in terms of scope, inventiveness and mission design. The rest of the levels had me thinking this is fine but not a patch on the old games which were just wall to wall amazing levels. It's a bit unfair because the mission design in thief 3 is incredible compared to the tripe that passes for level design in modern games (outside of exceptions like dishonored and Titanfall 2).

Are you sure that was the first game as that came out in 1998 it may have been the only one I played. I think it's called Thief(2014). I got it free from Xbox on games with gold. I thought it was a good game but I just played the game normally rather than searching each area for hidden items as in I just collected what I found. They were stingy with achievements too as most achievements were for collecting all the hidden items which I didn't do.

That game was a bastardised triple A game. The first thief game was 1998 and the last was on XBox and PC in 2004. The 2014 one plays nothing like the original games which would be closer to dishonored which was heavily influenced by thief. The first trilogy are absolute classics.

Okay, so which is worse, Thief 2014 or Legend of Dragoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Advertisement

Thief is just a bland forgettable modern game. Legend of Dragoon is totally soulless.

Maybe there should be a new game called Thief of Dragoon. A totally forgettable soulless game 😃

Regular posters in this thread preparing for ‘the discourse’ after Nintendo confirms weapons will indeed break in Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (an update on map markers has not been forthcoming)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

TOTK looking chilled, cosy, relaxing, rewarding, inventive, fun. And on mobile phone hardware from 2015. Also, they'll sell you a new switch and pro controller too if you want.

Nintendo printing money while MS/Sony fight over a FPS. 😁

Nintendo doubling down on the physics and open world logic is very clever by them. It ensures the game will be regular streamer fodder for a long time like the BotW was and won't vanish from the public conscious like a lot of recent triple A games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ubisoft doing a sterling job upgrading games to 60 FPS ... and I think 60 / 4K ... for free.

But more bad news for them regarding crunch time in France.

They have the technical chops, but seem to screw up in other areas of game development and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really should play a Zelda game some day...

I should go back and finish BOTW. I never got far enough to be sucked into the game and I have inclination to go back to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I got past the second divine beast and gave up - the game was just too irritating and too different from the Zelda's I was used to. What they managed to create with the limited hardware is very impressive, but I just didn't find it fun. Give me Ocarina, Windwaker or A Link to the Past over BoTW any day and in terms of open world - Elden Ring is the new benchmark for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah I think elden will make it a very diff conversation when TOTK is released. I watched a bit of the vid it all looks very similar to BOTW which ain't a bad thing really but could get tiring.

I am sure it'll be great

Advertisement