Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness

Options
  • 23-08-2017 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, looking for advice on exercise program to tone not to lose weight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Define tone.

What's your sex, age, height and weight?

Current activity level?

How's your diet? What's a typical a days eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mandab

About 7 stone, 5 "6 height, female, 42, just do walking at moment not much other exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

By "tone" people usually mean lower bodyfat. The only way to lose fat without losing weight is to gain muscle, in which case you should do a weights programme. You could also take a look at your diet and make sure you're getting plenty of protein and not much sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Certainly don't sound overweight so just a general tone up should be fairly straightforward, as Zillah says a weights based program should work well, kettlebells for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 juli123

A good blend of endurance and strength training is the key! Especially if you want to loose weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

juli123 wrote: »
    A good blend of endurance and strength training is the key! Especially if you want to loose weight.
    Jesus did you even read the post.

She doesnt want to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Transform wrote: »
    Jesus did you even read the post.

She doesnt want to lose weight.

Assumed it was a spam artist because other posts are usually responses to questions that were never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Assumed it was a spam artist because other posts are usually responses to questions that were never asked.

Or were asked absolutely ages ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

mandab wrote: »
    About 7 stone, 5 "6 height, female, 42, just do walking at moment not much other exercise.

You would be medically described as anorexic given your height and weight.Have you been sick latly or always this weight? I would concentrate on putting on weight first. When I started at the gym I lost weight even tho I was trying to put on lean muscle weight. You can't afford to lose any more and imagine it would be tough on your heart if you did so put on weight and then tone it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

ittakestwo wrote: »
    You would be medically described as anorexic given your height and weight.Have you been sick latly or always this weight? I would concentrate on putting on weight first. When I started at the gym I lost weight even tho I was trying to put on lean muscle weight. You can't afford to lose any more and imagine it would be tough on your heart if you did so put on weight and then tone it.

Anorexia is an eating disorder. Just because someone is very slim it doesn't mean they would be called anorexic by a doctor.

• Advertisement

You would be medically described as anorexic given your height and weight.

They would be medically described as underweight.

Please refrain from stupidity.

Are you effing serious? My wife weighs 6 stone 5 at 5"5, she's anything but anorexic, that comment is just plain moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

bladespin wrote: »
    Are you effing serious? My wife weighs 6 stone 5 at 5"5, she's anything but anorexic, that comment is just plain moronic.

6 stone 5 is an extremely low weight for that height and would definitely be considered underweight for a healthy grown woman

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eet fuk wrote: »

Anorexia is an eating disorder. Just because someone is very slim it doesn't mean they would be called anorexic by a doctor.
    Yup. In addition to the eating disorder aspect. The person also needs to be 15% below normal weight. Which the person stops just short of. So doubly incorrect.
    Eating disorder diagnosis aside.
    The above works out at a BMI less than 15. Do you not think that's very underweight in itself.

Lo_La wrote: »
    6 stone 5 is an extremely low weight for that height and would definitely be considered underweight for a healthy grown woman

Thanks for your input but she's absolutely fine (perfect infact ;)), her bf currently around 5%, that is how she is, has always been and probably will remain, the injustice of it all.

(incase she reads this)

Thanks for your input but she's absolutely fine (perfect infact ;)), her bf currently around 5%, that is how she is, has always been and probably will remain, the injustice of it all.

(incase she reads this)

How do you compete with her boyfriend who's at 5%?

How do you compete with her boyfriend whose at 5%?

girth dude!

No, At those stats your wife is not healthy.

ittakestwo wrote:
    No, At those stats your wife is not healthy.
    How are you qualified to judge???

Medical opinion and experience suggests otherwise. Body shaming in reverse?

10 years, 2 kids etc etc and she has not waivered, she can (and does) eat anything she wants; more than me, I calculated, when we first moved in together I put on over 2 stone, she didn't add a lb. I could only wush I had her metabolism, it took me a year of very hard work and a complete re-education in nutrition to get back to where I was.

She's slim for sure but incredibly fit, that is all.

bladespin wrote:

Mellor wrote:
    Eating disorder diagnosis aside. The above works out at a BMI less than 15. Do you not think that's very underweight in itself.

Underweight but stating someone is anorexic for having a low bmi is a bit offensive.

• Advertisement

How are you qualified to judge???

Medical opinion and experience suggests otherwise. Body shaming in reverse?

10 years, 2 kids etc etc and she has not waivered, she can (and does) eat anything she wants; more than me, I calculated, when we first moved in together I put on over 2 stone, she didn't add a lb. I could only wush I had her metabolism, it took me a year of very hard work and a complete re-education in nutrition to get back to where I was.

She's slim for sure but incredibly fit, that is all.
    All these charts will say severely underweight for a bmi of 15. How are you medicaly qualified to go against thelse and say it is healthy ? One describes a bmi of 15 as starvation btw. Let's face it is very unhealthy and puts huge pressure on the heart being that underweight aswell as looking gaunt with a bony arse and flat chest.

ittakestwo wrote:
    All these charts will say severely underweight for a bmi of 15. How are you medicaly qualified to go against thelse and say it is healthy ? One describes a bmi of 15 as starvation btw. Let's face it is very unhealthy and puts huge pressure on the heart being that underweight aswell as looking gaunt with a bony arse and flat chest.

Did I suggest I was medically qualified?
    Keep your charts she has been seen by doctors several times who say she's in perfect health each time.

She doesn't look gaunt and I have no idea why you're passing comment on another man's wife's chest or arse but she is neither flat or bony, she's light that is all.

Would you have the same interest if she was say 9 lb overweight, would you be describing her as obese or have such grave concerns about her arse?

Did I suggest I was medically qualified?
    Keep your charts she has been seen by doctors several times who say she's in perfect health each time.

She doesn't look gaunt and I have no idea why you're passing comment on another man's wife's chest or arse but she is neither flat or bony, she's light that is all.

Would you have the same interest if she was say 9 lb overweight, would you be describing her as obese or have such grave concerns about her arse?

Bull**** if you think I believe a doctor said that a bmi of 15 was healthy

ittakestwo wrote:
    Bull**** if you think I believe a doctor said that a bmi of 15 was healthy

Whatever, they said she's under weight but in fine health, believe whatever you want but you're wrong.
    If I wanted opinion on my wife's weight I'd have asked, I didn't, so please keep your quackery opinions to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Underweight but stating someone is anorexic for having a low bmi is a bit offensive.
    Exactly. Which is why I pointed out that anorexia is a overall disorder and low BMI is only one aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Whatever, they said she's under weight but in fine health, believe whatever you want but you're wrong.
    If I wanted opinion on my wife's weight I'd have asked, I didn't, so please keep your quackery opinions to yourself.
    But you did post about your wife's height and weight by way of suggesting that concerns about the OP's height/weight were misplaced.

I'm not going to second-guess the medical advice your wife has received; if her doctors tell her she's in excellent health then she is. But most women with your wife's height/weight would be considered medically underweight, and the same is true for most women with the OP's height and weight. Plus, your wife's excellent health may be connected with the fact that she is, in your own words, "incredibly fit"; we have no reason to think that the OP is.

So. the fact that your wife is in excellent health does nothing to allay concerns about the OP's weight and height. The OP should definitely talk to her doctor before embarking on an exercise program - particularly one that aims to tone, i.e. to lose body fat.

Peregrinus wrote:
    But you did post about your wife's height and weight by way of suggesting that concerns about the OP's height/weight were misplaced.

I didnt, I metely posted to point out that someone with a low weight shouldn't be classed as anorexic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This thread is gone pure bananas.

This thread is gone pure bananas.

Apols, was in the gym when responding to the chest arse bit, might've been a little wound up lol, chest day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mandab

No I'm not anorexic! Have always been this weight. Just looking to get fitter and like I said don't want to lose weight.

Advertisement