Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current setup display driver crashing every 5 minutes - Get a new GPU?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Original setup was 2011.
    Replaced GPU twice (560TI for 280x in 2014, then 480 last year)
    Replaced PSU once (Some Korean brand for a Seasonic 550 this year)
    Replaced CPU (i7 2600k for Ryzen 5 1600 last month)
    Replaced mobo (Biostar H67MH for Bazooka B350M last month)
    Replaced RAM (8Gb DDR3 1300Mhz for 8GB DDR4 3000Mhz last month)
    Added SSD last year.
    The only things from the original build now are the case and the HDD.
    Well hope you get a refund on that PSU!

I built my rig in 2012 and have only upgraded the GPU. My Superflower 550w still going strong, even with an OC on the cpu and a 390! (Was pulling near 460w from the wall.)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Ok, new PSU has come in and is installed. I'm not getting random black screens any more, and all my games are working without issue (higher temperatures not withstanding). EXCEPT Titanfall 2. Getting the exact same problem - black screen, error 4101 in the Event viewer. I have the two 6 pin to 8 pins adapter in use for the 480, and TF2 ran perfectly on the older system (albeit a little slower due to the weaker single core performance of the Xeon.
    I'm at a loss.

Edit: Now Overwatch is crashing again. I'm right back where I started, only out of pocket on a new PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm afraid you'll need to do more work to narrow down the problem (trying someone else's card in your system, running with only 1 RAM stick at a trime, that sort of painful stuff)

Windows 7/8/10 has a built in memory tester you could run too:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-memory-diagnostics-tool-in-windows-7

Also check the Event Viewer in Windows:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson3/

Ran the memory tester, no issues.
    If it's not the GPU, which works fine in the other system, and it's not the PSU (which was bought today), then it must be the CPU-motherboard-memory combination, which was only bought last month!

Anyone in the Limerick area willing to lend me a spare GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

OK. Try rolling back the AMD driver to 17.6.2.
    Choose clean installation when installing.

I was having driver crashes in Overwatch but since installing the 17.6.2 one I have been rock solid.
    https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064&rev=17.6.2

• Advertisement

I finally got it fixed! (I hope)

The solution was to flash the BIOS of the B350M Bazooka to version 1.6 (release date August 2017) which automatically downclocked my 3000MHz RAM to 2166MHz, XMP turned off. I didn't make any changes to the BIOS settings and now everything is running without a hitch. (Running default AMD drivers downloaded from Windows - 17.1.1)

I just hope that running the RAM at this speed doesn't cause wear and tear. Even at 2166Mhz, it's still better than the 1366MHz my old RAM was running at. At this stage, as long as everything is running fine, I'm perfectly happy leaving it in this state.

Advertisement