Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strict Keto 5 days a week and 2 days off

Options
  • 21-08-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi just wondering does anyone think this could work for weight loss? I'm doing 5 days height protein and 2 days off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If your total calories are below maintenance, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

High protein is not keto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

As above you need to understand what keto is and why you would be doing it and what it would be
    But 5 days high protein low carb and 2 days normal would let you lose weight as it would be easy to keek calories down

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Tigger wrote: »
    As above you need to understand what keto is and why you would be doing it and what it would be
    But 5 days high protein low carb and 2 days normal would let you lose weight as it would be easy to keek calories down

Thanks can you explain the difference if you don't mind , I'm a bit confused on it

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Labcoats and Running Shoes

je551e wrote: »
    Thanks can you explain the difference if you don't mind , I'm a bit confused on it

Keto means that your body goes into what is called Ketosis. When your body runs out of available carbohydrates (from food) for energy, it switches into using fats. In part of this process, it produces ketones (hence Ketosis).

If you were adopting a keto diet, you would eat a high fat, low/moderate protein, very low carb diet. This would push your body to use fat as a fuel source as you're not eating very much carbohydrate for it to use as energy. If my memory is correct, it takes a few days of feeling lousy (termed the Keto flu) before you're meant to start feeling great as your body adapts to using fat. Hence why it would be unpleasant to do keto for 5 days and normal 2 per week.

If you adopt a low carb high fat or high protein diet, for 5/7 days per week, you would absolutely lose weight, provided you're consuming fewer calories than your body needs. You don't HAVE to go low carb though. Some people find it an easy way to cut down on calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Also (I'm no expert now so please correct me if I'm wrong) but wouldn't the 5 days a week be a bit counter intuitive? As far as I am aware Keto is a medium term plan in that you should do it for 3-4 weeks straight. If you do 5 days you feel lousy for most of it then knock yourself out of ketosis for the 2 days and go back into it next week and feel lousy again as your body is all over the place?

Don't get me wrong you'll lose weight (as you'll more than likely be under caloric maintenance) but it's probably not the optimal way to use keto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Keto means that your body goes into what is called Ketosis. When your body runs out of available carbohydrates (from food) for energy, it switches into using fats. In part of this process, it produces ketones (hence Ketosis).

If you were adopting a keto diet, you would eat a high fat, low/moderate protein, very low carb diet. This would push your body to use fat as a fuel source as you're not eating very much carbohydrate for it to use as energy. If my memory is correct, it takes a few days of feeling lousy (termed the Keto flu) before you're meant to start feeling great as your body adapts to using fat. Hence why it would be unpleasant to do keto for 5 days and normal 2 per week.

If you adopt a low carb high fat or high protein diet, for 5/7 days per week, you would absolutely lose weight, provided you're consuming fewer calories than your body needs. You don't HAVE to go low carb though. Some people find it an easy way to cut down on calories.

It would take more than 5 days. It takes healthy athletes about 2 weeks to adapt. If you're unhealthy and overweight it will take longer. Keto is all in. You can't have cheat days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you were adopting a keto diet, you would eat a high fat, low/moderate protein, very low carb diet. This would push your body to use fat as a fuel source as you're not eating very much carbohydrate for it to use as energy.
    Protein shouldn't be the main macro. But I wouldn't consider it to be low on a keto diet either.

Low/Moderate/High are fairly arbitrary terms though.
    Probably a lot clearer to think in terms of grams of each.

I aim for 50g carb, 1g protein per lb lean mass, and the rest in fat. Others might adjust to stay in ketosis, it's largely individual.
    It would take more than 5 days. It takes healthy athletes about 2 weeks to adapt. If you're unhealthy and overweight it will take longer.

Being fully keto adapted might take a few weeks, but you'll stop feeling like crap long before that. Most people will be fully in ketosis within a few days.
    Keto optimised is probably a better terms, because as soon as you are producing ketones you have adapted on some level.
    Keto is all in. You can't have cheat days.
    That's not strictly true.

A standard ketogenic diet (SKD) is all-in, 7 days a week.
    But there are other variations yoo.
    In a Cyclic Ketogenic diet you have days at regular intervals where you have a higher carb intake. It't not a cheat meal though. It has a purpose.
    It's more for advanced trainer/athletes not people new to keto trying to lose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

je551e wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Some answers to common questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Labcoats and Running Shoes

Mellor wrote: »
    Protein shouldn't be the main macro. But I wouldn't consider it to be low on a keto diet either.

Low/Moderate/High are fairly arbitrary terms though.
    Probably a lot clearer to think in terms of grams of each.

I aim for 50g carb, 1g protein per lb lean mass, and the rest in fat. Others might adjust to stay in ketosis, it's largely individual.

Very true. As I said, I'm not an expert at all and all I know is from a biology background plus the few bits you pick up while researching diet/nutrition. I don't follow a keto diet myself, am into triathlon/running and I can't really be bothered dealing with getting over the "keto flu" and properly adapting my body for using fat as a primary energy source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Bikeboo

I'm two weeks into ketosis and it doesn't work for 5/2. You'll lose weight on 5/2 once the calorie deficit is correct but I have seen some people go bananas on the off days and so, lose nothing.
    It take 3-5 days for me to go into ketosis and there's no way I'd come out of it for at least a month. It's not something you want to repeat too often. It kind of sucks till the ketones kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Thanks very much everyone for the informative posts, I was really confused. I will probably do calorie counting so and lean towards high protein. I dont have much time for exercise at the moment but will do as much as I can. I have about 3 stone to lose over 4 months , how doable is this without intense exercise..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Look up "steak and egg" diet, it might be something you're looking for (weekends off!).

Advertisement