Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naturalism and human faculties...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Simple rules, such as those in Conways Game of Life, can lead to unexpectedly complex behaviour. Is that behaviour emergent or is that behaviour predictable from the simple rules?

The behaviour is clearly both emergent and predictable from the rules and starting state. Unexpected is not the same as unpredictable. In this case the algorithm is the prediction mechanism and it is entirely reliable for any given input and output.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 melty melty beautiful wickedness

So we can predict what happens by running the rules and observing the output?

That doesn't seem to be prediction. It seems to be simulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

huh?
    Which bit makes no sense? Please point it out.

That doesn't seem to be prediction. It seems to be simulation.

Prediction regularly uses simulation, that's how we get our weather forecasts for example. For the likes of Conway's game of life, you could also use an alternate faster algorithm such that the predicted result is arrived at prior to the main result, e.g. using parallelization. If you wanted you could use a historical data instead, which is also common in prediction, so simply pre-calculate and store every possible frame alongside its next generation. Not exactly efficient, but entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

kelly1 wrote: »
    Which bit makes no sense? Please point it out.

For me it is your argument, reasoning, quasi logic and the impression that you are smart enough to disregard most of your bible but really desperate and determined to give yourself a basis to retain some sort of supernatural entity...

The reason I think this is because I have been there, although many years ago, I think I know why you have this spiritual notion...

• Advertisement

RichieO wrote: »
    For me it is your argument, reasoning, quasi logic and the impression that you are smart enough to disregard most of your bible but really desperate and determined to give yourself a basis to retain some sort of supernatural entity...
    Why don't you leave out the ad-hominen jibe and just answer the question in post #139? As I see it, nobody is dealing with this question in any kind of serious manner.
    RichieO wrote: »
    ... I think I know why you have this spiritual notion...
    Go on, enlighten me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

:confused:
    God is spirit, not a man with gray hair sitting in the clouds. And we humans are body and spirit. OK?

The body has evolved but the spirit cannot evolve because it's not physical!

We are conceived and born and somewhere in that period, God "places" an immortal soul within our bodies.

You see, that is the problem in religion.
    "Science doesn't have an answer, so you must believe my hogwash because the invisible sky fairy told me so".
    Just because I don't have an answer doesn't mean I will blindly follow anyone because they say the do.

You see, that is the problem in religion.
    "Science doesn't have an answer, so you must believe my hogwash because the invisible sky fairy told me so".
    Just because I don't have an answer doesn't mean I will blindly follow anyone because they say the do.
    It's not a problem in religion, it's a *limitation* of science. I know only too well that what I said can't be proven scientifically. I was pointing out the flaw in MMBW's argument.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, it's a limitation of science that it has not solved everything. therefore, god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I recently read this book and it prompted me to have a chat with you guys.

I know you've commented in post #3 that you're not interested in a discussion on that book but just as an aside, alarm bells should go off just from reading the foreword alone. Someone who opens with Paul's exhortation to test everything from 1 Thessalonians 5:21 and then proceeds to list out a series of bible passages as if they are fact without testing them doesn't bode well for the book's reliability as a critical thinking tool. This is further compounded by the author's first two arguments against atheism being fine-tuning (more on that later) and the complexity of DNA. I'm a big believer in leading with your best argument but if that's all she's got I'm not sure that there's much utility in going through the rest of the book.

Presumably the atheists among you would hold a naturalistic/materialistic worldview, meaning that all of reality consists of nothing but physical matter and energy. OK so far?

Well, not necessarily no. That's an assumption on your part which doesn't help to advance a debate. From your contributions on Christianity it would seem that, for all your protestation about atheist assumptions, you're not averse to making them yourself. Like this one from the apologetics thread:

"I think if you head over to the A&A forum and ask people how they lost their faith, assuming the ever had faith in the first place, you'll probably find they had question for which they couldn't find answers. Such as, how could a good God allow evil, or who created God etc. Lots of people have gone to pastors and priests with genuine questions and came away disappointed."

Perhaps a better opening for your posts might be to find out what people's position is rather than guessing. Just a suggestion.

With regard to matter and materialism, contrary to your assertion, materialism is a conclusion based on observation. You see, we know physical matter exists. We can see it, touch it, interact with it, measure it. We can do the same with energy. So we're not assuming matter to exist we can demonstrate it. By extension, we shouldn't assume something to exist until it can be demonstrated by some point of evidence (i.e. a fact or group of facts indicative of only one conclusion).

- How can matter produce consciousness? Is the quark self-aware?

Well, the answer to this question will depend on the extent and nature of the knowledge that you have. We can go through this from a mathematical perspective dealing with network theory, we can go through this in basic, abstract biological principles or we can look at the specific examples like humans. However, it would be best if you clearly defined your terms and your understanding of the topic. What do you mean when you say consciousness? Do you mean intelligence, self-awareness, sentience, all of those, none of those? Where, for example, among living organism is the dividing line between consciousness and non-consciousness. I take it from your repeated statements in this thread of a belief in an immortal soul that you believe humans have consciousness. What about primates, do they have consciousness? Or maybe all mammals do, or all tetrapods, or all gnathostomes or all animals or all eukarya.

For the moment, let's focus on humans. Do only modern humans have souls? What about H.ergaster, H.neanderthalensis, H.habilis, H.erectus. You see our intelligence, our consciousness if you will has been constantly improving over the last several million years. Although we can't go back and give neanderthals IQ tests we can use certain metrics as an analogous guide, like cerebral blood flow:

F3.large.jpg

This graph shows the approximate increase in intelligence over the course of human evolution. Sometime around the dawn of the Homo genus humans experienced a mutation which started to drastically improve our brain capacity and thus intelligence. You see, unlike gorillas and chimps we have pretty feeble bite strength. These apes have extremely strong masticatory muscles which we just don't have (we do have masticatory muscles but nowhere near as strong as other apes). Apes with this feature also have a pronounced bony ridge in the skull known as the sagittal crest, which acts as an anchor point for these incredibly powerful muscles. The cranial pressure determined by the sagittal crest means that there's a hard limit as to how much the brain can grow. But since humans lack the jaw muscle adaptation our brains were able to get much bigger. We have now identified the gene which is responsible for all this, MYH16. This gene is present in all primates including lemurs and monkeys. However, in humans the gene is non-functional, a vestigial relic of our primate ancestry.

Getting back to the original point, our specific evolutionary journey is what lead to our development of consciousness. We were a band of apes who found themselves on the edge of the ever increasing African savanna and needed to adapt to an ecosystem which forced to venture ever further in search of food. This had far reaching implications for the set of skills (and by extension mutations) which we needed to survive. Among these skills included increased language development, alterations to our social groups and ultimately the benefit of intelligence.

Consciousness is ultimately a consequence of our particular evolutionary journey a management system for the ever increasing network of skills and abilities that humans acquired in order to survive in a changing environment.

Oh, and one final note. Bringing logical fallacies into a debate is never a good idea, like your self-aware quark notion, an example of the fallacy of division. Just because your neighbour's house is twice as big as yours doesn't mean that the doors and chairs and knives and forks are twice as big as well. Humans can have self-awareness without requiring all our basic components to have self-awareness too. You should look up what an emergent property is.

- Where does the faculty of reason come from and how do we know we can trust it if it has a physical origin? So how do we know that chemical/electrical interactions produce coherent, logical, rational thoughts? Is our rationality an illusion?

- Do we have free-will or is it just a convincing illusion?

How do you guys deal with these questions?

Thanks.

I'm taking these points together because they speak to the heart of your overall question, in particular how someone, like me, who is an atheist deals with such questions. The short answer to your points about reason and free will is I don't know. The slightly less short answer is I don't know because nobody can know. It's like discussions on abiogenesis and the origins of life. We can theorise a multitude of possible explanations, each of which, in their own way are concordant with our current scientific understanding but, barring the invention of time travel, we're never going to be in a position to go back and determine which of those possibilities is actually the correct one. So the only honest response to the question is I don't know. Anything else is a form of self-delusion.

You ask how we deal with such questions. Well, personally I tend to agree with Richard Feynman when he said:

"You see, one thing, is I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it’s much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things but I’m not absolutely sure of anything and then many things I don’t know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask, “Why we are here?” and what that question might mean. I might think about it a bit and then if I can’t figure it out then I go on to something else.

But I don’t have to know an answer, I don’t have to…i don’t feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose which is the way it really is as far as I can tell possibly. It doesn’t frighten me."

Similarly, with regard to this question and your eagerness to fill the gaps in our knowledge with God did it, I also like NeilDeGrasse Tyson's take on things:

"... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance."

Now, regarding some other points you've made:
    For Christianity in particular, the strongest evidence we have is the resurrection of Jesus Christ. And many would claim that this evidence if far stronger that that for other faiths, making it the most plausible of the theistic religions.

But you don't have evidence for Jesus' resurrection. And it isn't far stronger than other religions. Take Mormonism, for example. The Book of Mormon bears eyewitness testimony from two separate groups, the three and the eight. The statement of the three is as follows:

"Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, his brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seeen URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic"]sic[/URL the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shewn unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvellous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen."

Now, this is testimony from real historically verifiable people. That's not saying that this testimony proves that Joseph Smith was legit but it's way beyond anything Christianity is able to bring to the table. The only "evidence" for Jesus' resurrection is five accounts (1 Corinthians 15 plus the gospels). However, Paul's account is by someone who never met Jesus and is a second-hand unsubstantiated claim. Then you've got the four gospels, all written anonymously between 40 and 60 years after Jesus' death. Three of the gospels (the synoptics) are just revisions of each other. So you really only have two accounts, one attributed to Mark and the other, a composite work attributed to John.
    We have no reason to take the gospels or much in the NT as reliable. Out of 27 books we only actually know who wrote 7 of them. The rest are either anonymous, like the gospels or pseudepigraphal, written by people pretending to be who they're not like the epistles of Peter, James and John. The gospels themselves aren't reliable because, apart from their anonymity there are factual errors, internal and external contradictions, fabricated, misquoted, misapplied and failed prophecies, fabricated stories including ones borrowed from Greek myth and literature, Egyptian myth and the Old Testament. Then there's the fact that the gospels aren't even written as historical accounts (although Luke tries to give his account the veneer of authority) but rather as fictional novels. Then you've got the fact that there are no contempraneous accounts of Jesus, no writings by Jesus and a collection of extrabiblical accounts which could only be very charitably described as weak and remarkable silences from historians of the era who we should have expected to report the goings on of Palestine at that time.
    Now, if you'd like we could unpick this evidence in further detail on either the historicity of Jesus thread, which smacl linked to or the Michael Nugent vs. WLC thread (or a new one depending on the mods) which are both already home to a considerable number of posts on the topic.

But there is evidence for God and I find it quite convincing. Examples:

- scientifically verified miracles e.g. Lourdes.
    - Scientific studies done on "near death experiences". e.g congenitally blind people being able to "see" during their NDE.
    - The elegance of the laws of nature and the beauty of nature (general revelation)
    - Philosophical arguments for God's existence e.g the Kalam cosmological argument. Or the mathematical argument that time can stretch infinitely into the past because actual infinities cannot exist, implying that the universe must have had a beginning.
    - The philosophical argument from morality.
    - Scientific arguments e.g (disputed) arguments for the impossibility of a past-eternal universe based on the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem.
    - Fine-tuning of the universe and multiverse models.
    - Apparent intelligence behind the design of the universe and biological life.
    - The fact the every culture in history appear to have a strong need to find transcendent meaning in life.

There's an awful lot of points presented here in a very scattergun approach which is difficult to handle in a debate. Perhaps it would be better for you introduce each point individually and debate each one to its conclusion than launch into all of them at once. But just to take three of your examples in brief to show that they're not the silver bullets for atheism you imagine them to be.

Lourdes
    The Lourdes Medical Bureau which officially recognises the "miracles" performed at Lourdes have acknowledged 67 miracles since its inception in 1883. Currently, Lourdes gets about 5 million visitors per year. So being really generous to your side of the argument let's suppose that the visitor numbers have grown exponentially in the last few years and that since 1883 the total number of visitors is let's say 100 million. So that's 67 out of 100 million, which is 0.000067%. By contrast, spontaneous remission of cancer, where cancer goes away on its own with no intervention is about 1 in 100,000 or almost 7 times more common than a Lourdes miracle.
    Secondly, and much more importantly, 67 cases have had unexplained cures. That's all, unexplained. We don't know what caused those cures and because we don't know you shouldn't claim that you do know.

Fine-tuning

Just like Nancy Pearcey whose book you plugged in the OP you seem to have completely misinterpreted what fine-tuning actually is. Fine-tuning is a commentary on the standard model. It isn't a theological argument. As Morbert explained on the last fine-tuning thread:

"The constants the standard model that require "tuning" are empirical values set so that the model produces accurate predictions. They are not ontological statements about some metaphysical set of dials that are literally tuned.

"The fine tuning argument, when it is presented in an intellectually honest way, amounts to the following: "Why does this life-permitting universe exist, as opposed to some other conceivable, but unrealised universe?" which is a more specific version of the question "Why is there something rather than nothing?" The answer, of course, is that we don't know.

But this is where your side goes spectacularly wrong. You insist an explanation must be tendered for materialism to be a valid position, but have no answer to the equivalent question "Why is there a God, rather than nothing?"

See, at the most fundamental level, a self-contained explanation for the universe might simply not exist. The universe is not obliged to be something that can be fully understood, just as God would not be obliged to be something that can be fully understood."

"Statements about 'fine tuning' are statements about the standard model. They are not statements about the universe itself. The constants that can be tuned are features of the model, and do not reflect real degrees of freedom to be tweaked by some supernatural agency.

Furthermore, even if they did have some metaphysical reality, it doesn't permit us to draw any form of probability or likelihood of them having the values they do.

A case for God cannot be made based on such "fine tuning"."

I've also detailed the numerous problems with fine-tuning as a religious argument here and here.

Kalam
    Kalam is one of those arguments that just confuses me. Not the argument itself but why so many people think it's a powerful argument for God when it really isn't. The problem with Kalam is like this.

The basic structure of Kalam is that:

1. Everything which begins to exist has a cause.
    2. The universe began to exist.
    3. Therefore, the universe has a cause (which is called God)

There are two problems here.

Firstly, the first premise states that everything which begins to exist has a cause. This, logically means that there are two categories of things, those which begin to exist (BE) and those which don't (NBE). So, for the first premise to have any meaning the group NBE cannot be empty. Otherwise, everything begins to exist including your God. Also, if God is the only element of the set NBE then the argument just becomes an appeal to special pleading. So there must be other uncaused things for the argument to hold. This undermines the conclusion that God must necessarily be the cause of the universe.
    Secondly, we don't need God to explain how the universe came about. We already have a naturalistic explanation which fits within our current scientific knowledge and has evidence (albeit preliminary) to support it. It's called conformal cyclic cosmology. The simple explanation is like this:
    Right now we are in the stelliferous era of the universe, the age of stars. Once stars such as our sun begin to burn out, the universe will eventually only consist of white dwarfs, brown dwarfs and black holes. At this point we will enter the degenerate era. During this time white dwarfs will assimilate dark matter and proton decay will begin leaving only black holes. Then we enter the black hole era. Over time, the black holes themselves, due to Hawking radiation, will evaporate. At this point the universe will only consist of massless particles travelling at the speed of light. This dark era will stretch on for eternity, as the temperature of the universe cools to zero, and the density approaches zero. But if you are travelling at the speed of light, an eternity is no different from an instant. Time, as a scale of duration, becomes meaningless. This is the heat death of the universe. At this point, the infinite eternity of one universe is no different, scientifically speaking, from the singularity beginning of the next universe. It is possible, and plausible, that the universe may exist in an infinite series of cycles with the death of each universe being the big bang of the next.

For more basic explanations of this hypothesis you can read more here:

The Five Ages of the Universe

Heat death of the Universe

Conformal cyclic cosmology

There are also books on the subject, one dealing specifically with the hypothesis above:

Cycles of Time: An Extraordinary New View of the Universe

I haven't had time to deal with each and every one of your posts because time is limited at the moment but hopefully, if nothing else it may cause you to realise that the atheist position is a little better thought out than the creationist propaganda book you linked to in the OP would lead you to believe.

• Advertisement

yes, it's a limitation of science that it has not solved everything. therefore, god.
    Why do atheists keep spouting this "god of the gaps" nonsense? That's not what I'm doing here. I'm using logic. e.g. the argument against actual infinities and why it makes no sense to ask who created God. I'm a bit tired of the kind of cr*p.

Nobody has refuted my argument that God is the uncaused cause of all that exists (for example). That's not "god of the gaps". It's the *only* thing that makes any kind of sense!

Can't we have a decent debate here without resorting to strawman, adhominen, ridiculing etc, etc. It's tedious.

That's an impressive post oldrnwisr! Thanks for taking the time. It's going to take me while to respond, you've made so many points. Having said that, one of the mistakes in debates, I think, is not dealing with one point at a time.

[Edit: thanks to everyone who took the time to post :) ]

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

That's an impressive post oldrnwisr! Thanks for taking the time. It's going to take me while to respond, you've made so many points. Having said that, one of the mistakes in debates, I think, is not dealing with one point at a time.

[Edit: thanks to everyone who took the time to post :) ]
    And that's the last we see of them...

King Mob wrote: »
    And that's the last we see of them...
    Eh? them = what? points?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

Why do atheists keep spouting this "god of the gaps" nonsense? That's not what I'm doing here. I'm using logic. e.g. the argument against actual infinities and why it makes no sense to ask who created God. I'm a bit tired of the kind of cr*p.

Nobody has refuted my argument that God is the uncaused cause of all that exists (for example). That's not "god of the gaps". It's the *only* thing that makes any kind of sense!

Can't we have a decent debate here without resorting to strawman, adhominen, ridiculing etc, etc. It's tedious.

Because it did seem that god had to keep moving, from the clouds etc. to the quantum world to the spiritual, only a few realise gods have never moved or filled gaps other than the ones in the imagination....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Eh? them = what? points?
    Generally what happens is a person like yourself says that oldrnwisr have made a good post, and that they'll get back to address them soon.
    Then they never do.

I'm wagering that's the case again here.

King Mob wrote: »
    I'm wagering that's the case again here.
    Challenge accepted. I'm not abandoning this debate. I'm not beaten yet!

The is precisely god of the gaps though. We don't know how or if the universe began, given this gap in our knowledge you're trying to insert 'my God did it'. Most everyone else here thinks that's utter nonsense.

smacl wrote: »
    The is precisely god of the gaps though. We don't know how or if the universe began, given this gap in our knowledge you're trying to insert 'my God did it'. Most everyone else here thinks that's utter nonsense.
    ok, let's break this down a bit.

1. Do you accept that actual infinities e.g. infinite time can exist?

2. Are you undecided on the beginning of the universe question? What's your best guess? Does the BGV theorem argument not sway you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

- How can matter produce consciousness?

We don't know what consciousness is. Other than we can describe what it looks like.

So far, evidence would suggest that matter organised as a complex data processor can possibly become self aware, but there's insufficient evidence to explain how that works.

We may yet see it happen with artificial intelligence at some stage in the future.

Personally, I don't think consciousness is unique to humans. We just have a language to express it in. I would suspect it's likely that most complex animals are conscious.

-- Is the quark self-aware?

It's a subatomic particle, so that would be very unlikely.

- Where does the faculty of reason come from and how do we know we can trust it if it has a physical origin? So how do we know that chemical/electrical interactions produce coherent, logical, rational thoughts? Is our rationality an illusion?

We don't fully understand how our brains work but evidence such as what happens when a brain is physically damaged would tend to point towards evidence that it is a physical and biochemical / bioelectrical process.

- Do we have free-will or is it just a convincing illusion?

We have free will but we also operate within a social structure which we use to survive and function.

How do you guys deal with these questions?

I can't speak for everyone as atheism isn't s religion anymore than not collecting stamps is a hobby, but I would look at them based on evidence.

I just accept the great unknown as an open question and exploration opportunity, rather than filling in the knowledge gaps with socially derived answers that aren't based on evidence.

The way I see it, you just have to accept we don't know a lot of things but that we are working on filling in the knowledge gaps with real information based on evidence. That's all science and the scientific method is really.

If you fill the knowledge gaps with dogmatic answers, you arrive at the dark ages again. A situation where no exploration happens because the answers to all the fundamental questions filled in with a collectively accepted (and often aggressively enforced) fantasy.

• Advertisement

Yes.

2. Are you undecided on the beginning of the universe question? What's your best guess? Does the BGV theorem argument not sway you?

Undecided. Best guess, cyclical but in all honesty, don't no. No, the BGV argument does not sway me, nor the Kalam argument for that matter.

Yes [to actual infinities]
    Why, based on what? Has an actual infinity ever been observed? Sounds a lot like a faith-based proposition.
    ... No, the BGV argument does not sway me....
    Again, why not? What loophole is available in your opinion?

Why, based on what? Has an actual infinity ever been observed? Sounds a lot like a faith-based proposition.

What in fact has never been observed are any boundaries on space time, which would be required for it to be infinite. Even if you were to allow for heat death of the universe, the universe still exists albeit in equilibrium, time does not stop. Even then, we know so little about the universe that heat death is speculative at best (or worst).

Google BGV and you end up primarily with criticisms about Christian apologetics misrepresenting the original paper, for example https://debunkingwlc.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/borde-guth-vilenkin/ That aside, it runs contrary to a cyclical model or any model other than flat space.

What in fact has never been observed are any boundaries on space time, which would be required for it to be infinite.
    And that somehow implies a boundary doesn't exist?? We haven't see a boundary, therefore none exists. Sounds familiar.

Any better examples?
    Google BGV and you end up primarily with criticisms about Christian apologetics misrepresenting the original paper, for example https://debunkingwlc.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/borde-guth-vilenkin/ That aside, it runs contrary to a cyclical model or any model other than flat space.
    Did you not look at the vid I posted about Lawrence Krauss' dishonesty? Craig emailed Vilenkin for clarification and got confirmation that a beginning is most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It's based entirely on classical mechanics, not quantum mechanics.

Just a note on this idea.

1. Yes, actual infinities are possible. Space and time are good examples of this. You see, most people's understanding of science is limited and they glean the knowledge they do have from popular sources which often leads to misconceptions. Now sometimes the scientists themselves who try to break down advanced concepts are responsible for these misconceptions. For example, I've seen people before trying to explain inflation on a cosmic scale by using a balloon with two points on it to show the expansion of the universe. However, in my own experience this leads people to imagine that there must be some kind of substrate to the universe, something for space to expand into. A better explanation would be to imagine the universe as a spoon of flour (or any other powder). If you throw this flour into the air it creates a cloud. The individual particles in the cloud begin to move away from each other and the cloud gets bigger. But the cloud's size and shape is defined by the particles that comprise it. It doesn't have a shape of its own outside that like the warp bubble universe from TNG.
    Anyway, back to the point. In our inflationary universe space, at least on a practical level is infinite. There's nothing to suggest that, even if you could travel fast enough that you would come crashing into some magical barrier that would prevent you from going any further.
    Similarly with time, while the universe may, in its current state, be finite in the past, there's no reason to suggest that time is finite in the future. The universe will essentially be empty following the heat death of the universe with nothing but massless particles but time won't actually stop (at least it's not a requirement of the model).

2. Why would the BGV get such special treatment? It's not the smoking gun that WLC thinks it is because like other sources he has grossly misrepresented it. As smacl points out in his post, the BGV paper doesn't actually say what Craig says it does. The biggest problems with Craig's view is that the science and BGV don't support the idea of nothingness before the Big Bang and the idea of a temporal beginning doesn't imply or necessitate a God to get everything started.
    You see, we can only look back so far in time. The furthest science will allow us to go is Planck time (10^-43s) after the Big Bang because this is the point at which gravity becomes distinct from the other fundamental forces. However, there's no reason to suggest that there was nothing before the big bang as Craig would like us to believe. It's perfectly possible that the hot dense energy state that preceded the Big Bang is eternal that the energy of the universe is eternal but that it undergoes a change of state every so often. Think of it like this:

In the video, supercooled water experiences a nucleation event precipitated by, in this case, physical impact. Similarly it's possible as BGV point out that the boundary of our universe is a quantum nucleation event, a quantum event which caused matter to precipitate out from this hot dense energy state.

Blowfish wrote: »
    It's based entirely on classical mechanics, not quantum mechanics.
    Then you have to accept actual infinities. Good luck with that approach.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    1. Yes, actual infinities are possible.

...In our inflationary universe space, at least on a practical level is infinite. There's nothing to suggest that, even if you could travel fast enough that you would come crashing into some magical barrier that would prevent you from going any further.
    In what sense is space infinite? Did it exist at the instant the big bang started?
    Similarly with time, while the universe may, in its current state, be finite in the past, there's no reason to suggest that time is finite in the future.
    That a potental infinity, not an actual one!
    2. Why would the BGV get such special treatment? It's not the smoking gun that WLC thinks it is because like other sources he has grossly misrepresented it.
    Again, did you see the vid about Krauss and the email from Vilenkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Then you have to accept actual infinities. Good luck with that approach.
    Quantum mechanics is incredibly unintuitive compared to what we experience as humans from day to day. It's possible that the quantum theory of gravity could abolish the linear ordering of time. That would pretty much break the one condition in the theorem and thus render it invalid.

• Advertisement

In what sense is space infinite? Did it exist at the instant the big bang started?

You see this is what I was talking about when I mentioned misconceptions. What do you think space is exactly? What do you think it's made up of? It's useful to imagine that space is somekind of substrate that has a separate existence to all the planets, stars and comets and stuff in the universe. It's useful because it allows us to visualise things like gravity, like spacetime curvature. But that's just a visualisation tool. The universe as I explained in the last post is comprised of the planets and other matter in the universe. There's no edge or boundary that is going to act like a wall if you keep travelling in one direction forever. The only thing that's going to happen is that everything in the universe just keeps getting farther and farther away. Forever.

That a potental infinity, not an actual one!

No, it's an actual infinity. For it to be a potential infinity we would need some reason to consider the possibility that time might actually stop at some point in the future. But we don't have such a reason, we have no reason to think that time will suddenly stop so it's an actual infinity.

Again, did you see the vid about Krauss and the email from Vilenkin?

Why would I be interested in a video about what Laurence Krauss said about the paper. You see, I've read the paper itself, I don't need a courtier's reply. Anyone can read the paper for themselves here. The authors are quite explicit in their discussion:

"What can lie beyond this boundary? Several possibilities have been discussed, one being that the boundary of the inflating region corresponds to the beginning of the Universe in a quantum nucleation event . The boundary is then a closed spacelike hypersurface which can be determined from the appropriate instanton"

Furthermore, the email from Vilenkin to Krauss which Craig accuses Krauss of misrepresenting higlights the problems in Craig's argument:
    Hi Lawrence,
    Any theorem is only as good as its assumptions. The BGV theorem says that if the universe is on average expanding along a given worldline, this worldline cannot be infinite to the past.
    A possible loophole is that there might be an epoch of contraction prior to the expansion. Models of this sort have been discussed by Aguirre & Gratton and by Carroll & Chen. They had to assume though that the minimum of entropy was reached at the bounce and offered no mechanism to enforce this condition. It seems to me that it is essentially equivalent to a beginning.
    On the other hand, Jaume Garriga and I are now exploring a picture of the multiverse where the BGV theorem may not apply. In bubbles of negative vacuum energy, expansion is followed by contraction, and it is usually assumed that this ends in a big crunch singularity. However, it is conceivable (and many people think likely) that singularities will be resolved in the theory of quantum gravity, so the internal collapse of the bubbles will be followed by an expansion. In this scenario, a typical worldline will go through a succession of expanding and contracting regions, and it is not at all clear that the BGV assumption (expansion on average) will be satisfied.
    I suspect that the theorem can be extended to this case, maybe with some additional assumptions. But of course there is no such thing as absolute certainty in science, especially in matters like the creation of the universe. Note for example that the BGV theorem uses a classical picture of spacetime. In the regime where gravity becomes essentially quantum, we may not even know the right questions to ask.
    Alex
    I've highlighted a portion of Vilenkin's email which I'll get to in a minute but firstly on the whole Vilenkin's email or the BGV paper doesn't help Craig's argument out. So the universe had a temporal beginning. Fine. That doesn't mean that a God was responsible. There are a multitude of naturalistic explanations for this begninning, including the paragraph I've highlighted in bold above. Like I pointed out in my first post on this thread, it's perfectly possible that the universe exists as a series of inflations with the heat death of one universe becoming the singularity of the next. As Vilkenkin points out, we'll need a proper theory of quantum gravity to know if this is really the case but so far with preliminary evidence like concentric circles in the CMBR, this looks to be the outcome.

Advertisement