Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pursuing ACCA Qualification

• 21-08-2017 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,

Don't post on here all that often at all, but do enjoy reading the various forums. If there's anything wrong with my post please let me know.

Anyway, I'm thinking of studying ACCA and would like some advice on where to start. I finished college in May 16' with a 2:1 degree in accounting and finance. Wasn't too sure what I wanted to do after that but ended up in an industry job working in accounts. Been there for a year now.

PER: I know I need to work 3 years in a relevant role, and I need a qualified accountant to sign off on my work. Another lad who works in accounts has completed ACCA. Can he sign off on my PER?
    I'm exempt from the Fundamental level exams, so I can start at P1. I know there are several study options including self study and evening courses, but I'm working in Monaghan 2 days a week and Dundalk 3 days a week, 9.00am to 5.30pm. Realistically, are evening courses in Dublin achievable? Or would self study be a valid option?

I don't mind giving up some weekends to study but would prefer to keep most free so I can spend some time with friends too. Is this possible? From what people say ACCA is very hard, and it seems like it will consume all my time for the next 3 years or however long it takes. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mr.Pat wrote: »
    Hi All,

Don't post on here all that often at all, but do enjoy reading the various forums. If there's anything wrong with my post please let me know.

Anyway, I'm thinking of studying ACCA and would like some advice on where to start. I finished college in May 16' with a 2:1 degree in accounting and finance. Wasn't too sure what I wanted to do after that but ended up in an industry job working in accounts. Been there for a year now.

PER: I know I need to work 3 years in a relevant role, and I need a qualified accountant to sign off on my work. Another lad who works in accounts has completed ACCA. Can he sign off on my PER?
    I'm exempt from the Fundamental level exams, so I can start at P1. I know there are several study options including self study and evening courses, but I'm working in Monaghan 2 days a week and Dundalk 3 days a week, 9.00am to 5.30pm. Realistically, are evening courses in Dublin achievable? Or would self study be a valid option?

I don't mind giving up some weekends to study but would prefer to keep most free so I can spend some time with friends too. Is this possible? From what people say ACCA is very hard, and it seems like it will consume all my time for the next 3 years or however long it takes. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

There are Evening Courses available in Dublin, you may need to discuss with your Employer as some would require you having to leave work earlier (not by much) to get there on time.

Self Study is a valid option but only as valid as your self discipline is. Obviously the more work you put in the better the results you'll get out of it.

Like anything the more you put in the more you'll get out, ACCA exams are difficult and require serious amount of dedication and study to get through them, that's not to say you need to be locked up for 3 years and not head out with friends, it's all down to what you want out of life.

You can power through them quite quickly if you keep the head down or if you want to have a social life as well you might find them dragging on for a couple of more years. Balancing Work/Study/Life is one of the toughest thing to manage with doing a professional qualification.

Try to remember it's all short term pain for long term gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cliff 1234

Check out the "live on line" courses, a few colleges are offering them. "Attend" lectures in Dublin from the comfort of your own home or from your employers office. Live on line means you can ask questions live. If you have an accounting degree, you should be able to do ACCA exams in a year, 18 months tops and then sit tight until you have the 3 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pedanticness

I followed a similar route, didn't get quite as many exemptions as you. Had to do 2 of the F levels and all the P's.
    I done the evening lectures in Dublin until they started live streaming them, then just watched live at home as i start / finish early. You need a lot more dedication if you are doing it yourself.
    Wouldn't quite agree with the above about doing it in a year, 5 exams in one year would be putting yourself under alot of pressure.
    Any qualified account can sign off on you're PER, but they are supposed to be a supervisor of yours. 
    I only even used AccountingSchool, which I'd recommend. But think they all offer the online now.

Advertisement