Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and Makeup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

A lot men here talking about what women should do.
    Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

What I don't get is women plucking their eyebrows off and drawing them back on in some weird shape. It would be like me shaving my head and then colouring my scalp with a permanent marker.

There's a mother and daughter 'settled traveller' living beside me. The daughter looks almost the spitting image of this.

9216b5f799402fdea6500650e8c70cb1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Only if baldie Jim shaves the bits of him that weren't hairy either that day such as his back, ears and nostrils, all of which now have their own ecosystem.

Make sure you dye your hair every couple of weeks, us men don't like to see those grey roots coming through :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One thing I don't get is when somebody spends ages on make up and then goes out in pajamas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

What I don't get is women plucking their eyebrows off and drawing them back on in some weird shape. It would be like me shaving my head and then colouring my scalp with a permanent marker.

There's a mother and daughter 'settled traveller' living beside me. The daughter looks almost the spitting image of this.

9216b5f799402fdea6500650e8c70cb1.jpg

Brown paper bag would come in handy here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Divine has a lot to answer for.

MTS_sanspaper-932469-divineIRL2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No hassle with makeup, some girls layer it on though to the extent they look completely different the next morning.
    Also, if you're going to contour do it properly, otherwise you end up with that white mask effect that looks like someone threw flour at you for looking in their letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Women wear more make-up on nights out to account for the low lighting. Apparently (and this is according to a friend that wears make-up as I don't) women also wear more make-up to account for how it will show up in photos, which is why it's happening more in daytime too.

Not sure if that's true, as I recall some fairly plastered-on makeup back in school before all the selfie craze took off, but then again, comparing what teenagers did back then to what adults do now is probably a bit unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well, depends how its applied. Some women certainly look drastically better with makeup on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You're worried about the beors with a bit of slap?
    If be more concerned why most of the men of Athlone look a bit special.

Brown paper bag would come in handy here

To get sick in?

To get sick in?

After you've done the bizz ofc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm 36 now and still have a head.
    Which is a good thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Am I the only man here who thinks women look more attractive with make up on?
    Obviously not plastered on with a shovel, but when applied with attention to detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The "do it for themselves" comments are hilarious.

Nobody takes pride in their appearance just for themselves. I'm not saying people do it to attract the opposite sex but they definitely care about how they are perceived by others.

Not only talking about makeup. It's the same with clothes or a haircut.

After you've done the bizz ofc

I'd sooner give the bag one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Oh I'm sorry you thought I naturally had glittery gold eyelids, you must feel so cheated!

No false advertising? Have you never seen a combover or the tonne of product some men use to hide their bald patches? At least I still have a face when I take off my makeup but there's no guarantee you'll still have hair in the morning!

You're being a bit harsh on us baldys, there's not a lot we can do about losing our hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

sometimes people calling other people ugly should make sure they've no info on their profile that might lead others to something else, for example, a dating site

Haha. Hahahahaha! *wipes away year* Absolute gold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I went to college with a girl and she used always be covered in make up. She dyed her hair and looked a little different. I remember on a night out I was with a friend and they said is that XXXXX I looked and wasn't fully sure and then I noticed her wonky nose. Her make up wasn't able to cover that up.

Great plot, beautiful prose.
    10/10, would read again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

You're being a bit harsh on us baldys, there's not a lot we can do about losing our hair.

Toupes, we should all get toupes apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Toupes, we should all get toupes apparently.

or a very well trained hamster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jesus Christ!!!

IS this the result of some inbreeding experiment from 25 years ago ?

Some specimens in there - male + female ...

Where is this ? Midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The "do it for themselves" comments are hilarious.

Nobody takes pride in their appearance just for themselves. I'm not saying people do it to attract the opposite sex but they definitely care about how they are perceived by others.

Not only talking about makeup. It's the same with clothes or a haircut.

It's a little bit sad that you don't take pride in your own appearance Pac Man, don't judge others by that standard. Some of us enjoy looking well for ourselves.

It's a little bit sad that you don't take pride in your own appearance Pac Man, don't judge others by that standard. Some of us enjoy looking well for ourselves.

I do take pride in it. I wasn't excluding myself from that comment and I wasn't judging either.

Should any woman make fun of your lack of hair on top be sure to comment on their flabby arse. You can't fight nature but you can control your weight ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I'm not particularly fond of balding heads or beer bellies, they're so ugly, I think it's time for every bald man out there to get a hairpiece. After all the most important thing is that I'm happy with how you look.

See I never understand on these threads when someone comes along to call the OP out on being nasty but turns out to be just as nasty (sometimes moreso) in return. It just loses any argument that may have actually been valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If you ever witness women discuss makeup, I don't think you will ever hear them talking about what men like/want. It's not about men. It's about women who enjoy makeup. Trying new products, hearing how things performed for other people etc. Go over the the Beauty forum and see or watch some of the beauty channels on YouTube. Makeup has nothing to do with what men like/want/approve of...

That may well be true of some women, but it's certainly not true of all women who wear makeup, not by a long stretch. There are of course women who are interested in makeup as a hobby, but far more women in my experience at least, do care about what other people think of their makeup and their looks, etc and how attractive they are (or indeed aren't) to both men and other women.

I've had plenty of discussions over the years with women about their makeup and style, what looks are in and out of fashion, etc, and generally it does indeed revolve around what people do and don't find attractive, and only a small number of women (and an even smaller number of men) are interested in makeup as a hobby.

(excl. males who wear makeup themselves that is such as Mannymua).

That kind of shyte can't be unseen :pac:

Seriously though, there are far too many amateur "MUAs" on social media flogging sponsored shyte "product" to kids who have no real understanding of proper skincare and end up slapping any cheap shyte on their faces convinced that they look like all that and a bag of chips. Most of the time it's absolutely harmless, but for far too many young girls being influenced by this crap, it's absolutely insidious - chipping away at their self-confidence and convincing them that they need to smother themselves with crap in order to look attractive.

If you don't like a woman's makeup look, she probably doesn't care, so keep it to yourself and get over it.

It's not the 50's, women are free to make their own decisions and if they want your opinion they'll probably ask. And if they don't, then it's not your business.

Erm, I don't know if you've noticed, but obviously some women absolutely do care about how their appearance is perceived by other people. It doesn't have to be the '50s, it's been like this since ancient civilisations and across cultures. More power to you if you can rise above it and assume your opinions are genuinely representative of all women, that takes balls, but it doesn't mean your opinion is any more true than you would like it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

See I never understand on these threads when someone comes along to call the OP out on being nasty but turns out to be just as nasty (sometimes moreso) in return. It just loses any argument that may have actually been valid.

I do not think Toastytoes actually holds the nasty opinions expressed above, I think he/she was using a little hyperbole to illustrate how irritating it is for women when men

a) assume a woman is wearing make-up for the sole purpose of impressing men

and

b) that women appreciate being told what they should do to make themselves look more appealing to random men on the internet.

Going by the reaction to TT's remarks, it appears that at least some men really do not appreciate being told by a stranger on the internet that a balding patch or a bit of a belly are unappealing and that they should do something to cover them up, so it looks like the little experiment was quite successful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

So women wear layers of makeup that takes ages to out on, wear outrageous heels, skirts the size of a face cloth and singe their hair with straighteners and douse it in hairspray all for themselves? Great one. That's not even going into the fake tan and the padded bras. Now I realise not all women wear super skinny skirts and tit lift bras but any aul doll I've come across always complaining about heels and having do their hair and makeup every day.

I've no problem with an aul doll doing herself up. I do the sunbeds myself as well as get a haircut every week, whiten the teeth, hit the gym religiously etc. But I do know I am doing so to make myself look as well as I can and attract the highest calibre of woman. Is there a part of me doing it for myself, sure but to say you're solely making yourself as attractive as possible for yourself is just batsh*t crazy.

Is it completely beyond the realm of possibility that people who are not you might do things for reasons that you do not consider important?

B0jangles wrote: »
    Is it completely beyond the realm of possibility that people who are not you might do things for reasons that you do not consider important?

We're all human, we all want to feel wanted and feel to be seen as attractive to others. That's not even going into the extreme measures that men and women do to achieve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Things I do for myself:
    Drinking
    Masturbation

Things I do for others:
    Dress and present myself in a manner that doesn't make me look like an alcoholic wanker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Burial. wrote: »
    I've no problem with an aul doll doing herself up.
    "Aul Doll"? :D *cringe*
    I do the sunbeds myself as well as get a haircut every week, whiten the teeth, hit the gym religiously etc. But I do know I am doing so to make myself look as well as I can and attract the highest calibre of woman.
    I dunno where to go with all that. Though I'm hearing the "do you even lift brah" meme. Still, whatever oils one's axle.
    Is there a part of me doing it for myself, sure but to say you're solely making yourself as attractive as possible for yourself is just batsh*t crazy.
    Though TBH I would agree with you here. Physical preening in people in general including makeup(men have worn it in many cultures throughout history. In a few it's the men who are the dolled up gender) has a few social functions; group affiliation, social and sexual competition. Together these make people feel better about themselves alright, but it's a result of the purpose, rather than the purpose itself. IMHO some men tend to see makeup/fashion on women and just see the sexual competition aspect applying to themselves. For a start if a load of western women were plonked on a desert island for a year without men, they'd likely still wear makeup(if they did before). Its part of the public face of culture and social interaction.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Burial. wrote: »
    I've no problem with an aul doll doing herself up. I do the sunbeds myself as well as get a haircut every week, whiten the teeth, hit the gym religiously etc.

Ah yes, that dose of melanoma works wonders.

Ok, what about men who spend hours at a time in the gym with the aim of developing huge muscles? - as far as I know, the majority of women find the very heavily-muscled look unattractive, so if the only true purpose people have in maintaining/changing their appearance is attracting someone, who are these men doing it for?

(Obviously some are gay men, but many are not)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I generally don't really care about women's make up choices, but I have to admit the whole drawn on eyebrows thing really perplexes me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The beginning of wisdom is realising that how one feels about something is not necessarily how someone else does. Not so easy a trick either as we're all to one degree or other "self centred" and view the world through our own personal prism.

• Advertisement

Ok, what about men who spend hours at a time in the gym with the aim of developing huge muscles? - as far as I know, the majority of women find the very heavily-muscled look unattractive, so if the only true purpose people have in maintaining/changing their appearance is attracting someone, who are these men doing it for?

(Obviously some are gay men, but many are not)

To make up for their small penises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I generally don't really care about women's make up choices, but I have to admit the whole drawn on eyebrows thing really perplexes me.

what about tattooed eyebrows?

I don't think going to the gym and make up are the same thing, are they?

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Aul Doll"? :D *cringe* I dunno where to go with all that. Though I'm hearing the "do you even lift brah" meme. Still, whatever oils one's axle.Though TBH I would agree with you here. Physical preening in people in general including makeup(men have worn it in many cultures throughout history. In a few it's the men who are the dolled up gender) has a few social functions; group affiliation, social and sexual competition. Together these make people feel better about themselves alright, but it's a result of the purpose, rather than the purpose itself. IMHO some men tend to see makeup/fashion on women and just see the sexual competition aspect applying to themselves. For a start if a load of western women were plonked on a desert island for a year without men, they'd likely still wear makeup(if they did before). Its part of the public face of culture and social interaction.

One day Cork slang will be seen as a respected language and not cringe :pac:

Yeah look it I'm not Fanta colour, but I do have a slight brown tone all over all year. I'm certainly not huge, but it's obvious I go to the gym...looking huge was never a goal of mine. The fitness model looking physique would be my own route. Fills out the clothes well without screaming "this lad is on test". Have I been called the stereotypical gym brah, sure I have but nobody will be attractive to everyone and you'll always get the piss taken out of you by some and I'm more than comfortable in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Whatever about the make-up but Jesus Christ the eyebrows are shocking,I find with a lot of girls today it's a case of I'm going to beat my face into this direction whether it likes it or not...

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

"I like women who look natural"

5 mins later on another thread:

"eeew, pubic hair"

:rolleyes:

GLaDOS wrote: »

Yeah, the superhero eyebrows thing is a look that baffles me too.

• Advertisement

Like I reckoned group affiliation, social and sexual competition. With the muscle guys it's primarily the first two. The sexual competition aspect is still there aimed at those women who are also part of that subculture and do find it attractive. You see similar patterns in I dunno Goth subculture, body mod culture etc. It's just a slightly more extreme example of what generally goes on. Humans are prone to extremes, especially when they find like minded people. The tendency is to egg each other on to the more exaggerated. An exaggeration that shifts from the mainstream.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Ah yes, that dose of melanoma works wonders.

If melanoma is the thing that gets me and puts me in the grave I'll actually be pretty happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

There's a student in for the summer in our office who is orange... She thinks she's the bees knees I think oompah loompah

To make up for their small penises?
    Funny enough... when men who get those medical procedures that aim to make the penis larger are asked why, the most common answer is less about how women will view the results and more about how other men in changing rooms and the like will.
    Neyite wrote: »

"eeew, pubic hair"

Not me. I prefer natural, inc pubes, hell underarm hair not an issue either. The preened and primped look wouldn't appeal to me. Personal preference of course and that preference itself has internal preferences. EG pubes grand, hairy legs ugh(I don't mean the odd stray hair, I mean "my god, is she wearing socks").

Neyite wrote: »

"eeew, pubic hair"

Never had a problem with pubic hair or underarm hair on the ladeez. It'd be a bit hypocritical considering my meat and veg looks like Phineas Freak from the Fabulous Freak Brothers.

phineas1.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement