Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Galway councillor suggests removal of memorial to Irish Confederate Major

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Stupid councillor jumping on the US bandwagon. Completely pointless and just trying to grab headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Sham lives matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So, the thread title is completely wrong. One independent councillor says it should be removed. The council has not said it was removing it. No other councillors have supported this one guy.

So, the thread title is completely wrong. One independent councillor says it should be removed. The council has not said it was removing it. No other councillors have supported this one guy.

Well, they have the backing of the mighty TheJournal.ie

Seriously is there any trend that they dont try attach themselves onto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

If there is ever a place to put an undignified statue it's Tuam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

I vote we destroy all Greek and Roman statuary too, they were a bit too keen on slavery for my liking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Thread title altered to reflect the truth. OP no click bait titles please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Conspectus wrote: »

As c'mon, why do we always have to reflect the truth.Why can't we just be like everyone else.
    Can we not just have a little propaganda and spoof , just once ?

Sweet Jesus how long did yer man spend trawling the internet looking for something to be offended by before he settled for this nonsense? Nothing else needs to be fixed anywhere in Galway then I suppose :rolleyes:

Well there's a statue of the Irish republican and Nazi collaborator, Seán Russell, in Fairview Park.

Hashtag StandWithFairview, Hashtag Triggered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Wombatman wrote: »
    A Galway Councillor says he wants to see a memorial on Tuam Town Hall to an Irish confederate removed.

Could Tuam be the next Charlottesville?

http://www.thejournal.ie/major-dick-dowling-memorial-tuan-town-hall-3554975-Aug2017/

Pure bandwagonning obviously and hashtag crap but just imagine if the other side won.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The media is very funny, one minute they are showing outrage against ISIS for destroying historic statues, now they are supporting the destruction of similarly controversial statues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Well there's a statue of the Irish republican and Nazi collaborator, SeRussell, in Fairview Park.

Hashtag StandWithFairview, Hashtag Triggered.

That statue has been decapitated at least once if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The media
    Has "the media" advocated either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Every band wagon attracts the attention seekers, when one rolls by they try to be the first to climb to the top and shout down to people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The most used media sources in ireland are so damn predictable. Tomorrows news will have an article on Trump, Charlottesville and an op-ed that is so far up its authors hole, that i cant think of a fittingly witty end to it. And gender, either how young girls are kicking boys asses in education or that the system is patriarchially favouring boys to succeed in subjects that males generally thrive in.

What has this to do with a statue and a galway servant/representative? News websites have become an extension of twitter and fb.

That statue has been decapitated at least once if not more.
    I didn't know that.

Was it repaired? By whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Did they ever erect that statue of Guevara in Galway?

Don’t know much about this Tuam dude, but I presume he did awful things.

Guevara was a mass-murdering sociopath, but he appears to be still very much in vogue for rage against the machine types.

Good for the goose is good for the gander, and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The best thing to do with history is to cover it up and bury it. That way people forget it and don't make the same mistakes. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

As a reader of History, I find this behaviour worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The media is very funny, one minute they are showing outrage against ISIS for destroying historic statues, now they are supporting the destruction of similarly controversial statues.

Well to be fair, they're not advocating their destruction in general, just removal from public buildings to more appropriate places, museums or whatever.

Not saying I agree but comparisons with Islamic State are a bit over dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shaun Cunniffe - "The whole point of the Confederate war was to support slavery in the South.”

This is only a half truth.
    The primary reason for the south seceding from the Union was to protect the right to own slaves.
    But the primary interest of the north was to maintain the United States as a single, undivided country.

The US founders George Washington Thomas Jefferson James Madison themselves owned slaves so it wasn't like it was a new issue beat down by the northern states.

biko wrote: »
    Shaun Cunniffe - "The whole point of the Confederate war was to support slavery in the South.”

This is only a half truth.
    The primary reason for the south seceding from the Union was to protect the right to own slaves.
    But the primary interest of the north was to maintain the United States as a single, undivided country.

The US founders George Washington Thomas Jefferson James Madison themselves owned slaves so it wasn't like it was a new issue beat down by the northern states.

If i could save the union without freeing any slave, i would do it and if i could save it by freeing all slaves i would do it; and if i could save it by freeing some and leaving others, i would also do that - Abraham Lincoln.

Maintaining the Union was the priority, not slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

As a society we are turning into a right bunch of sensitive assholes..

Lets remove statues and not talk about historical facts as it might upset someone.

Lets not have a gender in case it upsets someone

Lets remove christian symbolism in a christian country in case it upsets someone

Lets remove flags as it upsets someone.

I hate to tell all these easily offended people but things happened in the past that were pretty horrific. People owned slaves but slavery was abolished and we have moved on its history its over you are all a couple of hundred years too late with the outrage.

Alot of people need to grow up and stop taking offense to nonsensical things just to look like you give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The Celts (or that group of peoples) were the worst feckers for slavery

we're all culpable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Conspectus wrote: »

You'll be amazed at what passes for 'click bait' in Ireland. No not scantily clad young ladies and how they are just dying to meet you, or tips on how to earn €350,000 an hour from home whilst paring your fingernails, oh no.....it's something called... ''Galway County Council''.
    All true according to the Mods on 'boards.ie'...click here to find out more and how your life can change in an instant....

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The Celts (or that group of peoples) were the worst feckers for slavery

we're all culpable

No, our ancestors might have been culpable but i'm not. Kind of like how most Germans alive now aren't culpable for that thing that never happened☺

No, our ancestors might have been culpable but i'm not. Kind of like how most Germans alive now aren't culpable for that thing that never happened☺

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ninthlife wrote: »
    That's interesting, because there are a lot of offensive, malicious and dangerous assholes out there also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Ninthlife wrote: »

Lets remove statues and not talk about historical facts as it might upset someone.

Lets not have a gender in case it upsets someone

Lets remove christian symbolism in a christian country in case it upsets someone

Lets remove flags as it upsets someone.

I hate to tell all these easily offended people but things happened in the past that were pretty horrific. People owned slaves but slavery was abolished and we have moved on its history its over you are all a couple of hundred years too late with the outrage.

Alot of people need to grow up and stop taking offense to nonsensical things just to look like you give a ****.

Which Christian Country do you speak of? Ireland is an independent republic.
    Imagine being a country ruled by religious laws...

Advertisement