Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green cert options

Options
  • 18-08-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi lads and lassies, looking at doing the green cert at the moment and I wonder what are my options. I am currently working full time in a permanent job in kerry and my father is farming at home and I plan to take over the family farm in the future. I don't have a level 6 major award so distance learning through teagsc isn't an option. I have found a course offered by Westport college has anybody feedback on this course?

All help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Farmer Jim wrote: »
    Hi lads and lassies, looking at doing the green cert at the moment and I wonder what are my options. I am currently working full time in a permanent job in kerry and my father is farming at home and I plan to take over the family farm in the future. I don't have a level 6 major award so distance learning through teagsc isn't an option. I have found a course offered by Westport college has anybody feedback on this course?

All help greatly appreciated

All I know about it is that they provide an online green cert which would be handy for you down in Kerry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Friend of mine is doing the two nights a week for two years, in Westport seems happy. Another friend is doing one friday a month and swears by it, think im going to be asked to do it soon, the one day a month seems a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Farmer Jim

Friend of mine is doing the two nights a week for two years, in Westport seems happy. Another friend is doing one friday a month and swears by it, think im going to be asked to do it soon, the one day a month seems a better option.

Cheers dave ya would like to do the one Friday a month but don't have the level 6 major award which is needed to get on the course, is you friend attending the college in Westport or doin the online classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I haven't looked into this at all yet, but I've a feeling I'll be starting to look into it soon- one Friday a month for how long? And a level 6 major award- can this be in any area?

jlm29 wrote: »
    I haven't looked into this at all yet, but I've a feeling I'll be starting to look into it soon- one Friday a month for how long? And a level 6 major award- can this be in any area?

I just got my act together and opened my laptop and answered those questions for myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm hoping to start the distance learning one next March with Teagasc in Kildalton.

It's one Friday a month and the odd Saturday. There's a full week then in June/July.

It's a combination of level 5 and level 6, and takes approx. 18 months. Cost is €2,500.

I looked at another course through Kilmuckridge that was €1,900 but I'd have to drive there two evenings a week, which just wouldn't be practical for me given the distance involved.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Farmer Jim

I'm hoping to start the distance learning one next March with Teagasc in Kildalton.

It's one Friday a month and the odd Saturday. There's a full week then in June/July.

It's a combination of level 5 and level 6, and takes approx. 18 months. Cost is €2,500.

I looked at another course through Kilmuckridge that was €1,900 but I'd have to drive there two evenings a week, which just wouldn't be practical for me given the distance involved.

Is a level 6 major award needed to get on that course?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Farmer Jim wrote: »
    Is a level 6 major award needed to get on that course?

Yeah, you have to have level 6 or higher: https://www.teagasc.ie/education/courses/course-search/teagasc-distance-education-green-cert.php

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

I have signed up to the one in westport, going to do it through the online method, to me this is a more suitable way for those that work off farm, not using holidays, im about an hour and a half from westport, and had intended traveling back and forth two evenings a week.

I have also confirmed with teagasc that this is the same qualification as the course they offer

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I did the part time one in Killarney , it dragged out a long time , I was flexible with work so suited me , felt like it went on long time though

• Advertisement

jobseek wrote: »
    I have signed up to the one in westport, going to do it through the online method, to me this is a more suitable way for those that work off farm, not using holidays, im about an hour and a half from westport, and had intended traveling back and forth two evenings a week.

I have also confirmed with teagasc that this is the same qualification as the course they offer

Do you know if anywhere else offers the online version? This seems a bit more manageable than all those Fridays off work! Westport is a bit of a trek for me though for assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

Dont know of any other online ones

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi there,

I have applied for the "online course" held in palliskennery commencing in Feb im on a waiting list but the guy told me il more than likely be called in Feb.
    I am in the same position working fulltime in a job in Kerry but the course im doing is 15-18 months one day a month in Pallis.
    I will have keep 12 days hols a year to work around this. I have a level 6 from Ittralee in a course (nothing to do with farming doesnt matter once its level 6 or above) i done after school so they allow me to do this course. You need to have level 6 or above to do the one where it is one day a month for 15-18 months it is mandatory. Im not sure what the process is if you dont have a level 6 I think you need to complete another level 5 before getting this "online course" nothing online about it just its more manageable I would say.

Thanks- the mayo one is ideal, because the classes are actually online (I presume video link), and they're all evenings, which would suit better than having to use annual leave for attending classes. I've got small kids, so I need most of my holidays for school hold, etc. It's crazy that there aren't other options that suit people working full time a bit better!

Hi jLM29,

May I ask how did you get to do one with online? I was told the "Online" course you still had to attend classes I wasnt never giving an option like you were on the above?
    Yea it is crazy that you have give up time when most people are working etc night courses would be perfect or classes on the weekends even for working people.

Thank you

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi jLM29,

May I ask how did you get to do one with online? I was told the "Online" course you still had to attend classes I wasnt never giving an option like you were on the above?
    Yea it is crazy that you have give up time when most people are working etc night courses would be perfect or classes on the weekends even for working people.

Thank you
    I haven't done it at all, I've been looking into options to do the Green cert- someone on here mentioned about doing it in Westport college, and I just looked up the info online. I think it's starting next week though, so I'll probably look into doing this next year.
    Presumably the reason the other "online classes" are run mid week and during business hours is that they're run by teagasc, and that's they're working hours. Westport college is privately run, so I assume they can step outside the box and cater for customers!
    For the Westport one, you have to attend in person for assessments, but they're on Saturdays, and there's only 4 days I think

cool I was just wondering cos the course im doign is called an "online" course but no or little aspects are online still have to attend a class one day a month for 18 months. I really wish there was an online option i could do at home and somehting similar to you but unfortunately that was the course i had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭WestportCFE

Hi, our online course now has places on Wednesday and Thursday. It is starting on 27th October. Any questions email admin@westportcfe.ie

Hi, our online course now has places on Wednesday and Thursday. It is starting on 27th October. Any questions email admin@westportcfe.ie

Thank you! There's obviously a big demand for it if you're running two concurrently!

Thank you! There's obviously a big demand for it if you're running two concurrently!

At the moment there is the 5th class is nearly full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Have ye many students verified and passed through the fetac process?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Can you sit in for a few classes if you are doing the online version aswell ?

Muckit wrote: »
    Have ye many students verified and passed through the fetac process?

Yes we have it, is in the hundreds

Bullocks wrote: »
    Can you sit in for a few classes if you are doing the online version aswell ?

Yes this is possible with the wednesday and Thursday class.

I haven't done it at all, I've been looking into options to do the Green cert- someone on here mentioned about doing it in Westport college, and I just looked up the info online. I think it's starting next week though, so I'll probably look into doing this next year.
    Presumably the reason the other "online classes" are run mid week and during business hours is that they're run by teagasc, and that's they're working hours. Westport college is privately run, so I assume they can step outside the box and cater for customers!
    For the Westport one, you have to attend in person for assessments, but they're on Saturdays, and there's only 4 days I think

It is starting in 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Has anyone signed up to the Westport night course? I've been trying to contact them for the last week and can't get through to anyone

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Has anyone signed up to the Westport night course? I've been trying to contact them for the last week and can't get through to anyone

I have , I rang a few times with no answer aswell a couple of weeks ago but got a txt this morning to say they would be emailing me before the end of the week with details of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 20 James1988

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

James1988 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, no reply to any emails or calls. I still haven't registered as wanted confirmation on a question before I booked.

Have the rest of you signed up and paid already? It doesn't seem to be an option anymore in their website...

Hope I haven't missed the boat

I haven't applied yet with cause I wanted to get talk to someone on the phone before I gave €2000 to them.

• Advertisement

James1988 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I don't know but I'd say the places could be filled up quickly . I signed up and paid awhile back anyhow

Advertisement