Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology versus Privacy

Options
  • 18-08-2017 3:57am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure many here are deeply concerned about the use of internet social media to detail aspects of people's lives. I watched a recent film called The Circle starring Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. It was a pretty weak and shallow film with 0 character development but nonetheless was deeply disturbing. Every detail of people's lives recorded, complete invasion of privacy and the company ethos of "sharing is caring." Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Now, this film was pretty over-simplistic, extreme and contrived, but it did send a strong message that society is in danger of being strangled by social media unless we have strong checks and balances in the system. Is it right to record every significant detail of people's lives on social media?

Facebook was the obvious target of this film. I'm seriously giving thought to closing my Facebook account. I value my privacy.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm sure many here are deeply concerned about the use of internet social media to detail aspects of people's lives. I watched a recent film called The Circle starring Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. It was deeply disturbing. Every detail of people's lives recorded, complete invasion of privacy and the company ethos of "sharing is caring." Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Now, this film was pretty over-simplistic and contrived, but it did send a strong message that society is in danger of being strangled by social media unless we have strong checks and balances in the system. Is it right to record every significant detail of people's lives on social media?

Facebook was the obvious target of this film. I'm seriously giving thought to closing my Facebook account. I value my privacy.

Thoughts?

You do know that even when u close your Facebook account its still technically open.all your info pics are all still saved incase you reopen your account.at least that used to be the way unless they changed it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I do like that Tom Hanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm sure many here are deeply concerned about the use of internet social media to detail aspects of people's lives. I watched a recent film called The Circle starring Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. It was a pretty weak and shallow film with 0 character development but nonetheless was deeply disturbing. Every detail of people's lives recorded, complete invasion of privacy and the company ethos of "sharing is caring." Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Now, this film was pretty over-simplistic, extreme and contrived, but it did send a strong message that society is in danger of being strangled by social media unless we have strong checks and balances in the system. Is it right to record every significant detail of people's lives on social media?

Thoughts?

So you wouldnt recommend the film so?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

JupiterKid wrote:
    Is it right to record every significant detail of people's lives on social media?

It is the users that post every aspect of their lives to social media.

Personal responsibility comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

It doesn't make sense to restrict technology to protect peoples privacy. What's needed is more education on using restraint and a bit of cop-on when posting stuff on social media. Granted that Facebook's privacy features are a bit shady. But if people feel like their privacy is being violated on social media, I would just stop posting crap instead of blaming the technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

You have a good point op.the thing that baffles me is people/family's putting pics up on Facebook look at us we are on holidays in sunny wonderful Spain.......meanwhile the burglars are taking a **** in their front living room.
    Its madness

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

You have a good point op.the thing that baffles me is people/family's putting pics up on Facebook look at us we are on holidays in sunny wonderful Spain.......meanwhile the burglars are taking a **** in their front living room.
    Its madness

You can also easily get people address, DOB, mother's maiden name, pets names.

This is all willing posted by people to (often) open profiles that can be viewed by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It doesn't make sense to restrict technology to protect peoples privacy. What's needed is more education on using restraint and a bit of cop-on when posting stuff on social media. Granted that Facebook's privacy features are a bit shady. But if people feel like their privacy is being violated on social media, I would just stop posting crap instead of blaming the technology.
    The OP doesn't blame the technology or suggest restricting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It is the users that post every aspect of their lives to social media.

Personal responsibility comes into it.

Totally agree with this. I deactivated my account over a year ago as I started to really dislike Facebook. I was only on it for the funny stuff, I could count on one hand and still have fingers leftover the amount of times I shared a photo of the kids or tagged myself somewhere.
    Some people treat it like their own personal reality show that they seem to think everyone else is enthralled with. It is up to you entirely what you do or don't share, you make your own privacy. Incidentally, deactivating your account is futile if you have no willpower as all you have to do is log back in to reactivate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Thoughts?

Watch Black Mirror: Nosedive, an indication of where we might be in twenty year's time.....

• Advertisement

73Cat wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. I deactivated my account over a year ago as I started to really dislike Facebook. I was only on it for the funny stuff, I could count on one hand and still have fingers leftover the amount of times I shared a photo of the kids or tagged myself somewhere.
    Some people treat it like their own personal reality show that they seem to think everyone else is enthralled with. It is up to you entirely what you do or don't share, you make your own privacy. Incidentally, deactivating your account is futile if you have no willpower as all you have to do is log back in to reactivate it.
    This. Deactivating your Facebook account is not the same thing as deleting it. Facebook offers both options, but only deletion will (if they are to be believed) lead to the irretrievable deletion of your data. And it may take up to three months for this to be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

According to Facebook's own information, "it may take up to 90 days from the beginning of the deletion process to delete all of the things you've posted, like your photos, status updates or other data stored in backup systems".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

OP you should check out Black Mirror if you really wanna be frightened by the negatives of technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Really at the end of the day you have only yourself to blame for uploading personal data online. as a programmer i can tell you guys that your data can be kept in a hard-drive on a server for years. also lots of server backups are made so if your data is deleted. there could be still a backup somewhere.
    i worked for a social media company and can tell you they treat the server rooms like gold. with all the security and access its like they are protecting gold. that's how valuable your data is to them. so here you are giving them all your data for free and they are turning it into gold. (i know its a metaphor but its the best example i could think of)

The account is gone, but the data exists. And the fact that you can't get access to it doesn't mean that nobody else can't either. Facebook, presumably, can, since they control the backups and can access them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope. Or at least not always. I have two friends(real life ones) who deleted their Facebook account and both appeared to be gone and as you note they couldn't access their page after a couple of weeks(in one case after a couple of days).

However, a few months down the line and their accounts started showing up in their Facebook "friends" emails of "people you might know". If the original account holders tried to log in their page wasn't there, but if the recipient of those emails clicked on the link there it was. And yes both didn't just deactivate, they followed Facebook's own instructions to delete their accounts. Both contacted Facebook directly over this.

For fun and frolics I tried to see the pages this very morning. If I do a name search within Facebook it get nada, but again if I go via the "people you may know" link in the emails from Facebook I get a result. One appears to be gone. For the moment. The other is still there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Advertisement

Well, yes, as users of Ashley Madison famously discovered the hard way, even if you pay a social media operator to delete your information and they assure they will, they may not. Far be it from me to suggest that Facebook are as sloppy as Ashley Madison were. But how do I know they aren't?

As far as I understand it, the deal with Facebook (that you checked a box to agree to) is that the information you give them belongs to them, not you. And while they may offer to delete it, if push came to shove they'd probably deny that they were obliged to delete it, or had any liability to you if they didn't delete it.

Look, I assume that most businesses, most of the time, try to behave in a reasonable and honest fashion and that, if they say they'll delete your data, they do intend to delete it. But I also assume that, whether through (frequently) poor design or poor operation of systems, or (occasionally) a bit of ethical corner-cutting, there will be cases where data doesn't get deleted.

Which, yeah, means we should all be careful as individuals not to put personal information on the internet unless we accept that, when we do, we lose control over it.

But it also means that, as a community, we do need to think about regulatory regimes for how personal information is handled by those to whom it is entrusted, and about acccountability of social media outfits to their customers. It's perfectly right and proper to tell people that they should look both ways before crossing the road, but that doesn't mean we don't need laws about speed limits and motor insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Heisenbug

All well and good deleting Facebook, but they're a drop in the ocean. Use any Google services? Even Microsoft or Apple? All part of NSA's PRISM program.

If you truly want privacy, set up your own mail server, use VPN's to browse, don't use any of the big search engines, don't use a regular smart phone - you'll need Android without Google service - F-Droid is what you'd use to download apps etc.

Another thing, apps - they use a lot of your info so be careful what you download.

Me? I couldn't be bothered with all that and just use whatever I need be it Google docs, Gmail, iCloud...whatever.

here is your google history :)
    https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity

even more data including all locations you have been
    https://myactivity.google.com/more-activity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

This guy went and deleted his fb and instagram accounts (with links)...

And because he has a few contacts, he followed up to confirm that his "live" profile was deleted, that his friends can no longer see him and to make sure all backups were gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

The book was well worth a read, shame they made a hames of the film!

It's perfectly possible to use technology while maintaining your privacy. Funnily enough, most people I've talked with about use of VPNs or Tor to enhance privacy assumed that I must be doing something I "need to hide". I think people need to be a little better educated about privacy and its implications to be honest.

A Belgian bank did an excellent ad on this a while back:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

here is your google history :)
    https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity

even more data including all locations you have been
    https://myactivity.google.com/more-activity
    I get "no activity" on both. Then again I've long been suspicious of the big data mining crowd, so try to keep my footprint to a minimum.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Wibbs wrote: »
    I get "no activity" on both. Then again I've long been suspicious of the big data mining crowd, so try to keep my footprint to a minimum.

I just get my YouTube video searches which is encouraging. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

The age of privacy is dead. People scapegoat facebook or social media. They are just the tip of the iceberg. Every product you buy is bar coded and then your chip and pin card links you to your shopping so the details of your shopping habits are recorded somewhere. There are digital cameras in public areas and offices, shops, schools etc., and soon facial recognition tech will be incorporated everywhere. A lot of new products like TVs and phones and even kids digital toys have tracking type technology, so your every move, perhaps even your private chats at home can be accessed. If you were to buy a computer and never go online, but maybe register it for guarantee and support purposes, who is to say the device cannot be used to monitor the contents of your hard drive? Drones are going to be more commonplace too, people were a bit freaked out about them at one point until we realised there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. So, we are all under the kosh. Even if one lived ''off grid'', in the boonies, with no tech, one could not be assured of privacy.

• Advertisement

What amazed me was the data they had on the locations i have been around the world. exact hotel locations. scary stuff. I know google stores your search data but didn't expect all the extra data as-well.

Advertisement