Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 6 "Beyond the Wall" - "Book readers" - Spoilers from post 2

Options
  • 16-08-2017 11:02am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate Season 7 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening (pending poll result).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Note that this thread has been opened early and do contain spoilers; you are now thrice warned that there are spoilers from the early release in this thread after this post! Note if you are waiting until Sunday/Monday to watch the show do not read further in this thread.

... You were warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

So...

I'm going to have a hot shower now because I absolutely froze during that episode. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Which dragon was that? Not Drogon obviously.
    They all look the same colour now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Holy fúck. Now that was some episode... Even though so many characters are considered 'safe' because the plot needs them, any character could've died beyond the wall and I wouldn't have been surprised. The jeopardy felt real and any death wouldn't have felt cheap. I could nit pick and say Benjen popping up in the nick of time was too convenient but why else would they have brought him back. He's saved Bran and Jon so I'd say his work is done.

I'm not a fan of the Arya/Sansa stuff. They really seem to be pushing the sense of dread that one will kill the other. Of course it might happen but I think Littefinger might have pushed his luck. Arya left The Faceless Men after claiming "I'm Arya Stark of Winterfell". Surely she hasn't already forgotten that..

Easily one of the best episodes so far, a very solid 9/10 in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Am I the only one annoyed by the teleportation fields?
    Timeline:
    Bastard arrives to wall at evening day 1 to send a raven the distance it takes 3 months to sail
    Morning after about 12h later not only has the raven arrived south but Danerys has flown north as well with all the dragons, talk about having some rockets attached to their backs to make that timeline work

And to add icing (Ha!) to the cake only one person died sleeping out in the significant sub zeroes all night long without any proper protection along with Danerys who somehow is unaffected by the cold...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Nody wrote: »
    Timeline:
    Bastard arrives to wall at evening day 1 to send a raven the distance it takes 3 months to sail
    Morning after about 12h later not only has the raven arrived south but Danerys has flown north as well with all the dragons, talk about having some rockets attached to their backs to make that timeline work

And to add icing (Ha!) to the cake only one person died sleeping out in the significant sub zeroes all night long without any proper protection along with Danerys who somehow is unaffected by the cold...

I've trained myself to not get annoyed by the flexible timelines in the show a long time ago. What takes one character a month to travel takes another a few hours as needed by the plot. It's best not to think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Timeline:

I imagine sitting on something that breathes fire means you're generally kept warm

Timeline:

I think sitting on a dragon gives you the warm fuzzies. You're basically sitting on an oven. :D

As for the three months travel... I am so tired of telling people to look at a map and look up the speed of sailing ships in mediaeval times. Even back in the days of the Greeks, sailing ships could do 1000 mile trips in 8 or 9 days.

The raven/dragon trip did seem a trifle compressed alright, I'll give you that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ho. Lee. ****.

Nothing unexpected happened, just wasn't expecting it all in this episode!

Really though, the Night King is a jobber and you have three dragons. Just converge on him and burn everything.

Ho. Lee. ****.

Nothing unexpected happened, just wasn't expecting it all in this episode!

Really though, the Night King is a jobber and you have three dragons. Just converge on him and burn everything.
    The Night King doesn't seem to be bothered by flames. Certainly the white walkers walked through them en route to Hodor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I enjoyed it but it still seemed a bit gammy. I genuinely chuckled when they threw the sack over the wight's head! It just seemed so ridiculous, the whole thing. Even Jon admitting they probably shouldn't have gone on such a "stupid" mission. Still though, I enjoyed it way more than the last episode. The Arya/Sansa plot is interesting but I have honestly no idea where it's gonna go. Why is Arya so weird now? I guess after Harrenhal and being part of a foreign assassin death-cult will do things to ya.

It's great to see so much White Walker action though, I love those guys and the whole Other buzz. I can't wait to find out what it's all about, what does it all mean!? Heard some very interesting theories that the White Walkers are an allegory of the plague/Black Death.

The Night King doesn't seem to be bothered by flames. Certainly the white walkers walked through them en route to Hodor.

Dragon fire though.

Dragon fire though.
    No evidence that this is fatal to them yet.

Edit: I wonder is this the law of unintended consequences come back to bite them in the arse? THe Night King has a dragon now and as we saw, dragons can melt ice and the wall is made of ice...

Why was the Wight they captured will intact when Jon killed the white walker leading them? Conveniently raised by another one?

Why was the Wight they captured will intact when Jon killed the white walker leading them? Conveniently raised by another one?

It was wearing plot armour. Or perhaps only the wights that that Walker re-animated die?

turnikett1 wrote: »
    It was wearing plot armour. Or perhaps only the wights that that Walker re-animated die?
    That's pretty much exactly what they said. Apart from the plot armour bit, that is. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

turnikett1 wrote: »

Ya, think that was mentioned. That wight was in the wrong platoon when they got amushed.

Lucky break there lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Don't like where Arya and Sansa are headed. Bran needs to step in(pun intended).

Dany and Tryion's set-to was really well done.

Not much else happened, bit of a slow episode.

bur wrote: »
    Don't like where Arya and Sansa are headed. Bran needs to step in(pun intended).

Dany and Tryion's set-to was really well done.

Not much else happened, bit of a slow episode.

Errr...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So the ice pop king flies over the wall with his frost dragon and starts creating new armies of the dead with its frosty breath.

Meanwhile the dickhead sisters in winterfell try to kill each other because they fail to see the bigger picture and the loonytunes queen in kings landing also fails to see the bigger picture

The moral of all this might be don't leave wimmen in charge

Lucky break there lads.
    Meh, there were thousands of the feckers surrounding them on the ice. Bit of rope and lasso one of them and you've the same result.

Night King seems to be a bit of a ****e military commander I have to say. His army is the definition of dispensable. Did he really need to wait for the Hound to **** a rock at one of them to think about the ice being frozen?

I obviously can't put this in the speculation thread, so I'll spoiler tag the speculative bits for everyone. It's pure speculation based on what we've seen so far and especially from this episode.

Firstly, we now know why the Night King has been hanging about north of the wall for so long. We could clearly see small platoons and larger companies of wights heading towards a kind of staging point. But as I thought of that, it occurred to me that the Night King has much the same abilities as Bran. He can at least see the present and the past and even interact with other seers.
    So was he waiting for the dragons to cross the wall? He had the throwing spears prepared and possibly even the chains. Not necessarily to pull a dragon from the lake, but it's certainly a possibility. We know the dragons can melt ice and the wall is made of ice. A dragon is feck all use to him unless he can get the rest of his army across the wall.

Kill off someone that matters please ffs. Thoros was a complete jobber and I'm only disappointed he didn't die earlier. Bald ****. What was point of them rescuing him only to kill him off a few scenes later? Bald **** twice. Beric can **** off too.

Kill off someone that matters please ffs. Thoros was a complete jobber and I'm only disappointed he didn't die earlier. Bald ****. What was point of them rescuing him only to kill him off a few scenes later? Bald **** twice. Beric can **** off too.
    I thought beavers were herbivores? :pac:

Viserion and Benjen Stark do not like this post :eek:

Edit: Beric clearly has something fairly massive to do. All that build up can't end with him being squished by a dead polar bear.

I thought beavers were herbivores? :pac:

Viserion and Benjen Stark do not like this post :eek:

Edit: Beric clearly has something fairly massive to do. All that build up can't end with him being squished by a dead polar bear.

Viserion was the wee pansy of the litter from the beginning. He's far cooler (geddit?!) now.

Coldbenjen another nothing character.

Viserion was the wee pansy of the litter from the beginning. He's far cooler (geddit?!) now.

Coldbenjen another nothing character.
    Ah, Coldhands was as cool as they come. His fiery censer was a great weapon against wights and there was always that touch of mystery about him. I'll certainly miss him.

I never really got to know Viserion, but I'm sure his brothers miss him terribly. I'm already imagining their confusion when he flies again. :)

Coldhands was cool (the mission to kill the mutineers at Craster's, using "Locke," is one of the deviations from the books that annoyed me most, especially as they ended up somewhat retaining the coldhands character) but Coldbenjen was a bit meh.

Viserion really has a chance to come into his own and start main eventing now he's turned heel and left his stable. They'll build him up for a bit as unstoppable I think, then bam, he'll lose his title shot at Westerosmania.

• Advertisement

One other thing, Sansa actually referring to the "Battle of the Bastards" really, really annoyed me.

Advertisement