Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You don't win friends with salad

Options
  • 15-08-2017 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I've got a moderately healthy diet, eat my veggies and lots of protein, a fair bit of fruit. Probably too fond of the aul chocolate but I've managed to escape morbid obesity of yet so could be worse.

But I just don't *get* salad. What's the craic with it like? A hunk of meat on a bed of soggy lettuce leaves and a few tomatoes and some red onion and topped with some gross fatty dressing that defies the purpose of eating a salad in the first place. And that's supposed to be your dinner? That's not food. That's what food eats.

I see some girls at work coming in with tupperware full of sad little leaves for their lunch and I feel genuinely sad for them. Same ones will be munching on digestives half an hour later so they're probably not even fooling themselves.

When's the last time you ate a salad? And did it fill you up or did you cry your way through it? What am I missing here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I've got a moderately healthy diet, eat my veggies and lots of protein, a fair bit of fruit. Probably too fond of the aul chocolate but I've managed to escape morbid obesity of yet so could be worse.

But I just don't *get* salad. What's the craic with it like? A hunk of meat on a bed of soggy lettuce leaves and a few tomatoes and some red onion and topped with some gross fatty dressing that defies the purpose of eating a salad in the first place. And that's supposed to be your dinner? That's not food. That's what food eats.

I see some girls at work coming in with tupperware full of sad little leaves leaves for their lunch and I feel genuinely sad for them. Same ones will be munching on digestives half an hour later so they're probably not even fooling themselves.

When's the last time you ate a salad? And did it fill you up or did you cry your way through it? What am I missing here?
    Spoken by someone who clearly hasn't ever had a Caesar salad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I love a good nicoise. Delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Spoken by someone who clearly hasn't ever had a Caesar salad.

I've had plenty of those. Soggy creamy shyte. What's nice about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I see some girls at work coming in with tupperware full of sad little leaves leaves for their lunch and I feel genuinely sad for them

How will they continue living after this?

I see some girls at work coming in with tupperware full of sad little leaves leaves for their lunch and I feel genuinely sad for them.
    This makes you genuinely sad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

You get a sense of satisfaction knowing you're consuming less calories than you need so you might actually lose some weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've had plenty of those. Soggy creamy shyte. What's nice about them?

you clearly haven't had one made fresh at the table in a good restaurant. Divine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Grew up in the 1970's/80's no such thing as salad, same goes for pizza, pasta or mayo. It's all hipster stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Grew up in the 1970's/80's no such thing as salad, same goes for pizza, pasta or mayo. It's all hipster stuff.

I grew up in the 80s and had many a salad.

It usually consisted of the following:

A slice of corn beef
    A slice of hang
    A slice of cheese
    Butter head lettuce
    Beetroot from a jar
    A boiled egg
    Half a tomato
    Some cucumber
    Heinze Salad Cream

Did the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't eat lettuce, but I like a lot of different salads.

Restaurant salads here mostly tend to be a massive pile of lettuce with a few bits of other ingredients on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

xzanti wrote: »

A slice of corn beef
    A slice of hang
    A slice of cheese
    Butter head lettuce
    Beetroot from a jar
    A boiled egg
    Half a tomato
    Some cucumber
    Heinze Salad Cream

Oh my word, that's sent me on a trip down memory lane :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I had a wee bit of salad yesterday with my steak and chips. Made me feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

You get a sense of satisfaction knowing you're consuming less calories than you need so you might actually lose some weight.

So does everyone who eats salad do so solely to lose weight? I could eat pizza for three meals a day and still lose weight, as long as I reduced my portions and put myself at a calorie deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Malari wrote: »
    Restaurant salads here mostly tend to be a massive pile of lettuce with a few bits of other ingredients on top.

This x 100!

And not even lettuce you can eat - underneath the few (relatively) nice lettuce leaves is about four inches deep of that stringy, sour, branch-y indedible stuff the name of which I don't know, but it's clearly just cheap, nasty filler. Grrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A slice of corn beef
    A slice of hang
    A slice of cheese
    Butter head lettuce
    Beetroot from a jar
    A boiled egg
    Half a tomato
    Some cucumber
    Heinze Salad Cream

and a couple of scallions :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

judeboy101 wrote: »

To be fair, it depended on whether or not your primary caregiver wore elasticated leggings and smoked John Player Blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

A slice of corn beef
    A slice of hang
    A slice of cheese
    Butter head lettuce
    Beetroot from a jar
    A boiled egg
    Half a tomato
    Some cucumber
    Heinze Salad Cream

We were very posh....we had all of the above and a tin of potato salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

There is this delicious Balkan salad called "Shopska" salad. I'm wetting my pants just thinking of it, it's sooo good.
    Honestly beside the obvious Cesar what people wanna sell you as a salad here is a joke. Plenty of times I got some dry leaves with a few sprinkles of some mustardy something, I don't get it.

Back home we do our salad with pumpkin seed oil and a bit of vinegar, it's the best thing ever. I'm allowed to say that because I grew up in the epitome of pumpkin seed oil. For real people need to buy more pumpkin seed oil, it's savage.

Making a good salad is somewhat of an art form because it's easy to mess it up with too much X, too little Y, no crunch and the worst using the pre packed shredded leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The trick is to eat enough salad that it fills you up. When I make salad for myself I tend to use a selection of the following:
    Cos Lettuce
    Spinach
    Radish
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Baby corn
    Cherry tomatoes
    Sugarsnap peas
    Asparagus
    Boiled Egg
    Feta

and topped off with a nice balsamic vingarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I usually have a salad for lunch, this is purely down to the fact that I suffer from chronic urticaria and IBS, both of which are linked to food. I found out about a low fodmap diet and since I started doing it, the results have been great.

Salads can be as bland or flavoursome as you make them, I like to mix it up and I have a bento lunch box which has lots of sections so I don't end up with a mushy mess.

I usually go with some fresh leaves (lettuce, rocket, baby spinach). For protein I go with slow cooked shredded pork fillet/ grilled chicken/ tuna mayo/ leftover roast and home made GF jumbo croutons for some crunch (baked GF bread drizzled in chilli oil and salt)
    • Then a selection of the following:
    • boiled eggs
    • fresh peas
    • mangetout & broccoli with feta cheese
    • shredded carrot with pumpkin seeds in orange juice
    • Mixed bean salad
    • home made potato salad
    • Home made Hummus
    • Quinoa salad mix
    • Curried rice

I have to say, it beats the hell out of any sandwich but they key is seasoning. Most people don't season their salads and that's why they seem bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have onion and lettuce on my quarter pounder

Malari wrote: »

I think this is part of the problem ... this incessant adding of salad to every single feckin' main course has resulted in a race to the bottom.

If I want salad, I'll order it.

Salad is "a cold dish of various mixtures of raw or cooked vegetables, usually seasoned with oil, vinegar, or other dressing and sometimes accompanied by meat, fish, or other ingredients" and can be frickin' amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

ggAwoHv.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

LirW wrote: »
    There is this delicious Balkan salad called "Shopska" salad. I'm wetting my pants just thinking of it, it's sooo good.
    Honestly beside the obvious Cesar what people wanna sell you as a salad here is a joke. Plenty of times I got some dry leaves with a few sprinkles of some mustardy something, I don't get it.

Back home we do our salad with pumpkin seed oil and a bit of vinegar, it's the best thing ever. I'm allowed to say that because I grew up in the epitome of pumpkin seed oil. For real people need to buy more pumpkin seed oil, it's savage.

Making a good salad is somewhat of an art form because it's easy to mess it up with too much X, too little Y, no crunch and the worst using the pre packed shredded leaves.
    Styrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

My favourite is what I call the brettuce salad.
    I have a few leaves of lettuce, topped with a couple of brussel sprouts. I like to have it with a home made dressing including olive oil, garlic and mustard.

You might want to add some corned beef (but it's not a salad anymore)

f466d918ff6e875e30aca9138df12424.jpg

Styrian?

Yep, I import that stuff by the barrel in my hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I see some girls at work coming in with tupperware full of sad little leaves leaves for their lunch and I feel genuinely sad for them. Same ones will be munching on digestives half an hour later so they're probably not even fooling themselves.

Do they not smile or laugh like these women?

https://www.thehairpin.com/2011/01/women-laughing-alone-with-salad/

http://womenlaughingalonewithsalad.tumblr.com/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

fruitsalads_new_800x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm with you OP, I don't "get" salad. Which makes people look at you weird when you're vegetarian.

When I see a salad, I see no substance. You may as well serve a glass of water.

I get the whole "nice dressing makes it tasty" thing, sometimes. But it's still a bowl of mostly air and a couple of leaves. I can never understand how someone only eats a salad for a main course.

But then raw/cold vegetables have never been a thing with me. So that's probably it. Give me a bowl of hot mushy vegetables boiled to within an inch of their lives, over a bowl of crunchy cold raw stuff, any day of the week.

• Advertisement

This reminds me of some kind of German party classic, it's called the Big Mac salad.
    Just the idea of it makes me shudder.

Advertisement