Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lead-crime link hypothesis

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Alex Jones will see us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

The media sensationalize more as crime rates fall, so when you read about how violent society is in the papers that is actually a good sign.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

seamus wrote: »
    :confused:

Lead and Mercury aren't the same thing though.

It's known that lead is toxic and can have severe developmental effects on children, leading to developmental delays & lowered intelligence.

Both of which are strongly associated with criminal and anti-social behaviour in teenagers and adults.

Tbh, it's a fairly sound theory, and those who dismiss it as simple correlation miss the fact that you can draw a direct cause-and-effect line from lead exposure in childhood to criminality in adulthood.
    That is, lead exposure as a child is known to put you more at risk to become a criminal as an adult.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080527201839.htm

Therefore it's a very plausible theory that general elevated levels of lead in an environment are going to lead to a more general risk of criminality within a population.

And likewise a reduction in lead in the environment creates a reduction in criminality.

They aren't - sorry, I don't know what I was thinking there. Completely got it wrong :(

That said, the studies in China did find very different symptoms they could associate with lead poisoning, so my post isn't all useless...

Advertisement