Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant pot

Options
1246

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy


    I got one a while ago and haven't used it that much. So can anyone share there top instant pot dinner recipes, either pressure cooker or slow cooker. Alot of the recipes online are very US focused and don't look the most appetising


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde


    Threads merged.

    IrishGuy if you scroll back through the thread you'll find links, recipes and tips.

    Instant pot owning posters will hopefully be able to advise you too :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy


    Dad Cooks Dinner is yer man. He's an Instant Pot enthusiast, and seems to own a dozen of them, but he cooks real food for real people and knows that there's a world outside the USA.

    He used to do a lot of barbeque, and using a rotisserie on the BBQ, but lately it's all been IP.

    Worth looking through his old posts.

    Recommended :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha


    Aldi have both diced lamb and baby potatoes on special at the moment so I stocked up and made the first lamb stew of the winter, Im still feeling warm inside here. I only had red onions so went with them but they gave it a nice sweetness. Its kind of funny the way you almost forget about how good winter dishes like stews are when you havent made them for 6 months and then you make the first one again and the good memories come flooding back. Im already looking forward to making a beef stew next week.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14


    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Aldi have both diced lamb and baby potatoes on special at the moment so I stocked up and made the first lamb stew of the winter, Im still feeling warm inside here. I only had red onions so went with them but they gave it a nice sweetness. Its kind of funny the way you almost forget about how good winter dishes like stews are when you havent made them for 6 months and then you make the first one again and the good memories come flooding back. Im already looking forward to making a beef stew next week.

    I’ve never made lamb stew, only beef. Have you any recipe?

    After having my pot forever I made rice in it for the first time after burning it in the saucepan last week trying to watch the kids. Man that was way easier :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2


    Derailing a bit from recipes, my silicone cap disappeared somewhere into the universe so ordered a replacement from amazon, it doesn't work, its still letting steam through and the floater valve wont pop up and therefore the pot wont seal. Apparently unless you order a genuine part from the company themselves then you might have problems :rolleyes:

    I've tried to order from the UK company but they have no option to ship to Ireland, I've emailed them a few times and no answer, has anyone else had this problem or can point me in the direction of where to get one, it's just the wee silicone cap that sits underneath the lid that I need.


  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Duzzie


    nihicib2 wrote: »
    Derailing a bit from recipes, my silicone cap disappeared somewhere into the universe so ordered a replacement from amazon, it doesn't work, its still letting steam through and the floater valve wont pop up and therefore the pot wont seal. Apparently unless you order a genuine part from the company themselves then you might have problems :rolleyes:

    I've tried to order from the UK company but they have no option to ship to Ireland, I've emailed them a few times and no answer, has anyone else had this problem or can point me in the direction of where to get one, it's just the wee silicone cap that sits underneath the lid that I need.

    You could order through Parcel motel which would allow you to use a UK address and get past their uk address restrictions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2


    Duzzie wrote: »
    You could order through Parcel motel which would allow you to use a UK address and get past their uk address restrictions.

    Yeah I've thought of that alright, Its just my closest PM is 45 minutes away and thought the company might be a bit more communicative, it might be my only option if I dont hear back from them


    Thanks :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica


    nihicib2 wrote: »
    Yeah I've thought of that alright, Its just my closest PM is 45 minutes away and thought the company might be a bit more communicative, it might be my only option if I dont hear back from them


    Thanks :D

    An Post Addresspal also have a UK address option and will deliver to your door (as will Address wizard from DPD) or your local post office.


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    I’ve never made lamb stew, only beef. Have you any recipe?

    After having my pot forever I made rice in it for the first time after burning it in the saucepan last week trying to watch the kids. Man that was way easier :D

    I got an unusual rice from my local asian shop lately.. kerala matta rice... also known as rosematta rice..

    I had never seen anything like it before .. just noticed it cos its got a pink glow to it... its much bigger than normal rice.. Yer man told me its his favourite but is a bit involved to cook...

    I took a chance, bought a small bag, and had a google when I got home.
    Found a perfectly workable recipe for cookin it in the instant pot here:

    https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-kerala-matta-rice/

    Really nice, very different .. great rice when you have a curry with a lot of sauce.. soaks it all up ..

    Its so easy to get bored eating at home all the time these days.. so I am just suggesting this as one to try..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Aldi have both diced lamb and baby potatoes on special at the moment so I stocked up and made the first lamb stew of the winter, Im still feeling warm inside here. I only had red onions so went with them but they gave it a nice sweetness. Its kind of funny the way you almost forget about how good winter dishes like stews are when you havent made them for 6 months and then you make the first one again and the good memories come flooding back. Im already looking forward to making a beef stew next week.

    I'll send the request for your lamb stew recipe.. pleeze...

    And then add a question .. of course.. heh..
    I'm finding that hgh pressure cooking in the IP leaves stews a little bit low on flavour.. so am wokding about trying slow cooking...

    Anyone tried the slow-cooker function of the instant pot?
    Couldn't locate instructions on it... so if you have any links I'd appreciate it...


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu


    vidapura wrote: »
    I'll send the request for your lamb stew recipe.. pleeze...

    And then add a question .. of course.. heh..
    I'm finding that hgh pressure cooking in the IP leaves stews a little bit low on flavour.. so am wokding about trying slow cooking...

    Anyone tried the slow-cooker function of the instant pot?
    Couldn't locate instructions on it... so if you have any links I'd appreciate it...

    from what I've read you need to use the "high" setting for the slow cooker to work well. But I've never used it, I find the flavour from pressure cooking to be fine.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica


    I've used the slow cooker function as much as the pressure cooker. I just use it in the same way as I used my old separate slow cooker. I do leg of lamb for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha


    I’ve never made lamb stew, only beef. Have you any recipe?

    After having my pot forever I made rice in it for the first time after burning it in the saucepan last week trying to watch the kids. Man that was way easier :D

    I just used Felicity Cloakes recipe from her 'How to cook the perfect.....' series on the Guardian. The only variation I made was to cover the diced lamb in a bit of flour and saute it before setting aside and sweating the onions and then re-adding the lamb along with the carrots, potatoes and stock. I also added a dash of worschestshire sauce to boost the flavour. I only had carrots but next time out I'll get some parsnip or other root veg in there too. In the Instant Pot I used the Stew button which puts it at pressure for 35 minutes at which point the lamb is fork tender
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jan/09/how-to-cook-perfect-irish-stew-felicity-cloake

    Caranica wrote: »
    I've used the slow cooker function as much as the pressure cooker. I just use it in the same way as I used my old separate slow cooker. I do leg of lamb for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high

    How would you compare the flavour of slow cooking v pressure? I made that chilli recipe from the cooking club forum a few weeks ago using pressure but had thought that it tastes better if slow cooked. The beef was fork tender from the pressure but I felt the flavours would have melded a lot better if I slow cooked it instead.


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    loyatemu wrote: »
    from what I've read you need to use the "high" setting for the slow cooker to work well. But I've never used it, I find the flavour from pressure cooking to be fine.

    Do you mean the 'More' mode after pressing the '+' key to move from 'Less' to 'Normal' to 'More'?
    Mines a newer Duo... doesn't have the Adjust button like all the instructions I've seen on the web...
    Has a Keep Warm button instead...


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    BTW, if anybody wants a good intro to the Instant Pot I just found this..
    It explains a lot of stuff you don't find in the crappy manual...

    https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/instant-pot-how-to-quick-start-guide/

    Actaully, just lookin through the site... she goes to great pains in her recipes to point out how things look with the different IP variations...
    Class...

    Must try out a few of them and see how they go.


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    Muahahaha wrote: »
    I just used Felicity Cloakes recipe from her 'How to cook the perfect.....' series on the Guardian. The only variation I made was to cover the diced lamb in a bit of flour and saute it before setting aside and sweating the onions and then re-adding the lamb along with the carrots, potatoes and stock. I also added a dash of worschestshire sauce to boost the flavour. I only had carrots but next time out I'll get some parsnip or other root veg in there too. In the Instant Pot I used the Stew button which puts it at pressure for 35 minutes at which point the lamb is fork tender
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jan/09/how-to-cook-perfect-irish-stew-felicity-cloake
    .

    Intersting reading.. Thanks!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    loyatemu wrote: »
    from what I've read you need to use the "high" setting for the slow cooker to work well. But I've never used it, I find the flavour from pressure cooking to be fine.

    Ok, so I morealess followed this recipe:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-beef-stew

    Used a saucepan lid I had that fits pretty well.
    Set it to Slow Cook for 5 hours on the 'more' setting..

    Ahhd.. at the end ..the veg were pretty much undercooked, a definite crunch to the parsnips etc..

    Soo.. I just whacked on the pressure lid and did a 15min high pressure cook.. now its very nice... but thats not the way to go really is it...

    So, not sure if I used the slow cook controls properly.. will have to have another go at the manual for it...


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu


    vidapura wrote: »
    Ok, so I morealess followed this recipe:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-beef-stew

    Used a saucepan lid I had that fits pretty well.
    Set it to Slow Cook for 5 hours on the 'more' setting..

    Ahhd.. at the end ..the veg were pretty much undercooked, a definite crunch to the parsnips etc..

    Soo.. I just whacked on the pressure lid and did a 15min high pressure cook.. now its very nice... but thats not the way to go really is it...

    So, not sure if I used the slow cook controls properly.. will have to have another go at the manual for it...

    yeah, I've seen similar complaints on the IP FB groups. but others have said the Slow function works fine on "more".

    I don't know, we used to have a slow cooker but rarely used it and I got rid of it after buying the IP. In my experience pressure cooking gives you much the same results in much shorter time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub


    I did a chinese takeaway pork curry with "goldfish" brand roux/wheatflour based paste. This had 2kg of pork chops cut up. It ended up "splitting" badly, looked terrible, but tastes grand. I let it all cool in jars and it seems to have come together again a bit, and no odd texture when eating.

    Loads of moisture can come out of meat when pressure cooked, and I guess even more so in water pumped pork chops (although these did not say they were "basted" like other tesco ones do).

    I also got a "burn" warning so it might have got too hot and further caused the split.

    If doing this again I am going to pressure cook the pork on its own first, so the moisture comes out of it, then add in curry paste and slow cook it to thicken up. This will also mean I can gauge the water content right as it was a bit too thin once done. I purposely left the sauce thick at the start knowing liquid would come out, but the thickness probably also resulted in the "burn" message. Another idea I had was to put it on slow cook first, to bring it all up to an even temp, and then go to pressure cook mode, but I would stick with my meat first approach.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    loyatemu wrote: »
    yeah, I've seen similar complaints on the IP FB groups. but others have said the Slow function works fine on "more".
    Ahh.. so it Is the 'More' setting is it?
    rright.. humm...
    Someone earlier i the thread said that 'More' only equates to a medium setting on a standard slow cooker.. so maybe I should have given it the 8 hours...
    loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't know, we used to have a slow cooker but rarely used it and I got rid of it after buying the IP. In my experience pressure cooking gives you much the same results in much shorter time.

    Yah, does it? Right, thats what I was trying this out for.. just to see was there better flavour or whathaveyou... but if not, then grand... I'll keep pressure cookin..

    I much prefer getting things slapped into the IP and cooked in a short amount of time anyway..

    8 hours bubbling away means I'd have to have been organised in the mornin.. and TBH I really shouldn't go near sharp knives or peelers before my second cup of coffee of the day.. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    rubadub wrote: »
    I did a chinese takeaway pork curry with "goldfish" brand roux/wheatflour based paste.

    Interesting about 'basted' chops.. never heard of that before..
    I did get a rolled stuffed loin of pork from Tesco last weekend and it came out of the oven literally half the size it went in.. I was gobsmacked how much it shrank...

    BTW if you want a good 'takeaway' feeling dish then I've done this one a coupla times and everyone agrees its better than what we get from the local indian restaurant which is #1 on the TripAdvisor list, heh..

    The recipe is: https://www.aspicyperspective.com/perfect-instant-pot-butter-chicken-curry/

    For me the things that absolutely Make it are the extras.. I make proper pilau rice and a decent naan bread to go alongside it...

    If we are really cheeky (and one of us is passing) we even get the garlic naan from the actual take away.. lol...


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha


    rubadub wrote: »

    Loads of moisture can come out of meat when pressure cooked, and I guess even more so in water pumped pork chops (although these did not say they were "basted" like other tesco ones do).

    yeah definitely this, the first time I made chilli in it I just put it on pressure for an hour thinking it would be grand but the liquid increased substantially while the stewing beef used shrivelled up. Have made the same chilli recipe a couple of times since but just on the chilli setting which is 30 minutes under pressure and it was a lot better.

    However I think the chilli recipe (the one from the cooking club) might lend itself better to slow cooking as when pressure cooked the meat is fork tender for sure but it didnt taste to me like all the various flavours had properly melded as they do when it is slow cooked. Im going to try slow cooking it next time out, hopefully the 10am start will be worth it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub


    vidapura wrote: »
    Interesting about 'basted' chops.. never heard of that before..

    regular
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=304365448

    and "basted"
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276352903

    a delicious sounding marinate! just like granny used to make.
    INGREDIENTS: Pork (90%), Water, Dried Glucose Syrup, Stabilisers (Diphosphates, Triphosphates), Salt, Preservative (Sodium Acetates), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Antioxidant (Sodium Ascorbate).

    20.5% protein in regular vs 18.8% in basted. It could come out better for all I know though, would will see top chefs recommending brining chicken & turkey. But you should bear it in mind in the price per kilo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura


    Jeez, I dunno how we are supposed to manage our salt intake at all these days..
    I was told to watch that.. so cooking for myself is supposed to be a good way to do it..
    But when the base ingredients are loaded with salt already.. sigh..

    I try to stay away from process meats as much as is feasible.. but its really hard to find chicken that isn't full of phosphates etc.. even fish seems to be destroyed with pollution too.. mercury in me feckin Tuna and all the rest..
    We're slowly poisoning ourselves...

    Ahhnd on that cheerful thought.. I see whiskey is a good price in Tesco .. and its Friday.. yay... Rugby tomorrow too... sooper...


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60


    Just picked up the Instant Pot duo for £60 in the Black Friday sale on Amazon. Excited to get on board the IP train!


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu


    used mine to defrost and heat a big frozen chilli (that I'd previously cooked in the IP).\
    Worked really well, much less faff than defrosting in the microwave, breaking it up, stirring, putting it back in etc.

    Frozen block into the IP, small amount of water to cover the bottom of the tray and set it to pressure cook for 10 mins with the valve closed.
    Took a while to get up to pressure, then left it 15 mins after it had beeped at the end.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot


    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Just picked up the Instant Pot duo for £60 in the Black Friday sale on Amazon. Excited to get on board the IP train!

    Me too! Mine is arriving next Friday. I have never had a pressure cooker/ slow cooker, so I'm really looking forward to trying some new recipes :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo


    loyatemu wrote: »
    used mine to defrost and heat a big frozen chilli (that I'd previously cooked in the IP).\
    Worked really well, much less faff than defrosting in the microwave, breaking it up, stirring, putting it back in etc.

    Frozen block into the IP, small amount of water to cover the bottom of the tray and set it to pressure cook for 10 mins with the valve closed.
    Took a while to get up to pressure, then left it 15 mins after it had beeped at the end.

    This is what I do too for my frozen 'wet' dinners - stews, curries, spag bol etc. You only need a little water in the bottom of the pot and it's so handy not to have to thaw out the dinner the evening before (or if you've forgotten, which is all too often)

    Lately, I'm into one pot meals and I love spag bol with the spaghetti broken up and cooked in the bottom of the pot in water with the frozen meat sauce on top. Stir together after cooking (about 15 minutes) and shake on the Parmesan at the table. Even left on Keep Warm for a while it still tastes great.

    Another one pot favourite is salmon: frozen fillets wrapped in foil on top of spuds and corn on the cob - 15 mins cooking. If the salmon is unfrozen, it takes only about 7 minutes. You have to be a little careful with overcooking vegetables this way to accommodate the meat/fish but I adjust the size of them based on how long I need to cook the meat/fish.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60


    First proper foray into the IP world is not going well. Trying to do a chili. 10 minutes at high pressure and I can't even get it up to pressure because I keep getting the burn notice. Third time now so theres now an extra 4 cups of water in it to try get it done.

    Giving it one more go and its going into the old trusty slow cooker and we'll have something else for dinner.


Advertisement