Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt Coins

Options
  • 12-08-2017 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

As cryptos are such a popular investment/speculation at the moment I though it better if we have a form for the Alt coins as well.
    So to start off I am a holder of Bitcoin (only a fraction of what I originally held a few years back) but I still hold a good few alt-coins.
    At the moment I got the feeling Bitcoin Cash BCH is going to go from strength to strength over the next year or so. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it eventually goes on par with Bitcoin.
    Other Alt coins that I see that are worth a punt would be
    Lykke and also
    EOS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 grazinggreen

The Cuban wrote: »
    As cryptos are such a popular investment/speculation at the moment I though it better if we have a form for the Alt coins as well.
    So to start off I am a holder of Bitcoin (only a fraction of what I originally held a few years back) but I still hold a good few alt-coins.
    At the moment I got the feeling Bitcoin Cash BCH is going to go from strength to strength over the next year or so. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it eventually goes on par with Bitcoin.
    Other Alt coins that I see that are worth a punt would be
    Lykke and also
    EOS

As a matter of interest why do you believe that Bitcoin Cash will become on par with Bitcoin?

Personally I hold most of my Crypto in Bitcoin and Ethereum. I also have a long term position in Ripple also. As for AltCoins I will trade these over hours/days. The value of lot of these AltCoins are at the mercy of the whales, however I wouldn't have any problem taking longer term positions in coins I see a real future in such as NEO, its clear to see at the moment that the Chinese buyers are taking a great interest in NEO and has so much more room for price rises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

As a matter of interest why do you believe that Bitcoin Cash will become on par with Bitcoin?

Mainly because it is a fork of Bitcoin, with the Bitcoin name and symbol. As long as the developers don't do anything stupid with Bitcoin Cash at the current price its very attractive to new investors.

Yes I like NEO and Ethereum too but have a look at QTUM
    QTUM this looks like a real rival to Ethereum

• Registered Users Posts: 49 grazinggreen

The Cuban wrote: »
    Mainly because it is a fork of Bitcoin, with the Bitcoin name and symbol. As long as the developers don't do anything stupid with Bitcoin Cash at the current price its very attractive to new investors.

Yes I like NEO and Ethereum too but have a look at QTUM
    QTUM this looks like a real rival to Ethereum

Still though do you think it would warrant to go up to and beyond the price of Bitcoin itself? Ethereum Classic has done well on its own but still sits at around 5% of the price of Ethereum. Bitcoin Cash recently reduced mining difficulty by 20% in order to get more miners on board. Its not ecoomically rational at the moment to mine Bitcoin Cash compared to Bitcoin. The price at the moment would need to be 1/6th that of bitcoin to be worthwhile.

It begs the question as to whether Bitcoin Cash will be worthwhile to put your money into over regular Bitcoin. At the moment I don't think so as Bitcoin has solved its scaling issue (for the meanwhile at least). I just don't see what Bitcoin Cash is offering over bitcoin that would warrant a price to match Bitcoin. BTC has had an 8 year head start on BCH and it and Ethereum are the main pairing for the vast amount of AltCoins on the market meaning that so much more money is pouring into Bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

I cannot decide if Bitcoin Cash has a future or not.
    At the outset, I gave it no chance and never expected the price to hover around €300. But it has, and it does seem to have a committed and loyal group of supporters as well as a couple of very, very wealthy backers (Ver, etc). I'm wondering if it does have a future in providing fast, cheap micro-transactions whilst main Bitcoin may be a store of wealth. However, on the other hand, BCC doesn't seem to have any more than 2 or 3 developers behind it and only a small percentage of network hashpower ( miners) supporting it.
    I dunno. What I have settled on is holding 1 for 1 BCC for each BTC that I own. Purely as a hedge.

Still though do you think it would warrant to go up to and beyond the price of Bitcoin itself? Ethereum Classic has done well on its own but still sits at around 5% of the price of Ethereum. Bitcoin Cash recently reduced mining difficulty by 20% in order to get more miners on board. Its not ecoomically rational at the moment to mine Bitcoin Cash compared to Bitcoin. The price at the moment would need to be 1/6th that of bitcoin to be worthwhile.

It begs the question as to whether Bitcoin Cash will be worthwhile to put your money into over regular Bitcoin. At the moment I don't think so as Bitcoin has solved its scaling issue (for the meanwhile at least). I just don't see what Bitcoin Cash is offering over bitcoin that would warrant a price to match Bitcoin. BTC has had an 8 year head start on BCH and it and Ethereum are the main pairing for the vast amount of AltCoins on the market meaning that so much more money is pouring into Bitcoin.

What Bitcoin Cash offers over Bitcoin is that Bitcoin Cash retains the original Satoshi Nakamoto idea and not the Bitmain miners solution. Its early days yet but the difficulty mining Bitcoin cash is reducing and will be on par with Bitcoin mining by November. On top of which the 8mb increase in block size does not favor those behind the great firewall of China.
    Yes Segwit does speed things up for Bitcoin and allow for off chain lightning networks but isnt that already being covered by numerous other Alt-coins like Dash,litecoin etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

All btcash stemming from existing btc wallets is free and will be sold and reinvested into btc or altcoin. Dead money to buy in now. Siacoin (Sia) and Debitcoin (Dbtc) are going to be the biggest earners for anyone investing in altcoins now. In 2 years time start investing in Xrp. The future coin that will become the sole crypto hasn't been created yet. People need to realise this. Either btc will remain strong enough to dominate the market cap or a splinter coin created from the btc community will dominate. I suspect the latter will be the case. Does that mean everyone with btc now will get more free coins of whatever coin is created. No it will not. As I suspect a merger between an altcoin and btc technologies at some point in 2019 creating a new coin. Fundamentally I suspect all alt coin and btc to be near zero value by 2024. Any coins you own in 2022 be prepared to sell and transfer to the new currency.

Banks will not cease existence. Accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

All btcash stemming from existing btc wallets is free and will be sold and reinvested into btc or altcoin. Dead money to buy in now. Siacoin (Sia) and Debitcoin (Dbtc) are going to be the biggest earners for anyone investing in altcoins now. In 2 years time start investing in Xrp. The future coin that will become the sole crypto hasn't been created yet. People need to realise this. Either btc will remain strong enough to dominate the market cap or a splinter coin created from the btc community will dominate. I suspect the latter will be the case. Does that mean everyone with btc now will get more free coins of whatever coin is created. No it will not. As I suspect a merger between an altcoin and btc technologies at some point in 2019 creating a new coin. Fundamentally I suspect all alt coin and btc to be near zero value by 2024. Any coins you own in 2022 be prepared to sell and transfer to the new currency.

Banks will not cease existence. Accept that.

Both sia and debit have performed horrifically lately. They're both dropping while everything else is rising. Why not tout iota or OMG or neo or DNT which all seems to be performing well and have potential for more?

All btcash stemming from existing btc wallets is free and will be sold and reinvested into btc or altcoin.

Dont see this happening, every day Bitcoin cash survives the better chance it has of getting rooted as one of the top 4 cryptos. I`m happy like many others to sit on them as they cost me nothing.
    As for adding more, I will spread any new money I put into cryptos across several coins, but Bitcoin cash will now be one of them.

Both sia and debit have performed horrifically lately. They're both dropping while everything else is rising. Why not tout iota or OMG or neo or DNT which all seems to be performing well and have potential for more?

Hi. Iota is down 10% while Sia is up nearly 40%. Debitcoin is my outside long haul bet in the crypto world and is the only currency I've "gambled" on to prove a personal hypothesis correct. It's an exception.

I've made 2 and only 2 predictions in crypto on this forum. I predicted a 20,000% increase last year in an alt coin. I predicted today's btc crash yesterday. I've over 7 years experience with crypto and over 4 years trade experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I've made 2 and only 2 predictions in crypto on this forum. I predicted a 20,000% increase last year in an alt coin. I predicted today's btc crash yesterday. I've over 7 years experience with crypto and over 4 years trade experience.

You predicted todays btc "crash"... hmmmm

Are you related to that guy that came on here before pumping Dubaicoin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Oh no wait, you're the zero to hero million dollar trader man!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057715561

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Prezatch wrote: »
    Oh no wait, you're the zero to hero million dollar trader man!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057715561

Plenty of questionable threads created, I won't bother posting them.

Plenty of questionable threads created, I won't bother posting them.

Hi guy if you're looking for a pc beige sheep then I'm not your buddy friend. Only the eccentric succeed ;) as I say I've 100% proven track record at being a crypto wiz. And I'm decent enough to offer my years and wealth of experience to this thread for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hi guy if you're looking for a pc beige sheep then I'm not your buddy friend. Only the eccentric succeed ;) as I say I've 100% proven track record at being a crypto wiz. And I'm decent enough to offer my years and wealth of experience to this thread for free.

So did you become a millionaire from €1,000 by trading oil or did you quit after one week? Or are you just an attention seeker?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    So did you become a millionaire from €1,000 by trading oil or did you quit after one week? Or are you just an attention seeker?

Haha bet you've subscribed to me. Be a wise move...never know when I'll land a legendary nugget of wisdom again ;)

But seriously who let the kids in? How big yo bank Bro? How much money you made Bro? Guys guys guys....calm down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

I just opened an account on Bitfinex and am going to buy some IOTA, bank wires are paused so I'll have to use bitcoin,
    do I deposit into my Exchange Wallet? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I usually bank transfer to a Bitcoin/Ethereum exchange like Coindesk 1st, and then send BTC to Bittrex/Bitfinex.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Yeah, have managed to get BTC into my exchange wallet on Bitfinex and am trying to buy IOTA, no idea how.
    Can you guide me?

Bitcoin Cash on the move now, It has broke the $300 resistance

Bitcoin Cash is Up over $500 now. I think we are seeing the start of a battle here.

• Advertisement

Bitcoin cash at $1000 now
    I`m sitting on a 400% profit now in less than 2 weeks. But I`m holding these long term till they topple Bitcoin

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green maniac

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

I feel like I am missing out by not holding Bitcoin cash now :(

Bitcoin wrote: »
    I feel like I am missing out by not holding Bitcoin cash now :(

You sold it or left your funds on Coinbase at the time of the fork?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

So whats happenign with the BCC that Coinbase has acquired during the fork? Are they going to give it to us once they support BCC?

iknorr wrote: »
    So whats happenign with the BCC that Coinbase has acquired during the fork? Are they going to give it to us once they support BCC?

Yes but not till January.

So....if i had one BTC at the fork, then in Jan ill have 1 bcc also?

So....if i had one BTC at the fork, then in Jan ill have 1 bcc also?

Yep.

Excellent. I should have loaded up. Hindsight is 20/20!    :) 
    I should have dumped all my money in bitcoin if i m thinking like that. 
    Where to next. What are the next big plays?

• Advertisement

Excellent. I should have loaded up. Hindsight is 20/20!    :) 
    I should have dumped all my money in bitcoin if i m thinking like that. 
    Where to next. What are the next big plays?

Difficult to say. I haven't been following closely recently. It's a bit of a lottery.

Advertisement