Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should sites like Seatwave be closed down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If i buy a loaf of bread for a €1, and as i walk out the door of the shop someone offers me €1.01 for that loaf, should that be illegal? If you buy a ticket and someone wants to pay you more than its worth, where is the problem?

There is a limit on the number of tickets available for the Dublin Tyrone match.There is really no limit on loafs of bread available to be bought..

You've just taken advantage of an idiot, the ticket touts take advantage of people who are desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

JMNolan wrote: »
    I think this is why tickets are different

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0723/892408-ticket-touting/

Reselling tickets has always had a stigma associated with it though, don't think it's anything to with enterprising criminals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I wanted to take the wife to Coldplay few weeks back but Seatwave wanted 200 a pop for tickets. Morally i refused to pay that even though she really wanted to go and i didn't get laid for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Seatwave as a site is fine, the ethics behind it are all wrong.

If I buy a ticket for something at face value, can't go and want to put it back on the market for face value, seatwave should be the place for that.

If the owners of the site take a block of tickets from another site which they happen to own to sell out the gig, and resell the tickets at extortionist prices, that should not be allowed.
    It's basically insider trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's basically insider trading.

I don't like it. But it is not insider trading. That is when you exploit information to hoodwink a third party. Or deliberately withhold information material to the value of the commodity.

There are only two parties here - the ticket seller and sundry consumers.

They sell at different prices to different buyers at different times. This is price discrimination and is quite normal and ethical. E.g. restaurant lunch and dinner bills vary quite a bit.

The price of anything ethically is the meeting point of the lowest the seller is willing to let go for and the highest the buyer is willing to pay.

If you really, really, really want to see Ed Sheeran, Kodaline, Coldplay or whatever bland (sic) du jour the herd feels is talented, you must fork out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's basically the artists are setting the price too low for the demand so they can show they're non-elitist.

They should either do everything via ID and or credit card (something that is tied to 1 person, maybe allow one guest per CC), or they should just start off letting the market bid for all tickets (again, max of 1 or 2 per person) and cut the touts out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

B0jangles wrote: »
    It would only be the same if you had bought the newest console from the same company you then used to resell it, and that company stood to make more from the second sale than the first.

The bottom line is that Ticketmaster stands to make MORE money from the Seatwave sale than they do from the original sale. It is 100% in their interest to make sure as many tickets are resold on Seatwave as possible, and by any means they are able to get away with.

It's a little like the Gamestop business model where the profit margin for them is massively bigger when they sell used games than from new ones, but instead of the used games being cheaper than the new ones, they are 2-5 times the original price.

Used games cheaper than new ones!?. Never seen this ever.Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Amirani wrote: »
    Despite the majority of people being happy to live in a market-based economy whereby the value of commodities is set at the amount that people are willing to pay, for some reason people have an irrational emotional aversion to such when it comes to tickets. There are already measure in place against bulk buying of tickets that combat wholesale touting, but I don't see the issue in people valuing and buying/selling something they own for whatever fecking price they want. If the price is too high for you, don't buy the ticket...
    Letting the market decide the price would be fine if everyone had the same chance of buying a ticket, but they don't.
    What were seeing in this case and in others, is people with preferential access f*cking over those who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Used games cheaper than new ones!?. Never seen this ever.Please explain.

What?

In case of misunderstanding, Gamestop makes most of its money on the sale of pre-owned (i.e. used) games. They buy used games from people for at most around 50% of that game's new price but will sell that copy on for maybe 10 euro less than the price of a brand-new copy. So they get a much higher 'cut' from used games than they do from new ones.

Similarly Ticketmaster makes a percentage off the sale of every ticket they sell at face value. The tickets that are resold via Seatwave are sold for much higher prices, so Ticketmaster (via Seatwave) makes a lot more per ticket on Seatwave.

To make it even clearer: If they take a 10% cut on both platforms, a 35 euro ticket sold via Ticketmaster makes them 3.50, that same ticket if resold on Seatwave for 200 euro makes them 20 euro.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If i buy a loaf of bread for a €1, and as i walk out the door of the shop someone offers me €1.01 for that loaf, should that be illegal? If you buy a ticket and someone wants to pay you more than its worth, where is the problem?
    If I go to a shop to buy bread for a €1 and I find out they've already sold all the bread to the guy standing outside the door , even though they are only sell two loafs to each person that's one thing.

But if it's the last bread for the next few years and I know the shop is taking a backhander of €1 from the guy and the guy is selling it for €3 ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If I go to a shop to buy bread for a €1 and I find out they've already sold all the bread to the guy standing outside the door , even though they are only sell two loafs to each person that's one thing.

But if it's the last bread for the next few years and I know the shop is taking a backhander of €1 from the guy and the guy is selling it for €3 ?
    Then either be (a) the first person there when shop opens or (b) the guy giving the backhander.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Never heard of Seatwave until now but it sounds gas because ticketmaster owns it.

So ticketmaster sells you the ticket in the first place. Then they can make a percentage of you selling it on. Genius.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Then either be (a) the first person there when shop opens or (b) the guy giving the backhander.
    The problem is the guy and all his mates keep cutting in ahead of you or even uses the back door to the shop and the shop doesn't do anything to prevent this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

No.

The only way touting will stop is if people refuse to buy from them.

Simple. If you don't get a ticket at face value through official channels don't encourage these maggots by paying over the odds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

B0jangles wrote: »
    What?

In case of misunderstanding, Gamestop makes most of its money on the sale of pre-owned (i.e. used) games. They buy used games from people for at most around 50% of that game's new price but will sell that copy on for maybe 10 euro less than the price of a brand-new copy. So they get a much higher 'cut' from used games than they do from new ones.

Similarly Ticketmaster makes a percentage off the sale of every ticket they sell at face value. The tickets that are resold via Seatwave are sold for much higher prices, so Ticketmaster (via Seatwave) makes a lot more per ticket on Seatwave.

To make it even clearer: If they take a 10% cut on both platforms, a 35 euro ticket sold via Ticketmaster makes them 3.50, that same ticket if resold on Seatwave for 200 euro makes them 20 euro.

It's a little like the Gamestop business model where the profit margin for them is massively bigger when they sell used games than from new ones, but instead of the used games being cheaper than the new ones, they are 2-5 times the original price.

OK though the OP above meant used games cheaper than new. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have no issue with people selling tickets for a higher value. I think the idiots are the people who are willing to pay above and beyond for these tickets are the problem.

Advertisement