Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Damn close' asteroid due to miss hitting us this time ... but only just.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

kona wrote: »
    Hopefully hits north korea and sorts that problem out.

Unless they think its the US attacking them and then go full nuclear apesh*t

Maybe Kim can show us all how good his nukes are by sending one into orbit to blow this up???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I wonder what the asteroid is made from?

A dense hard rock or a soft porous burny up type.

Also I wonder if it misses us this time based on the change in trajectory of orbit since the last fly by. Will it hit us next time?

Hmmm questions questions. :):p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I am sick and tired of all these asteroids would they ever just fcuk off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Starts thread about a asteroid near miss mentions Trump and N.Korea, christ I can't get away from it!

Trump is the new Hitler in Godwins law.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I honestly think that if an astroid big enough to change mankind's way of life forever was on a collision course with earth, our governments would not tell us. What would be the point? All it would do is cause mass panic in our final days / weeks. Looting, rioting - A full breakdown in society - And there would be no police, they'd be with their families.

I'd prefer to go out in blissful ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Phew!

Let's go burn down the observatory so this will never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

To be fair it caused $33 million in damage, not exactly just some broken windows.

But if it hit the ground it would be worse.

Not really. There is a reason why the modern nukes are designed to air burst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm more of a zombie apocalypse man myself. There's no craic in being clobbered by a giant space rock.
    Chin up, it could carry a space plague that'd turn 50% of survivors into zombies!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    No idea, but I sure hope Aerosmith have another song in the bag for the occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

In hospital for a hip replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The good news is that they're usually worth more than 24ct gold, per gm, and you could heat up some marshmallows from it for a few weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I wonder what the asteroid is made from?

A dense hard rock or a soft porous burny up type.

Also I wonder if it misses us this time based on the change in trajectory of orbit since the last fly by. Will it hit us next time?

Hmmm questions questions. :):p
    Anything going 3Km/s will have the same energy as an equivalent weight of TNT

This asteroid is travelling at 14Km/s so matter (sic) what it's made of it'll have the energy of 21 times it's mass of high explosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

As said in the article test what we could do as it passes by.

Why not blow it out of space?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As said in the article test what we could do as it passes by.

Why not blow it out of space?
    And risk turning one dangerous falling object into many?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Send a load of painters up to it. Paint it some colour that the Sun's rays could deflect the sneaky bastard away from us.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 22,366 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I honestly think that if an astroid big enough to change mankind's way of life forever was on a collision course with earth, our governments would not tell us. What would be the point? All it would do is cause mass panic in our final days / weeks. Looting, rioting - A full breakdown in society - And there would be no police, they'd be with their families.

I'd prefer to go out in blissful ignorance
    Governments can't stop dudes with telescopes though. Head over to the astronomy forum. They'd know about this way before any government official got the briefing on what an asteroid actually is.

buried wrote: »
    Send a load of painters up to it. Paint it some colour that the Sun's rays could deflect the sneaky bastard away from us.

Yeah, f*ck these guys

3a7601bd62111b06f333c68b67be24c9.jpg

Send these guys!

1264743.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Time for a quick fap before Armageddon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

kona wrote: »
    Hopefully hits north korea and sorts that problem out.

Pentagon would be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The earth gets hit by many falling objects every day, and the asteroid is not on target for the earth in any case. It's not a terrible idea to test the capacity to hit it, even with a rocket with no payload.

We wouldn't get too many do-overs for an asteroid which was on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Preparation H might work....no..wait...thats for haemarroids... sh1te!

Nuke the crap outta it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Shpudnik wrote: »
    LordSutch wrote: »
    However, the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope, in Chile, has now located the rock and determined its distance".

Very unpredictable orbit by the sound of it.

There is something refreshing in a world of science terms that they would come up with something like this.

It's very precise actually.....perched up there between the Fairly Large Telescope and the Extremely Large Telescope. Not in the same league as the Humungously Large Telescope or the Unbelievably Large Telescope though...

Sand wrote: »
    The earth gets hit by many falling objects every day, and the asteroid is not on target for the earth in any case. It's not a terrible idea to test the capacity to hit it, even with a rocket with no payload.

We wouldn't get too many do-overs for an asteroid which was on target.

Agree
    Actually what measures do governments have to stop asteroids? Must be something floating about. Even if it's only theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Agree
    Actually what measures do governments have to stop asteroids? Must be something floating about. Even if it's only theory.

I wouldn't assume tbh. The maximum range of an ICBM is about 11,500 km. So actually, the Earth doesn't actually have the capacity to even hit this 'near miss' asteroid with its nukes as its out of range. And sending up nukes (perhaps multiple nukes- its the only way to be sure) at that sort of range to the earth has to lead to fallout. As for capacity, NASA is probably the best funded space program and it is so underfunded that since the retirement of the shuttle (without replacement) it relies on Russia to get its astronauts to the ISS. If an asteroid is spotted with say a 2-3 month lead time, I wouldn't expect decades of neglect to suddenly be recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It's okay, this is being managed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvation_(TV_series)

Current TV series nearing S1 end.

Agree
    It's pretty easy to stop one from hitting us if we find when it's far away. All we need to do is nudge it slightly and it will miss us.
    We could intercept it with a probe and attach a thruster to it with a harpoon and just change it's velocity slightly in any direction and it would miss us.
    the closer it is, the more of a course adjustment it would take for it to miss us. So if we found an asteroid that was only a few months away, there's probably nothing we could do.

Sand wrote: »
    I wouldn't assume tbh. The maximum range of an ICBM is about 11,500 km. So actually, the Earth doesn't actually have the capacity to even hit this 'near miss' asteroid with its nukes as its out of range. And sending up nukes (perhaps multiple nukes- its the only way to be sure) at that sort of range to the earth has to lead to fallout. As for capacity, NASA is probably the best funded space program and it is so underfunded that since the retirement of the shuttle (without replacement) it relies on Russia to get its astronauts to the ISS. If an asteroid is spotted with say a 2-3 month lead time, I wouldn't expect decades of neglect to suddenly be recovered.

Why use an Icbm to target something a hundred thousand kilometers away, use a rocket and just put a nuke as it's payload (if that's what you want to do)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Akrasia wrote: »
    Why use an Icbm to target something a hundred thousand kilometers away, use a rocket and just put a nuke as it's payload (if that's what you want to do)

As long as you don't release ZOD I don't care.

Advertisement