Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV/broadband wiring etc. in a new build

Options
  • 09-08-2017 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

This new build house has both tv points and phone points going in. The house is 'piped' for Virgin. So I assume that the tv points connect to the Virgin (old UPC) tv cable and the phone points must connect to the Eir phone network... please correct me if I'm wrong!

What I'm wondering then is which of these do the different tv and broadband providers use. The following is what I understand to be the situation but can anyone correct me if I'm wrong and fill in the blanks for me too please?
    • Sky broadband - uses the Eir phone line and therefore a line rental fee is to be paid
    • Sky TV - does that also require the Eir phone line?
    • Virgin broadband - uses the Virgin (old UPC) cabling, so no line rental needed
    • Virgin TV - uses the Virgin (old UPC) cabling, so no line rental needed
    • Eir broadband - uses the Eir phone line and therefore a line rental fee is to be paid
    • Eir TV - uses the Eir phone line and therefore a line rental fee is to be paid
    • Vodafone broadband - I have no idea how this is provided
    • Vodafone TV - I have no idea how this is provided

Thanks,
      Jim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

Every broadband provider except Virgin uses Eir's line. Vodafone & Eir TV are IPTV services delivered over their broadband connecions. You need a minimum download speed of 40mb to be able to avail of these services, so if you have ADSL broadband and eir haven't upgraded your local cabinet to fibre then you won't be able to order them.

Sky TV requires a satellite dish, and you would need a broadband connection for on-demand services.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kalamityjim

Cheers! That explains pretty much everything!

So if I am going with anyone other than Virgin, will I need to pay a monthly line rental on the Eir telephone line as well as my Vodafone/Sky/Eir monthly subscription? I had Sky in our previous apartment and we had to pay line rental on an 18-month contract. But I haven't been approached by anyone demanding a line rental fee in my current apartment for some reason and I'm still with Sky... maybe the landlord is paying it...

Nowadays there generally isn't a separate line rental charge. I was paying €45 per month to Eir for broadband and phone but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kalamityjim

Karsini wrote: »
      Nowadays there generally isn't a separate line rental charge. I was paying €45 per month to Eir for broadband and phone but that was it.

Thanks. If you're going with Eir broadband, then I'd assume the line rental is included in the monthly subscription amount like in your case. But if you are not using Eir as your provider and have Sky or Vodafone using the phone line, will there be a line rental to Eir as well as your Sky/Vodafone subscription?

Thanks. If you're going with Eir broadband, then I'd assume the line rental is included in the monthly subscription amount like in your case. But if you are not using Eir as your provider and have Sky or Vodafone using the phone line, will there be a line rental to Eir as well as your Sky/Vodafone subscription?
      No, the line rental cost is now included in the monthly subscription irrespective of provider. The only time that I could see it getting complicated is if you had, let's say Eir for your phone service and Vodafone for your broadband.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Vodafone & Eir TV are IPTV services delivered over their broadband connecions. You need a minimum download speed of 40mb to be able to avail of these services, so if you have ADSL broadband and eir haven't upgraded your local cabinet to fibre then you won't be able to order them.

I believe eir will provide you with a TV service with a connection as low as 12 Mbps, 40Mbps for Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tricky2beat

The Cush wrote: »
      I believe eir will provide you with a TV service with a connection as low as 12 Mbps, 40Mbps for Vodafone.

Vodafone changed that to 28Mbps (3 HD channels at the same time) and have wireless multiroom box. You can move the second box anywhere in the house and it accesses all your recordings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭yammagamma

Every broadband provider except Virgin uses Eir's line. Vodafone & Eir TV are IPTV services delivered over their broadband connecions. You need a minimum download speed of 40mb to be able to avail of these services, so if you have ADSL broadband and eir haven't upgraded your local cabinet to fibre then you won't be able to order them.

Sky TV requires a satellite dish, and you would need a broadband connection for on-demand services.

not every broadband provider uses eirs lines. there are many that use there own wireless systems digiweb imagine and many more rural local providers and you dont need a sky dish to get sky anymore it can be got through iptv as well ie nowtv

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

yammagamma wrote: »
      not every broadband provider uses eirs lines. there are many that use there own wireless systems digiweb imagine and many more rural local providers and you dont need a sky dish to get sky anymore it can be got through iptv as well ie nowtv

He's in a DOCSIS area, he'd be crazy to chose a weaksauce FWA product when there are far better options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭yammagamma

meant to say if its a new build make sure the house is also wired up with network cable with the tv points a modular wall plate with satellite/network. i just spent a weekend up in the attic,removing floor boards skirting trying to wire up all tv points with cat6 cable trying to get cat6 down conduit with sat cable wasnt easy and through stud walls upstairs

• Advertisement
    Advertisement