Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor recommendation: 1080p, 1440p, ultrawide

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

back in yer box Jaden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Picked up an AOC Q2577PWQ the other week for a decent price. (25", 1440p, IPS, 60hz)

Have yet to really fire it up but hoping for good results :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

One thing to look out for in the high refresh rate monitors is PWM - Flicker

I previously had a Asus VG248QE and the flicker was causing me immense eye strain.

It may not be an issue for you and some people report no problems with it, but something to keep in mind.

As for the monitor recommendation -

Ridiculous budget allowance: An ultra wide 34" 21:9 is awesome. Dual monitors are so last year.
    High budget allowance: 32" @ 2560 x 1440 is great. What I'm currently running. That extra 2" costs almost €350 more :confused:
    Hoi Polloi budget: 27" IPS or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a 27" 144Hz Freesync IPS 1440p and that is the sweet spot. 24" is the sweet spot for 1080p, 32" and bigger is 4k in my eyes anyway.

I do see small screen size 4k monitors for sale and think it is a pure waste. In the future I will get a 4k monitor but it will have to be 90HZ or higher and current graphics cards are not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

I've seen guys using 3 monitors (middle and 2 at around 45 degrees at each side) to play Race Sims and Flight Sims.

Would this be better or worse than using an Occulus Rift or HTC Vive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it would be a different experience as the VR headsets are more immersive as you can move your head around a full 360 degrees and see everything whereas the extra monitors would just give you more peripheral view with bezels you may notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Donne wrote: »
    I've seen guys using 3 monitors (middle and 2 at around 45 degrees at each side) to play Race Sims and Flight Sims.

Would this be better or worse than using an Occulus Rift or HTC Vive?

They are so radically different it's impossible to compare. The VR experience is far, far more authentic and actually puts you 'there' but VR isn't for everyone and it makes some people feel unwell after a while.

If you're playing a lot, I would say a multi-monitor setup is better. I love VR and would say objectivity it's a way better experience but it's not something I could play for prolonged periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

That's the reason I'm not interested in VR right now, I would most likely get sick.
    It's a shame since people rave about it especially for racing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

eyerer wrote: »
    That's the reason I'm not interested in VR right now, I would most likely get sick.
    It's a shame since people rave about it especially for racing games.
    Playing it seated with a cockpit game is the least sickening of situations. I can play Project Cars, Euro/American Truck Sim, Elite for hours on end without a hint of nausea, but ymmv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Playing it seated with a cockpit game is the least sickening of situations. I can play Project Cars, Euro/American Truck Sim, Elite for hours on end without a hint of nausea, but ymmv.
    Yep, I've spent hours playing Elite Dangerous with no problems. Nausea can be caused if trying to play the game with too high settings resulting in framrate drops and stutter.

VR is better for immersion than 3 screens but the resolution in VR still is still a problem so objects in the distance can appear very pixelated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Quick update guys.
    In the end I went for the LG 29UM68. It's flat not curved but I've read that the curve on the 29 inch monitors doesn't have the same impact as it does on larger screens.

I also upgraded to a RX 580.
    I did look at the 1070 but price difference was too big and with the 580 I can use freesync.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Remouad wrote: »
    Quick update guys.
    In the end I went for the LG 29UM68. It's flat not curved but I've read that the curve on the 29 inch monitors doesn't have the same impact as it does on larger screens.

I also upgraded to a RX 580.
    I did look at the 1070 but price difference was too big and with the 580 I can use freesync.

Not too bad. Freesync is the bomb... In all seriousness Fressync is totally worth it I would never buy another monitor with out it.

Advertisement