Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we becoming too Americanized, dudes?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

topper75 wrote: »
    I don't live in a bog or eat turnips. Yet if I'm eating a pack of taytos, those taytos could be any brand. Your theory needs a lot of work. :pac:
    That seems to be a personal gripe of his; he mentions the tayto thing regularly enough, to highlight the superiority of those who say "crisps" over the boggers who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

topper75 wrote: »
    I don't live in a bog or eat turnips. Yet if I'm eating a pack of taytos, those taytos could be any brand. Your theory needs a lot of work. :pac:

Nah see that's like calling all soft drinks 'Fanta'. If you're eating Tayto, they're gonna be Tayto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Are we becoming too Americanized, dudes?

In many ways yes.

You see & hear Americanisms nowadays that you didn't hear even twenty years ago!

From pronunciation to the written word, there are many Americanisms creeping in, dare I say pouring into our everyday speak, both on the airwaves and on the sidewalk street.

The refuse truck bin lorry visits our estate, we also go the Movie theatre cinema to see a good film.....

Endless list.

Thorough & borough anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Thanks for reaching out OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

It's the buying into the toxic bi-partisan culture that I don't get.
    The political environment over there is terrible and people seem to want to bring this thinking over here.

I'm sick and tired of something Trump did being the leading news story.
    Sure if he's invading a country that fine, but I just don't care about who he hired or fired today, how about reporting what happened in Ireland first.
    And having protests over his policies, if they bother you that much jump on a plane and head over there to protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When I went to school back home English is the language that you get taught from the age of 10 up until graduation. You won't have one teacher but usually between 4 and 8 during all these years. Some were trained in Oxford English, some did training in America. It really depends on how lucky you are with the teacher. Myself I have a horrible mix of some English, American and now Irish phrases too. My man picks on me whenever I use something american (classic example is I sometimes say fall instead of autumn).

As for culture, they can stay well clear of me property with it, gonna shoot them off, second amendment me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pelvis wrote: »
    A loo minimum?

A loo minum

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Omackeral wrote: »
    If you're a bog-dwelling turnip muncher maybe. Crisps are crisps. Tayto (singular) are a brand of crisps.

That's what the Yanks want you to think!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

One night I brought my daughter and a few friends home from a junior cert disco. All the way home it was "I was like to her" and "She was like to me"... etc. Eventuallly it was just my daughter and Sarah (not real name) for the last mile. After Sarah got out I said to my daughter "Jaysus of all your friends, Sarah needs to tone down that american accent. It's unbeleivably fake." She told me. "Sarah was born and reared in New York and has only been here 12 months."

Me and my big mouth.

I don't give a crap about accents and vocabulary. I lost my northern twang a few years ago on purpose and can't even remember what words are American or British.

But the cultural stuff is more interesting. Some parts are good, some parts are bad. Ireland's progressive stance on lgbt likely came from American TV etc. but the politcal / racial stuff seeping out isn't good. Segregation is suddenly progressive and I hope that doesn't catch on in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

There's nothing worse than someone from Cork speaking in a ridiculous unnatural Darby O'Gill accent because they have a weird hang up about sounding like a Dubliner.

Advertisement