Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Meteor 2001/2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭School Socks

I guess the teen/student market isn't lucrative anymore ? I guess that age group are all using apps now on the home Wi-Fi to communicate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I guess the teen/student market isn't lucrative anymore ? I guess that age group are all using apps now on the home Wi-Fi to communicate ?

Yep. I'd say a portion don't even have a working SIM card and since they rarely leave the house they don't need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

They're being re-banded by their parent. Why assume their core market isn't lucrative?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How many more times are "Eir" going to rebrand in order to shake off the bad memories?

I don't think rebranding Meteor to Eir is a good plan. Despite their best efforts the Eir brand carried over a large amount of toxicity from the P⁊T, Telecom Eireann, Eircom brands and now Meteor will be in the same basket. Better for Eir to rebrand a couple of more times to shake off some more bad memories

Meteor is a much stronger brand than Eir imo. Eircom is a company that many despise (not least the share IPO that made mugs of half the population) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I imagine three have that cornered now with the all you can eat data plan??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,744 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I worked for Meteor for a number of years and it was one of the best, most commercially astute companies I have ever worked for, but alas Eircom was doing everything in their power to **** it up.

I remember when Eircom brought out Eircom mobile which became a direct competitor to Meteor, which they already owned. It was, quite frankly, an absolutely bizarre business decision, but then Eircom aren't exactly renowned for their business competence. They have obviously now realised that was stupidity and alas we will see the end of the Meteor brand.

I always assumed that the reason they brought out Eircom/e/eir mobile was to try and tap into the part of the market traditionally held by O2/Vodafone because the Meteor brand was (originally anyway) seen by many as the "kids network" (as evidenced by many of the posts here).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I own meteor 120 euro, does this mean I don't have to pay them ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Anyone else remember when they first came to Ireland under the brand new Orange and had the tag line:

Man, they hastily re-branded after that.

Completely different company with zero to do with Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

They'd probably have been better off to rebrand everything as meteor. I think an American company came up with the meteor brand originally before big sold back to eir. American companies are much better at branding, unless it's twee and Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Anyone else remember when they first came to Ireland under the brand new Orange and had the tag line:

Incorrect. Orange where in the running for the license but Meteor won it. They were never branded Orange.

Orange did use that phrase in the UK though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Meteor is a much stronger brand than Eir imo. Eircom is a company that many despise (not least the share IPO that made mugs of half the population) .

True, but Quadplay is what all Telcos want. They werent going to rebrand Eir PH/BB/TV to Meteor so Meteor was always on the chopping block.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I worked for meteor for a few years, pre-eircom and during eircom. Was a great company to work for. Slowly became a grey company the more eircom stuck their oar in. It was the start of their downfall.

By the way, the free texts was an accident. It turned out their billing system couldn't charge for on-net usage (glitch in the system). They ran with it as an offer (remember the offers were only until end of x month, but kept getting extended). Eventually they realised how much it helped their business grow, so kept it. Always miss working there! This was when they were based out in Parkwest, Kingswood and the AOL building in citywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd personally agree. I'd have far fonder memories of Meteor than of eir. I personally think this is a bit of a daft move.

And this is still one of my favourite ads of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I always assumed that the reason they brought out Eircom/e/eir mobile was to try and tap into the part of the market traditionally held by O2/Vodafone because the Meteor brand was (originally anyway) seen by many as the "kids network" (as evidenced by many of the posts here).

Eircom thought the eircom brand would sit better with corporates, but O2 and Voda had that market sown up. They also had a global presence that eircom could never compete with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

My house was a Meteor reception blackspot during the free texts craze...built up area just outside Dublin. Used to get dog's abuse until they'd be in my house and say 'Wow you really have no coverage at all'. Yes it wasn't just the enjoyment of paying 13c per text on o2..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,113 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

My first phone was a Meteor. It was a Trium Aria and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. It was a flip phone and had a retractable aerial.

trium-aria.jpg

I had to take it back a few days later as texting didn't work. Exchanged it for a Nokia 3210 and got addicted to Snake :D

Trium aria was my first phone too, although it was with digifone

Still have it, still works I think

Meteor's 3 year deal with the HEA to supply discounted broadband to 3rd level students was ending this summer. Wonder who will take it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Were meteor the ones that had those lapdance adverts?
    The first one was two women promising a lap dance, where they dressed up in Sami clothes and danced. The second were the two fella's promising a lap dance and they danced around a running track.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Speaks more of half the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are you spouting this rubbish as if it was true.

Orange have never operated in Ireland and lost out to Meteor when the licence was up for grabs.

There is no link between Orange and Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

antodeco wrote: »
    I worked for meteor for a few years, pre-eircom and during eircom. Was a great company to work for. Slowly became a grey company the more eircom stuck their oar in. It was the start of their downfall.

By the way, the free texts was an accident. It turned out their billing system couldn't charge for on-net usage (glitch in the system). They ran with it as an offer (remember the offers were only until end of x month, but kept getting extended). Eventually they realised how much it helped their business grow, so kept it. Always miss working there! This was when they were based out in Parkwest, Kingswood and the AOL building in citywest.

In my old job the CS manager there used to be the CS manager for Meteor, the story goes meteor were voted the worst CS under him....after he left they won a award for CS, can confirm hes a disaster.

Advertisement