Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healy-Rae away with the fairies?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Pity the fairies wouldn't take him away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

As a Dub i always find it embarrassing that the people if Kerry see fit to vote this lad and his ilk into office time and again and then i remember it's the people of Dublin that gave us Bertie Ahern time and again :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    As a Dub i always find it embarrassing that the people if Kerry see fit to vote this lad and his ilk into office time and again and then i remember it's the people of Dublin that gave us Bertie Ahern time and again :o

.....and Haughey and Lawlor :)

Maybe they held off pronouncing on the damage being done by fairies for fear of alienating a section of their respective constituencies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

BillyBobBS wrote: »

That's the problem with democracy....................every idiot has a vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

BillyBobBS wrote:
    As a Dub i always find it embarrassing that the people if Kerry see fit to vote this lad and his ilk into office time and again and then i remember it's the people of Dublin that gave us Bertie Ahern time and again

In Dublin we have a lot of politicians who see the bigger picture to the detriment of local issues, something they could learn from MHR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Yes its so much better having a politician that turns up only at election time and has a dislike of its electorate like Austin Deasy, but gets elected based on what his father did as a politician. Compare that to the Healy Reas that actually work for their electorate... I know who I would choose every time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Anyone as obviously mentally unstable should not be representing anyone in politics, local or otherwise.

This man needs professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

dodzy wrote: »

....believes in Fairies....

...and that they ruined a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I was hoping before I read it that the road was built near one and its presence (physical) lead to some foundation deterioration through natural means. Him having belief in Fairy forts is fine but voicing that belief as an elected official is a bit silly. Come on ffs. Anyway, no more ridiculous that most religious beliefs before we **** on the guy completely. On a side note, is there not laws against nepotism/croneyism when it comes to public officials? I would have thought that gov officials shouldn't be eligible for gov contracts? Or at least have some fairly rigorous screening? I know nothing about this and base all political knowledge on game of cards/thrones.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Fairies have released a statement:

"We have noting to do with the condition of the roads in Kerry nor do we have any relationship or business dealings with the Healy-Raes"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Do people really believe that he believes in fairies? The Healy-Raes are a very intelligent bunch wh know exactly how to play the public and those who think they aren't are the real fools.

There's some angle to this which will become clearer as time goes by.

Jawgap wrote: »
    According to Danny.......fairy forts caused dip in Kerry road

......more gombeenism? Or just incredible shrewdness because while we're talking about another load of nonsense from him he'll be counting the €8.7m his haulage firm has earned in State contracts

Not bad for a gombeen......;)

This thread would be much better if the title highlighted the multi-million euro shady deals he's receiving from the Irish state rather than the fairies distraction that he wants us to focus on. This fairies distraction has now passed the multi-million euro deal one as the most read story on The Irish Times thanks to people like the op facilitating him.

I wish people would stop being fúcking idiots about that family and all the dodgy deals that we, the Irish taxpayer, are paying for.

Danny Healy-Rae's haulage firm was paid €8.7 million in state contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

In Dublin we have a lot of politicians who see the bigger picture to the detriment of local issues, something they could learn from MHR
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Do people really believe that he believes in fairies? The Healy-Raes are a very intelligent bunch wh know exactly how to play the public and those who think they aren't are the real fools.

There's some angle to this which will become clearer as time goes by.

The Healey Raes are certainly in general a shrewd bunch but I think Danny might actually be a simpleton, his brother orchestrated his election just like he gave him his council seat but I genuinely dont think that Danny is anywhere close to intelligent.
    I can see why his Dad and brother were elected repeatedly although I heartily dislike the way they do business as its the type of politics that does the country as a whole no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Unfortunately its Politicians who see the bigger picture we need more of, we elect TDs to run the country not their constituency thats what we have councils for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

A standing TD's company being awarded government contracts seems all kinds of wrong. I'm astounded there isn't a massive fuss about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

theteal wrote: »
    A standing TD's company being awarded government contracts seems all kinds of wrong. I'm astounded there isn't a massive fuss about this.
    And yet here we are talking about that same TD's belief in fairies instead.

Don't tell me they aren't a smart bunch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Danny Healy-Rae knows to to keep his name in the papers during the summer holidays. Sure he did the exact same thing this time last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Underground passages (souterrains) are often in the vicinity of ring forts, maybe that's what he means?

“There are numerous fairy forts in that area,” he said yesterday. “I know that they are linked.

Not defending his sometimes daft statements, think this one might be taken slightly out of context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Fairies have released a statement:

"We have noting to do with the condition of the roads in Kerry nor do we have any relationship or business dealings with the Healy-Raes"

A representative for Moving Statues Ireland also confirmed they had nothing to do with the road conditions in Kerry but refused to drawn on any business dealings.

salmocab wrote: »
    The Healey Raes are certainly in general a shrewd bunch but I think Danny might actually be a simpleton, his brother orchestrated his election just like he gave him his council seat but I genuinely dont think that Danny is anywhere close to intelligent.
    I can see why his Dad and brother were elected repeatedly although I heartily dislike the way they do business as its the type of politics that does the country as a whole no good.

A simpleton might be harsh, but your observations are pretty accurate...Mike and Danny are chalk and cheese. They present a united front, but anyone in Kilgarvan will tell you there is little love between them. When the parents split, Mike stayed with his mother. Danny got the pub and farm from the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

salmocab wrote: »

A simpleton might be harsh, but your observations are pretty accurate...Mike and Danny are chalk and cheese. They present a united front, but anyone in Kilgarvan will tell you there is little love between them. When the parents split, Mike stayed with his mother. Danny got the pub and farm from the father.

That you Danny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Belief in fairy forts was actually a good thing in ways, a lot of our archeological heritage has survived to this day due to fear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Cute hoorism

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

?

You elect TD's to sit in our Dail Eireann, where national issues are debated and discussed and decision making to shape the entire country is made.

For local issues, your potholes and everything else, you have a locally elected council that can resolve these issues and have associated budgets for various issues.

If TD's were actually more focused on national issues and issues at a national level, and less concerned with sorting out medical cards and getting involved in local issues, we could have a more functioning government.

One of the core issues of our government setup is TD's having to constantly get involved and canvas local issues and people, so their reputation and voting preference is forged from local involvement and issues, rather then their performance at national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

TheDoc wrote:
    One of the core issues of our government setup is TD's having to constantly get involved and canvas local issues and people, so their reputation and voting preference is forged from local involvement and issues, rather then their performance at national level.

TheDoc wrote:
    If TD's were actually more focused on national issues and issues at a national level, and less concerned with sorting out medical cards and getting involved in local issues, we could have a more functioning government.

TheDoc wrote:
    For local issues, your potholes and everything else, you have a locally elected council that can resolve these issues and have associated budgets for various issues.

TheDoc wrote:
    You elect TD's to sit in our Dail Eireann, where national issues are debated and discussed and decision making to shape the entire country is made.

I agree with you, however I have found that many times local councillors have very little power and local TDs once they have gotten your vote you never see them again until. The next election. There needs to be some balance. There isn't in many constituencies at the moment. While I disagree with alot with MHR and feel we need to Look collectively at things from a broader point, I do admire some of the things he gets done at a local level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AlanG

Because of the lack of local taxation the local authorities rightly have very little power so TDs have to spend their time sorting local issues. The best solution may be to allow more local taxes, give more power to local authorities and introduce a list system for national parliament. None of this will happen.

Healy-Rae reminds me of both George Bush and George W. Their opponents are laughing at their stupidity as the so called clowns are taking all the spoils of winning. The "educated" folk aren't even smart enough to recognise the strengths of their opponents. These guys are getting exactly what they want and the people paying for it are laughing at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I agree with you, however I have found that many times local councillors have very little power and local TDs once they have gotten your vote you never see them again until. The next election. There needs to be some balance. There isn't in many constituencies at the moment. While I disagree with alot with MHR and feel we need to Look collectively at things from a broader point, I do admire some of the things he gets done at a local level.

And that admiration transfers into support. And that support turns into a vote.

And another seat in Dail Eireann is wasted on someone who has absolutely no power,ability, skillset or purpose in serving at national level.

And this is how politics in Ireland works, and this is the wool over everyone's eyes, not just the country by the way, as someone who grew up in an area that consistently elects Clare Daly I've seen how it works first hand.

You see these politicians doing good local work, and somehow equate that to "they will serve the country well nationally". Where in reality these people, who shouldn't be totally discredited in their local work which can be so good, they should be there, working at local level.

But with the status, the salary, the notoriety, the popularity and likely the "power" they go for bigger and bigger and their support gets them there.

And this is how we consistently get totally unequipped peers running our government, flipping and flopping, unable to make the tough choices because of the worry for the next election. Why we see the Dail empty for important issues, while TD's canvas their local area, or sit in their local office dealing with potholes, street light issues, parking queries and just general bollox that shouldn't be taking away from national focus.

The irony is that many people would say or believe they are voting these people for their interest at national level, but they have literally no influence or power in any decision making, and they have a ready made excuse of "well I'm just one person what can I do" when it doesn't go well, yet can spin and jump all over manufactured wins or benefits that had nothing to do with them.

A golden example for me at the moment is Shane Ross. Giving it all the big talk down the years, all the credit, support and exposure he received for his books and his columns and then eventually running as an independent people assuming he would be a good shout. Circumstance lands him in government and a ministry, where he has flailed around and floundered, and kept his position simply due to the setup of this coalition, as he has been a bumbling mess from month one. Completely out of his depth

• Advertisement

I wish people would stop being fúcking idiots about that family and all the dodgy deals that we, the Irish taxpayer, are paying for.

Reminds me of the Sean Quinn supporters, these people are deluded if they think that the likes of Quinn and the Healy-Rae family are working hard for anyone but themselves.

Advertisement