Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this feminist narrative become undone in the next world war?

Options
  • 06-08-2017 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I know you guys hate gender threads on After Hours but this is a serious question that's more critical of the movement in a constructive way.

People say that feminists don't get that a lot of gender norms originate due to innate biological differences in the physical and mental aspects of males and females. To what extent is debatable, but it is there.

Some feminists in the West want women to join in combat alongside men, drafts to be abolished, men to reject masculinity but I hear people worry that while the West 'weakens' itself with trying to be to egalitarian at the expense of common sense, traditional societies are growing their populations and improving their young people will common sense approaches to a future progressive society that still preserve gender roles.

So, if god forbids, Trump joins with liberal Western Europe in a war against Saudi Arabia and the Muslim world with Russia joining in, will our molycoddled young soliders lose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

jeanjolie wrote: »

So, if god forbids, Trump joins with liberal Western Europe in a war against Saudi Arabia and the Muslim world with Russia joining in, will our molycoddled young soliders lose?

What

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I just refuse to pay heed to the feminist narrative and encourage others to do the same. Ignore it and it twill die.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pretty much everything becomes undone in the next world war, feminism included.

If, by soldiers, you mean ground/air/sea forces, then yes. They'll be nuked. And no about of (whatever the opposite of molycoddling is) is going to save them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I know you guys hate gender threads on After Hours

And yet somehow here we are again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Some feminists in the West want women to join in combat alongside men, /quote]

Taught this was already the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Lads, it's a Bank Holiday.

Can we leave the pseudo intellectual bull**** for another day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I prefer my wars to have no narratives tbh.. just lots of shooting, explosions and dashes for enemy lines. None of this sentimental storytelling thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I just refuse to pay heed to the feminist narrative and encourage others to do the same. Ignore it and it twill die.

The irony of giving a Feminist movement the Silent Treatment... :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The next world war will knock away all the foolishness we've allowed to distract us.

Black, white, gay, trans, straight, left, right aint gonna matter a sheet when the next global conflict occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The Red Army had close to a million women serving in the Great Patriotic War. I don't think you could describe the Red Army as molly coddled. 

I fundamentally don't accept the OP's premise that allowing women into the armed services somehow undermines its fighting ability. As long as they're able to pass the same fitness tests as men, there really isn't an issue. You might have had a point 2,000 years ago when unit cohesion and physical strength were paramount but we don't live in that world anymore. The best soldiers are ones who use their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,323 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a vast amount of opinion and hypothesis in your post that you are pretending to be factual.
    will our molycoddled young soliders lose?
    Soldiers are invariably the ones that suffer.

What makes you think they are mollycoddled?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Where does this mish-mash of cobbled-together nonsensical bullshit come from?

troyzer wrote: »
    The Red Army had close to a million women serving in the Great Patriotic War. I don't think you could describe the Red Army as molly coddled. 

I fundamentally don't accept the OP's premise that allowing women into the armed services somehow undermines its fighting ability. As long as they're able to pass the same fitness tests as men, there really isn't an issue. You might have had a point 2,000 years ago when unit cohesion and physical strength were paramount but we don't live in that world anymore. The best soldiers are ones who use their head.

They also had female-only battalions who ran away screaming and crying from the lines.

A buddy was in the army and said the girls would complain of period pains and be left off drills/duties. Thank God Ireland doesn't need an army.

Victor wrote: »
    There is a vast amount of opinion and hypothesis in your post that you are pretending to be factual.
    Soldiers are invariably the ones that suffer.

What makes you think they are mollycoddled?
    According to Hillary Clinton, it is women who are the primary casualties of war. If she daid it, it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BeerFarts

Where are the lizard people while all this is going down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »

They also had female-only battalions who ran away screaming and crying from the lines.

A buddy was in the army and said the girls would complain of period pains and be left off drills/duties. Thank God Ireland doesn't need an army.
    You think there weren't all male battalions who **** their pants at the Blitzkrieg onslaught? Not a chance. I agree on the second point though, if women are getting off drill duty because of period pain then they need a kick up the arse. If you meet the standards, let anyone in. But I agree, you shouldn't lower your standards as means to allowing women in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Will someone put parental controls on that young fellas wifi quick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There's one problem with feminism.... and that it's all bollocks
    On paper, who wouldnt support feminism? I mean equal rights for everyone. Sounds fair right? problem is feminism is about the individual.

By that I mean so many moan about things over here and the west in general. But hold on, what about the middle-east and the like? where women are being treated bad. You never hear about western-feminists trying to come together to sort that sh*t out. No no. why should they? that's a different country. Who cares. So little miss suzie-feminist moans about "things" that effect her. Even if in actual fact there is nothing there. It's easy to moan why you aren't on 50k a year because of "men" when in actual fact you never went to college and knuckled down to achieve that.

So with that said, if there was a next world war watch as certain feminists would sing a different tune. It' about the individual. Who'd want to be on the front lines or in some sh*t storm of a conflict?
    It's like a cruise ship and it's being sunk. Then the captain says "Women and children first on the life boats!" - How many feminists would stop and say "that's not fair!" ;) - none. Point is feminism depends on what side of the situation you are on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 daisybun

There's one problem with feminism.... and that it's all bollocks
    On paper, who wouldnt support feminism? I mean equal rights for everyone. Sounds fair right? problem is feminism is about the individual.

By that I mean so many moan about things over here and the west in general. But hold on, what about the middle-east and the like? where women are being treated bad. You never hear about western-feminists trying to come together to sort that sh*t out. No no. why should they? that's a different country. Who cares. So little miss suzie-feminist moans about "things" that effect her. Even if in actual fact there is nothing there. It's easy to moan why you aren't on 50k a year because of "men" when in actual fact you never went to college and knuckled down to achieve that.
    So with that said, if there was a next world war watch as certain feminists would sing a different tune. It' about the individual. Who'd want to be on the front lines or in some sh*t storm of a conflict?
    It's like a cruise ship and it's being sunk. Then the captain says "Women and children first on the life boats!" - How many feminists would stop and say "that's not fair!" ;) - none. Point is feminism depends on what side of the situation you are on.

Are you for real?? Women are discriminated against because they don't "knuckle down"?? Jesus Christ I've heard it all now. Oh and welcome to Boards Kevin, I guess you really do need an outlet for your writing now that you're unemployed...

daisybun wrote: »
    Are you for real?? Women are discriminated against because they don't "knuckle down"?? Jesus Christ I've heard it all now. Oh and welcome to Boards Kevin, I guess you really do need an outlet for your writing now that you're unemployed...

Don't get your kevin reference :confused:

and yes there are woman out there who feel they are being held down despite not actually trying to better themselves. Life isn't fair. Life isn't easy. But it's easy to blame things than just deal with it and get on.

But a question to you... why are women still being treated bad in parts of the world? why is this still acceptable in this day in age. How come anything I read about feminism always refers to them.... and usually in the west. Why haven't women come together to help women all around the world? (you didn't touch upon that in your reply did you ;) )

Don't get your kevin reference :confused:

and yes there are woman out there who feel they are being held down despite not actually trying to better themselves. Life isn't fair. Life isn't easy. But it's easy to blame things than just deal with it and get on.

But a question to you... why are women still being treated bad in parts of the world? why is this still acceptable in this day in age. How come anything I read about feminism always refers to them.... and usually in the west. Why haven't women come together to help women all around the world? (you didn't touch upon that in your reply did you ;) )

It's absolutely wonderful that you are so concerned with the plight of women in the Middle East. So many people are only concerned with them in so far as it allows them to indulge in whataboutery whenever an uppity western woman dares to suggest that the status quo is not ok in the country she lives in so fair play to you for being so overly concerned about them.
    Sarcasm aside, it may come as a shock to you but it is possible to be concerned with the way that women are treated and/or perceived in western countries as well as taking issue with women's rights in more backwards countries. I know,mad, is t it??? Being able to see a bigger picture that allows for varying levels of sexism and misogyny?! Where will the madness end!

Oh, and the Kevin reference is about kevin Myers. The latest iteration in a long line of men with a public platform who feel it necessary to strut about whingeing about women that don't know their place.

It's absolutely wonderful that you are so concerned with the plight of women in the Middle East. So many people are only concerned with them in so far as it allows them to indulge in whataboutery whenever an uppity western woman dares to suggest that the status quo is not ok in the country she lives in so fair play to you for being so overly concerned about them.
    Sarcasm aside, it may come as a shock to you but it is possible to be concerned with the way that women are treated and/or perceived in western countries as well as taking issue with women's rights in more backwards countries. I know,mad, is t it??? Being able to see a bigger picture that allows for varying levels of sexism and misogyny?! Where will the madness end!

Oh, and the Kevin reference is about kevin Myers. The latest iteration in a long line of men with a public platform who feel it necessary to strut about whingeing about women that don't know their place.

Had no idea of that Kevin fellow actually.

So... what are these western feminists doing about the whole thing tho.
    Also I'd like to know whos holding you back? :pac:

Because give me one time in your life, over here, that you were held back for being a woman. Like yes, we could go back 50 years and things were different back then. But let's talk about now. Let's talk about you as a woman presumably living in Ireland. Who has held you back? Not what you may have read online about women holding you back etc. But you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Well if the concept of treating people fairly and equally gets undone in the next war then I guess the good guys lost.

Had no idea of that Kevin fellow actually.

So... what are these western feminists doing about the whole thing tho.
    Also I'd like to know whos holding you back? :pac:

Because give me one time in your life, over here, that you were held back for being a woman. Like yes, we could go back 50 years and things were different back then. But let's talk about now. Let's talk about you as a woman presumably living in Ireland. Who has held you back? Not what you may have read online about women holding you back etc. But you.

I have plenty, both work related and personal, none of which I have any intention of sharing with you. Best of luck with your campaigning for the women of Saudi Arabia however, I hope your awareness/ fund raising/ whatever goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Last I checked men aren't immune to nuclear weapons, so male or female, we will all be vaporized the same, if we are lucky that is. Poor bastards who live will not have a good time at all.

I have plenty, both work related and personal, none of which I have any intention of sharing with you. Best of luck with your campaigning for the women of Saudi Arabia however, I hope your awareness/ fund raising/ whatever goes well for you.

In other words you have none :)
    Any person with a genuine experience would post their experience to shut me up and put me in "my place" ... citing how much I was wrong because XYZ happened to them etc.

Keep on truckin' darling. You're not working me ;)

In other words you have none :)
    Any person with a genuine experience would post their experience to shut me up and put me in "my place" ... citing how much I was wrong because XYZ happened to them etc.

Keep on truckin' darling. You're not working me ;)

The vast irony in a man telling me that my experiences of sexism didn't happen because he didn't authenticate them is beyond hilarious.
    Thanks "darling" for the laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,323 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also used to bash Middle Eastern men (whatever level of justification there may be to bash some of them).

Advertisement