Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working life

Options
  • 06-08-2017 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that working is one of the biggest cons ever pulled?

Working 5/6 days a week in the year 2017 seems absurd to me.

Also the fact that those on welfare seem to be better or as well off than those of us who actually are working makes no sense at all.

We are here for a short time. I understand the need for money to live etc but do we really need to work Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Thinly veiled Ive got an office job post!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

timthumbni wrote: »
    I understand the need for money to live etc but do we really need to work Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 etc?

No. Go on welfare. You'll be better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Also the fact that those on welfare seem to be better or as well off than those of us who actually are working makes no sense at all.

We are here for a short time. I understand the need for money to live etc but do we really need to work Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 etc?

Oh look another "those on welfare have two mercs in the driveway, go on two holidays a year and eat caviar for breakfast" thread. Who'd have thought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I'm a college student but this is something that has really been bothering me over the last year or so.

When I graduate it'll probably be in some kind of office job (if I get a job) where I'll probably be working for some manager who I quite dislike but I'll probably become similar to over the next 40 years. Anyway, work your life away while the founder becomes rich and you earn a wage which is sufficient for survival but not really sufficient for growth and self actualisation.

Perhaps this is just me being slightly anti capitalist as it seems to be the done thing. I view it as working your life away and I would imagine it could become my greatest regret.

I'm still in college though, studying to gain one of these jobs so I do feel very hypocritical at times.

Entrepreneurship is honestly the only viable solution that I can see as I don't see a life on social welfare as particularly fulfilling either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Boards is beginning to crawl up its own hole to die sometimes.

Everyone has it better than me!!!! Cry me a river!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Sure what else would you be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

munster87 wrote: »
    Sure what else would you be doing?

Living

I'm a college student but this is something that has really been bothering me over the last year or so.

When I graduate it'll probably be in some kind of office job (if I get a job) where I'll probably be working for some manager who I quite dislike but I'll probably become similar to over the next 40 years. Anyway, work your life away while the founder becomes rich and you earn a wage which is sufficient for survival but not really sufficient for growth and self actualisation.

Perhaps this is just me being slightly anti capitalist as it seems to be the done thing. I view it as working your life away and I would imagine it could become my greatest regret.

I'm still in college though, studying to gain one of these jobs so I do feel very hypocritical at times.

Entrepreneurship is honestly the only viable solution that I can see as I don't see a life on social welfare as particularly fulfilling either.

It sounds like you definitely made some bad choices on the old CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Snow is falling, all around us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/family-of-ten-were-on-too-much-welfare-to-get-a-home

A couple whose sole income from welfare payments totals €48,000 have taken a court case over getting pushed off the waiting list for a council house after having their eighth child

• Advertisement

Working or not working?

Working gives you a sense of achievement and worth and a reason to get up each day.

Not having a job tears away at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Living

And how would you be "living" without a source of income?

wally1990 wrote: »
    http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/family-of-ten-were-on-too-much-welfare-to-get-a-home

A couple whose sole income from welfare payments totals €48,000 have taken a court case over getting pushed off the waiting list for a council house after having their eighth child

It's all in the surname

Living

Its not one or the other.

Science/Medicine. We live longer, healthier lives because of people who occupy their time working.

snowflaker wrote: »
    Working or not working?

Working gives you a sense of achievement and worth and a reason to get up each day.

Not having a job tears away at you.

80% of Irish people are disengaged with their work and workplace.

They are only there for the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Not necessarily

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

When I graduate it'll probably be in some kind of office job (if I get a job) where I'll probably be working for some manager who I quite dislike but I'll probably become similar to over the next 40 years. Anyway, work your life away while the founder becomes rich and you earn a wage which is sufficient for survival but not really sufficient for growth and self actualisation

So young and so bitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

SwD wrote: »
    It sounds like you definitely made some bad choices on the old CAO.

Honestly, I do enjoy my course and I worked extremely hard to get into it. I get to study a foreign language as part of it which i find very interesting and stimulating, but the whole concept of going into an office for 5 days a week for the rest of my life seems like borderline madness.

It's probably a little but idealist of me to think otherwise but I would like to imagine that there is a way to live without conforming to the "work until you die" approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Ah tim, if you don't see your job as your way of supplying some service that people need, you are in the wrong job or are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Be glad you have a 40 hr week.

• Advertisement

80% of Irish people are disengaged with their work.

They are only there for the cash.

If they weren't working they would notice the effect very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

wally1990 wrote: »

I know that's an extreme case but is does slightly take the piss...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Living

You'd go mad. The living would go to your head. Would be fine not working for a month or two but after that the free time would kill you

Honestly, I do enjoy my course and I worked extremely hard to get into it. I get to study a foreign language as part of it which i find very interesting and stimulating, but the whole concept of going into an office for 5 days a week for the rest of my life seems like borderline madness.

It's probably a little but idealist of me to think otherwise but I would like to imagine that there is a way to live without conforming to the "work until you die" approach.

As my grandmother used to say:

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Find a job that gives you purpose.

So young and so bitter!

Young and bitter or realistic and future focused?

Believe me I'm trying to find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Most people don't really provide anything valuable that society can't live without or even benefits from in any significant way.

Loads of people are working for companies who do little more than purchase cheap, often useless stuff from China to sell on over here. Often it's disposable plastic crap that the world would be better off without. Moving money around is also a huge business, as are lawyers who basically make their living from resolving (or excarberating) other people's petty squabbles.

Then you have industries that only exist because the government created a demand for them by law (BER assesors, 3rd party insurance providers)

Lots of things are just a money spinner. What seems a con to me is getting 1000s of young people to move to the city, pay a massive chunk of their wages on rent, get them to buy €7 pints, €4 coffees, €100s on designer garments made in China for a few cent. Some people really fall for that lifestyle but its sickening to see how much they spend and how little they actually get in return.

Most people don't ever find that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »

I've watched that film, I loved it!

Sadly, he doesn't exactly live very long. I loved his motives within the film but I'm not sure he found closure. A great story nonetheless.

Advertisement