Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your height = your success in life

Options
  • 06-08-2017 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭

Many scientific studies have found that the taller you are the more successful you will be. A person that is 5.7ft is much less likely to be as successful as a person that is 6.4ft

http://uk.businessinsider.com/tall-people-are-richer-and-successful-2015-9?r=US&IR=T
    (study inside the article)

There is no doubt that the taller you are the more money you will make and the higher position in employment you will command. There are exceptions to every rule but in the majority of cases, it applies. Another study has also found that most of the CEOS are well above average height or any other position of command such as a senior manager. So I guess your success is pre determined at least mostly anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Also, I heard down the hairdressers, this one was talking about a news article that if your hand was the size of your face you have cancer!

Must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

How come we have many famous 'little people' but no giants..

Does the NBA steal them all at birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mini me is worth a hundred billion dollars.

I call bullsh

I would imagine that, in the great scheme of life, it matters...but it matters FAR less than intelligence, looks, charisma etc. But all things being equal, a stupid, dull, ugly tall person may have marginally more success than a stupid, dull, squat person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Whatever about success.....people of small stature can be powerful. A man no more than 3 feet got me fired from a job once and I thought I was being helpful!!! I asked him if he needed help lifting his plasma T.V. How was I to know it was an Ipad!!??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

me_irl wrote: »
    Also, I heard down the hairdressers, this one was talking about a news article that if your hand was the size of your face you have cancer!

Must be true.

Quite a few scientific studies show that, if you want to be ignorant then more power to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I can guarantee that with 5 mins of googling I'll find another study that disproves the one in the link.

Is there a single tall people are there in the rich list? Probably not a statistically significant amount, and probably none that would say their height played a part in their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Can someone give me a boost onto the bandwagon so I can protest about being discriminated against?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Nah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Tall stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The world's richest man and his much taller father...

http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2009/08/27/billgatesx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's sad that some people think that jobs and money is what makes a life successful

eeguy wrote: »
    I can guarantee that with 5 mins of googling I'll find another study that disproves the one in the link.

Is there a single tall people are there in the rich list? Probably not a statistically significant amount, and probably none that would say their height played a part in their success.

Probably is where I stopped reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I often feel that height is something that people tend to attribute a little bit too much meaning to.

Confidence, charisma and the ability to deal effectively with people are much more important.

That being said, height is very important. Taller men are generally perceived as more competent, confident and more powerful. It's human nature to make assumptions based on appearances and the height factor isn't really any different.

To small men and woman, don't let it affect you. Walk around as if you're 10ft tall because if you allow it to become a self fulfilling destiny then it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Synthol wrote: »
    Probably is where I stopped reading.

Short attention span would definitely outweigh lack of height when it comes to success in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If there's a correlation it would peak and tail off, say a 7" person would not benefit from their height. And Bill Gates must be the exception that proves the rule :)

If there's a correlation it would peak and tail off, say a 7" person would not benefit from their height. And Bill Gates must be the exception that proves the rule :)

I have wrote in my first post that there are exceptions, look at the biggest picture instead of focusing on one or handful of humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I have wrote in my first post that there are exceptions, look at the biggest picture instead of focusing on one or handful of humans.

There's likely some correlation. Similar to being White or Male, or from certain families, having being educated in certain schools. It's only one factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Finally I have a legitimate excuse I can use as to why I am a failure.

I even have my epitaph picked out:

"He could have been great, if here were more than 5' 8 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

So... your height =/= your success in life.

Or "look at these tall people in powerful positions, don't look at the short ones" skewed study.

Yeah, I like to take weasel worded articles as gospel too.

• Advertisement

Whatever about success.....people of small stature can be powerful. A man no more than 3 feet got me fired from a job once and I thought I was being helpful!!! I asked him if he needed help lifting his plasma T.V. How was I to know it was an Ipad!!??

Funny how it's acceptable to make fun of dwarfs yet if something similar would be said about an ethnicity then there would be massive outrage and this thread would be wiped off the face of the earth and all users banned permanently. These people don't choose to be the way they are, same as a person does not choose his ethnicity. Double standards.

me_irl wrote: »
    So... your height =/= your success in life.

Or "look at these tall people in powerful positions, don't look at the short ones" skewed study.

Yeah, I like to take weasel worded articles as gospel too.

Then find another one, Google search takes only a few seconds. Disapprove me if you are so strong in your dismissal. Find me one study that disproves this.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

theteal wrote: »
    It's sad that some people think that jobs and money is what makes a life successful

Name one successful person with no money and no job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

So now it's the biggest picture instead the tallest man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

TheBully wrote: »
    theteal wrote: »

Name one successful person with no money and no job?

Santa .

Funny how it's acceptable to make fun of dwarfs yet if something similar would be said about an ethnicity then there would be massive outrage and this thread would be wiped off the face of the earth and all users banned permanently. These people don't choose to be the way they are, same as a person does not choose his ethnicity. Double standards.

As a coloured, 3'2' woman I take offence to your post......I posted a true story in after hours and you assume its a joke!

As a coloured, 3'2' woman I take offence to your post......I posted a true story in after hours and you assume its a joke!

Reported already.

Reported already.

Whatever makes your Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

The title of the thread is incorrect.

There's not a direct correlation between height and financial success.

What there is, is a correlation within certain specific subgroups i.e. most ceo's are x height or greater.

You've applied this to the general population. Error.

The 'taller=more success' theory will cease outside of the boardroom in that example.

Once you're in the hallway, or the accounts dept, or the mail room the truth is 'height =/= success'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Pretty sure it was a leprechaun she was talking about?

Advertisement