Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc turns on but no display, Help please

Options
  • 06-08-2017 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm after upgrading my pc it turns on but there is no display I upgraded the cpu motherboard and ram and it turns on but there is no display on the monitors I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 1600 and a msi b350 tomahawk I put back in my old parts and it boots up fine I'm using an r9 290 and an evga 600b power supply

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Does it boot using onboard graphics without the 290?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

No onboard graphics with a Ryzen I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Have a spare graphics card to test with?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No onboard graphics with a Ryzen I thought?

Never mind then, I've been out of PCs its just the first step in situations like this :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have you tried every port on the gpu? When I built mine it didn't work using the display port but was fine when I swapped to one of the hdmi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

You should put this thread in the PC Forum. You'll probably get more help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AleexF

@Mickeroo ,I have tried every port on the gpu as i have a double monitor display , i've tried using one monitor in both different ports and it still doesn't turn

Thanks for the help though

@Grahamer666 ill post it on that forum now thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Check that the Ram is inserted correctly and that it is not dirty.

If you have more than one stick of Ram in it, take one out and boot. Rotate them with one in one slot at a time.

@Suckit i only have 1 stick off ram and the ram and motherboard are both brand new so i dont think there the problem ,thanks ;)

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you can the bios when it boots try booting in safe mode. If that worked could be a driver issue.

Perhaps the gpu isn't getting enough power from the power supply? You definitely hooked up the power cables to the gpu?

there are light 4 lights on the motherboard and the lights for the cpu and ram light up but for the gpu and boot they dont light up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can you even SEE a Bios message or anything on the screen when you bootup...such as Press F# for Setup ?

no the monitors say no signal

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Have you connected the PSU cables to the GPU?

Have you updated the BIOS on the mobo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If you remove the GPU are you able to access the BIOS ?

It is possible to update the BIOS without display, but looking up MSI B350 Tomahawk and Ryzen 5 just seems to have far too many results mentioning issues.

There are also 'walkthroughs' ;)

(Personally, i would go with the 'it doesn't work, even with temp patches' route.)

no i cant

• Advertisement

no i cant see any bios msg there is no signal is what pops up on the screen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If the card is getting power from the psu and it's in the card slot properly you might have a duff card. I'd just check if you've connected enough power to the card. I know some cards need two 6 pin connectors to power them and one 8 or 6 pin isn't going to be enough.

@seantheman no i cant see anything there is no signal to the monitors

my card is R2 290 and it has and 8 pin and a 6 pin connector its full connected the card works with my old parts( CPU: AMD FX 4350 GPU:AMD R9290 RAM: 8GB ddr3 hyperx Mother Board:ASUSM5A97 LE R2.0) and my new stuff is rysen 5 1600 and a tomahawk b350 motherbaord and ddr4 curcial 8 gb ram i have a 600 watt psu and i tryed it with my friends 850 watt psu and it still wont turn on because we didnt think it there was enough power.

@Suckit my friend contacted msi for me and they said that my motherboards bios is up to date for the rysen cpu because i c=gave them the serial number

(Personally, i would go with the 'it doesn't work, even with temp patches' route.)
    What you mean? xDconfused

i can access the bios without a gpu because there are no on board graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

AleexF wrote: »
    @Suckit i only have 1 stick off ram and the ram and motherboard are both brand new so i dont think there the problem ,thanks ;)

Probably not, but some motherboards need 2 sticks of ram boot up. I assume you had more than one stick in it and dropped to one for troubleshooting?
    Happened to me, but this was on older tech.

AleexF wrote: »
    @Suckit my friend contacted msi for me and they said that my motherboards bios is up to date for the rysen cpu because i c=gave them the serial number
    What you mean? xDconfused

What i meant by saying that i would go with the "It doesn't work, even with temp patches" option

https://goo.gl/pkrrAH

Edited twice

https://goo.gl/ekRaUj

We tried the same setup with last week and it was easier to give up.
    When that is the early option, it can also be well worth taking. We did also follow the exact guide in the MSI youtube video and we got better results. We gave up on the Thursday, it was not worth it.

@suckit so would i be better off refunding the motherboard and buying a diffrent one?

• Advertisement

@Skatedude i only have 1 stick of 8 gb ddr4 ram

Advertisement