Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

How much is my 1986 LeBaron convertible worth?

• 05-08-2017 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭ Sabre Man

I think the time has come to sell my 1986 LeBaron convertible as I don't think I will be driving it again, but how much is it worth?

The engine is 2.2L with 4 cylinders, so not a muscle car by any means.

I have uploaded a bunch of pictures to Dropbox as I was unable to embed them into this post.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2vdp8gvp5rj3vud/AAD7OB5o3UynVMxXlbomnBiba?dl=0

I bought the car in 1997 while I lived in London and I still have all MOT and NCT certificates until 2012, which was the last time I used the car.

The mileage on the first MOT certificate is 66611. The current mileage is 1001 (6 digit display).

As can be seen on the pictures there is a little bit of rust a few places and the interior is a bit worn but otherwise the car looks great. The car has been stored in a garage for about 19 of the last 20 years. The convertible top and the small side windows are powered but the front ones are manual.

I think the top is leaking somewhere along the rear window (glass) but I haven't been able to find out where the water is coming from. The current top was replaced in 1997 by me.

The stereo comes with the car but I forgot to insert it. The original stereo stopped working some years ago. I think I may have it somewhere.

The car starts easily and runs well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭ carchaeologist

Front wheel drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭ Sabre Man

Front wheel drive?

Correct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,839 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

I feel your asking price of €500 is about right. In any of the places you mention you are selling your car, you should emphasize that you've owned it for 20 years. That's a major selling point, showing that you have loved and cared for your car for a very long time.

I've been in your situation. Where my much loved classic car was not used for a very long time and the car deteriorated. I guess that's what's happened with your Chrysler. Probably out of NCT for many years? At this stage if I were you, I'd probably prefer the car you have owned and loved for such a long time to go to someone who cares and who pledges to put it through the NCT and to drive it regularly. Top down for sure. Dare I say it? Maybe you should let the car go for free to a loving new owner.

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

unkel wrote: »
    I feel your asking price of €500 is about right. In any of the places you mention you are selling your car, you should emphasize that you've owned it for 20 years. That's a major selling point, showing that you have loved and cared for your car for a very long time.

I've been in your situation. Where my much loved classic car was not used for a very long time and the car deteriorated. I guess that's what's happened with your Chrysler. Probably out of NCT for many years? At this stage if I were you, I'd probably prefer the car you have owned and loved for such a long time to go to someone who cares and who pledges to put it through the NCT and to drive it regularly. Top down for sure. Dare I say it? Maybe you should let the car go for free to a loving new owner.

I placed the ad and got two enthusiastic callers within literally minutes. I have no idea how they were able to find my ad so soon.

Sold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement