Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Strength - do you have to bulk and cut?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭

Well my hijack didn't really work out, so I'll attempt a thread of my own...

Looking at my autumn plans (only a race or two left), and definitely need to do more strength work as a weak core and glutes have caused me a few injury issues.

I'm happy at my current weight (I'm not that light weight for triathlon, and hoping to do some cycle racing next season), and I'm kinda reluctant to get into a bulk/ cut cycle after having lost a substantial amount of weight and now been in maintenance a couple of years. However, not having done any caliper or any other tests, I kinda suspect my body fat could still be lower (could be a lot of waste skin too though).

The plan is mainly bodyweight exercises, including some suspension training, resistance bands, and some weights (but won't have access to a rack/ heavy weights though, maybe once a week). I'm probably going to get a PT that I've been doing a S&C class with to do a plan for the exercise, but in terms of diet, to see real benefit do I need to be looking at a bulk and then cut approach?

I'm happy enough with the diet aspect in terms of my protein intake, macros. It's not perfect, but think I have a grasp on that. My reluctance is really around the cut. It took me two years really to get to where I am (20 stone down to 12), as much as I'd enjoy the bulk phase I'm not sure my head is ready to get into another period of keeping to a deficit.

tl;dr to build strength do you have to bulk and cut, or can you see results at maintenance intake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Initially, no. Someone new to strength / resistance training will experience benefits and progress for a period due to neurological and movement adaptations - simply learning to do the movement patterns correctly and repeating them will make you stronger. A lot of strength gain for beginners is related to improvements in technique and efficiency.

If your primary sport is triathlon or endurance sports, bulking should be off the table anyway. All strength training should be supplementary to your primary goal, and your primary goal directly mitigates against how strong a human can be. Just make sure you're doing tons of mobility and working through full planes of movement and that you keep at it consistently once you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,128 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bulking is needed for size, but not strength. If you main goal is triathalons, work all your supplementary training.
    If that means not maximise every oz of strength gain you can, so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Even without maximising strength gains, you will make yourself much less prone to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even without maximising strength gains, you will make yourself much less prone to injuries.
    Well this is ultimately the goal. Thanks all.

Advertisement