Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Muscovy hatching

Options
  • 02-08-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all!
    My muscovy duck started to sit on eggs last week. My only issue is where she chose to build her nest. She decided that an old wardrobe full of paint cans in my tool shed was the best place! My question is if I try to move her will she come off the nest altogether? All Ive done so far is take away the paint cans so she has the whole shelf to herself. Also, the nest is made purely from her own down feathers and the timber beneath. Should I just let her sit there and see what happens? I've left food and water close by her also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Hillman86 wrote: »
    Hi all!
    My muscovy duck started to sit on eggs last week. My only issue is where she chose to build her nest. She decided that an old wardrobe full of paint cans in my tool shed was the best place! My question is if I try to move her will she come off the nest altogether? All Ive done so far is take away the paint cans so she has the whole shelf to herself. Also, the nest is made purely from her own down feathers and the timber beneath. Should I just let her sit there and see what happens? I've left food and water close by her also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Leave her be, she will be fine. Continue to leave food and water near her so that its there when she gets off the nest.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

A friend of mine has Muscovies and one of them always picks the most awkward place she can find to nest.
    Under a shed or a deck is her favourite, and at least once he's thought she's been gone to a fox.
    Food and water nearby and make sure the shed is as secure as you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

And don't forget that they take a week longer than 'normal' duck eggs to hatch. Good luck with them.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Never heard of a muscovy duck before. There's an unusual beauty to them :)

They've great personality too, and very good for garden pest control.

• Advertisement

niallb wrote: »
    They've great personality too, and very good for garden pest control.

Really? That's very interesting, I would never have imagined this type of bird would be good for that!
    I have a miniature dachshund here who is a bit of a dab hand at catching rats:D

More slugs and flies!

niallb wrote: »
    More slugs and flies!

Oh sorry! I hear/read "pest" and I think 4 legged horrors!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Hillman86

And don't forget that they take a week longer than 'normal' duck eggs to hatch. Good luck with them.......

Yep I knew about the extra week. Hope she hatches a few anyway. Must say Ive been lucky so far the past few weeks. My blacktop hatched 11 chicks and just today my RIR hatched 6 ducklings! 100% hatch rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Hillman86

erica74 wrote: »
    Never heard of a muscovy duck before. There's an unusual beauty to them :)

I'd recommend them highly! Lovely birds, definitely my favourite! Nice and quiet, lovely temperament.

• Advertisement
Advertisement