Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

critique my diet

Options
  • 01-08-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

So currently trying to bulk and am gaining on average .2kg per day. This would be with a workout

I will give my diet below and would like advice as to whats good and bad for bulking

Meal 1.
    3 eggs
    1 toasted white bagel (with a tiny bit of butter)
    1 PHD smart protein bar

Meal 2.
    200g Glenisk protein greek style yoghurt.
    15g whey
    2 squares of 80% dark chocolate

Meal 3 (this is cooked by family so portion sizes vary)
    2 white potatoes
    portion of veg
    1x chicken breast

Meal 4
    750ml lidl protein Milk
    100g cashew nuts

Meal 5 (pre workout)
    60g oats
    20g whey
    2 squares of 80% dark chocolate
    2 scoops of c4 pre workout

Meal 6 (post)
    6g coco pops
    20g whey
    250ml of lidl protein milk

As I increase in weight what would be good items above to increase the portion sizes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're putting on 1kg every 5 days, you don't need to add anything to that

How much weight you looking to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

If you're putting on 1kg every 5 days, you don't need to add anything to that

How much weight you looking to add?

Would like to go up 5kg before cutting again.

Even though im going up .2kg per day its hard to judge if I am putting on lean muscle or fat.

I am wondering would the diet above be too fatty?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mengele wrote: »
    Would like to go up 5kg before cutting again.

Even though im going up .2kg per day its hard to judge if I am putting on lean muscle or fat.

I am wondering would the diet above be too fatty?

Greg Nuckols says to bulk without it getting out of hand, you should be looking at putting on 1lb every 2-3 weeks. That's about .25kg/week.

1kg/5 days works out at 5kg in less than 4 weeks. It's not much time to put on much muscle.

If it was me, I'd slow it down and give yourself more time to build some muscle, for whatever that's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If you're putting on about 0.2kg/day and assuming that's 1kg+ per week it's probably a bit too much. A male can only really put on about 1-2lbs of muscle/month so any excess will be fat. But I guess it would also depend on your current weight, bodyfat % and how long you've been training for.
    From the above food, how do you know you're in a calorie surplus and by how much? It would be advised to only eat about 500cals above your maintenance calories.

Not sure what you mean when you ask if it's too "fatty"? Fat (the macronutrient in foods) does not make you fat.

Have a read of this, the last two sections sum it up well:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You do well to put on 200g lean mass in a week. Per day, and it's mostly fat.

But how are you tracking that's it's 200g/day? +1kg in 5 days doesn't necessarily mean you've but on 200g/day.
    7kg over 5 weeks is a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Unless you're taking anabolic steroids it's impossible that that 200g is all or even half muscle.

Since you're taking creatine 1kg of muscle per month is achievable, so you really shouldn't want to put on much more than 1kg of weight. Also note that your weight can fluctuate by a few pounds depending on whether you're taking creatine or not due to excess water weight.

Also, you're taking in an awful lot of protein from synthetic sources like protein bars and shakes and not much from meat. I'd replace that protein bar with a chicken breast. I'm assuming this is just a single day snapshot, but make sure you're eating red meat, since it contains important B vitamins.

You probably don't need as much carbs as you're eating, but without knowing your height and weight or the intensity of your workout programme or how much muscle you've already put on, it's hard to get an accurate read on your weight gain.

In relation to carbs, I find the best way to find your optimum carb intake is to keep lowering and raising your carb intake and figure out at what level you're strongest in the gym. If you find you can shave off one meal without losing strength or endurance the next day chances are you didn't need that meal, if you find you feel like a beast after that big bowl of pasta the night before then maybe you didn't have enough before.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

marcus001 wrote: »
    Unless you're taking anabolic steroids it's impossible that that 200g is all or even half muscle.

Since you're taking creatine 1kg of muscle per month is achievable, so you really shouldn't want to put on much more than 1kg of weight. Also note that your weight can fluctuate by a few pounds depending on whether you're taking creatine or not due to excess water weight.

Also, you're taking in an awful lot of protein from synthetic sources like protein bars and shakes and not much from meat. I'd replace that protein bar with a chicken breast. I'm assuming this is just a single day snapshot, but make sure you're eating red meat, since it contains important B vitamins.

You probably don't need as much carbs as you're eating, but without knowing your height and weight or the intensity of your workout programme or how much muscle you've already put on, it's hard to get an accurate read on your weight gain.

In relation to carbs, I find the best way to find your optimum carb intake is to keep lowering and raising your carb intake and figure out at what level you're strongest in the gym. If you find you can shave off one meal without losing strength or endurance the next day chances are you didn't need that meal, if you find you feel like a beast after that big bowl of pasta the night before then maybe you didn't have enough before.

not taking any creatine but good advice there regarding carbs ad to take the extra red meat. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

mengele wrote: »
    not taking any creatine but good advice there regarding carbs ad to take the extra red meat. Thanks :)

You said you're taking C4 so you are taking creatine.

Advertisement