Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Powering my GPUs

• 30-07-2017 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Pages

Hi all ,

I'm adding to my mining rig and have 2 GPUs that I got , the issue is on my PSUs i've only got 6 pin slots left and no idea what cables I need to power them

The other GPUs I've been powering with the 8 pin to 6+2 & 6+2 cables that came with the two PSUs I bought. But I've no more of them left and even if I did have more I'd have no more 8 pin slots on the PSU to attach them too.

So Essentially
    • I have 2 corsair PSU , but currently using the 4 8 pin slots on those.
    • I have 2 more GPUs I want to power but I've only got 6 pin slots left on the PSU and the GPU require an 8 pin connection to power them

Is it possible to power the remaining GPUs from the 6 pin slots on the PSU ?
    And if so what cable or adapters + cables should I be buying ? I would have thought something like this but from my basic understanding I need it to be male and male rather than male and female ?

Any help at all would be massively appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭ ED E

First of all work out how you're running in terms of power consumption. How many of what card?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Pages

I've got 6 1070s

Currently running 4 of them OC at 740w before i start to tweak power limits

So with two of the 850 corsairs I should have ample power. It's just I've no idea how to power them since I can't seem to find the cable to suit me

Corsair CX850M ATX Power Supply
    AC Input Rating	DC Output Rating
    AC Input: 100V - 240V	DC Output	+3.3V	+5V	+12V	-12V	+5Vsb
    Current: 12A - 6A	Max Load	25A	25A	70.8A	0.8A	3.0A
    Frequency: 47Hz - 63Hz	Maximum Combined Wattage	130W	[B]850W[/B]	9.6W	15W
    Total Power: 850W

It can provide the full whack on the 12v rail so you're safe to use it. PCI connector pins are just 12v and sense/gnd.

Splitters should be fine.

PCI-E-6-pin-to-2x-6-2-pin-6-pin-8-pin-Power-Splitter-Cable.jpg

Thank you for the advice ,

Sorry it this appears as a super dense question but what you posted above would that plug directly into the PSU ? I'm obviously a newbie to this but it looks as though I need a male 6 pin for the PSU

Or do I need a 6 pin cable to then plug into that one you posted above
    Just I'm gonna be ordering the 2 cables tonight and would hate to discover I need to order another one

Oh, its single 8P not 2x 6P on your cards? Doh. Yeah, just get whichever combination suits your requirements.

• Advertisement

Cheers but am i right in thinking that a female 6 pin like you linked above would not go into the PSU ?

It's just all the other cables I've going into my PSU are male ?

Dont touch the PSU end.

Use splitters to Y the existing connectors. So 8 pins at the GPU become 2x 8pins at the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,560 ✭✭✭✭ Skerries

is mining still profitable or is it slumping off?

Skerries wrote: »

About to tank.

Skerries wrote: »

It's gone worse, you've gone from a 3 month wait to recoup initial investment to now 10 months...

With eth going into POS you'll see a lot of diversity in what people will mine so massive risks / rewards with other coins

• Advertisement
Advertisement