Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion of my diet and exercise plan to lose fat and maintain muscle

Options
  • 29-07-2017 7:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭

I'm looking to lose some weight, I'm quite heavy at 19 stone and only 6ft tall. Whilst I'm fat I've quite a big frame. I'm built like a rugby player. I've joined the gym and would appreciate some opinions and advice. looking to get down to 14-15 stone
    My diet
    7.00am- 2 cups of  strong black coffee and a pint of water
    8:30am -2 greek yogurts 1 activia sugar free yogurt and 1 apple
    12:00-   Turkey sandwich, side salad
    7pm-      1x250g baked potato, 1x250g piece of  salmon, steak or chicken and lots of veg(450g)

Workout
    Upper/lower body split 3 days a week and lots of walking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

First of all are you using myfitnesspal (app/website/forum? )http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ If not I'd recommend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

You tube: Yo Elliott
    Follow him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    I'm looking to lose some weight, I'm quite heavy at 19 stone and only 6ft tall. Whilst I'm fat I've quite a big frame. I'm built like a rugby player. I've joined the gym and would appreciate some opinions and advice. looking to get down to 14-15 stone
    My diet
    7pm-      1x250g baked potato, 1x250g piece of  salmon, steak or chicken and lots of veg(450g)

Workout

Where do you think you fall down on your diet?

Autochange wrote: »
    You tube: Yo Elliott
    Follow him

Really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Transform wrote: »
    My diet

Workout

Im fond of the booze

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    Really?

Yes really. check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Autochange wrote:
    You tube: Yo Elliott Follow him

Comedy channel?

Diet looks pretty tight on cals, it'd be hard to stick to, better off going closer to maintenace less 20%, far easier to stay the duration.

Oh and drop the booze or at least make sure you're counting it's cals properly, though it really makes weight loss a lot harder.

bladespin wrote: »
    Comedy channel?

Defiantly not a comedy channel. He is a pro strong man and strength/ life coach.
    Very famous in the Us. Has some really good videos on training technique and diet to reach goals. Like i said check him out. See or yourself

bladespin wrote: »
    Diet looks pretty tight on cals, it'd be hard to stick to, better off going closer to maintenace less 20%, far easier to stay the duration.

Oh and drop the booze or at least make sure you're counting it's cals properly, though it really makes weight loss a lot harder.
    Its about 1500 calories, I probably should bring it up to 2000

• Advertisement

Here is an example

https://youtu.be/AEnHzV9XpL0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Your diet is awful.

I'm surprised nobody stated the obvious, when eating in a deficit to drop weight you will lose some muscle mass, if you are not using steroids this is a given.
    You need a MUCH HIGHER protein intake, that's not enough protein to maintain a fit 15 yr old girl.

You also need a carb source pre and post workout. Post workout you should always aim for a simple carb straight after (look into glycogen uptake / insulin response etc). You won't get fat from carbs that fit your macros.

I had to say it but, and this is based on science and yrs of experience, you realistically can build muscle whilst cutting of you're a natural bodybuilder /athlete. You pick one or the other, bulk or cut.

I forgot to add, you say you do lots of walking but I'm sorry to say that it won't make any significant impact on weight-loss.

My advice would be to do a 3 day split, push pull legs. Push exercises one day(shoulder chest triceo) , pull (back and bicep) and then legs. Monday Wednesday Friday for example.

Do not go high volume on a cut, aim to do 1 compound lift as your start each session followed by 3 to 4 accessory lifts. Don't go into high rep, aim for 6 to 8 heavy reps.

Do 10 to 20 mins after every session, using the treadmill in an interval fashion.

Watch your sodium intake, keep your water intake to 4 liters plus, 8 hours sleep minimum if possible.

Look into iifym, it's a handy way to eat what you want keeping it under target.

italodisco wrote: »
    Your diet is awful.

I'm surprised nobody stated the obvious, when eating in a deficit to drop weight you will lose some muscle mass, if you are not using steroids this is a given.
    You need a MUCH HIGHER protein intake, that's not enough protein to maintain a fit 15 yr old girl.

You also need a carb source pre and post workout. Post workout you should always aim for a simple carb straight after (look into glycogen uptake / insulin response etc). You won't get fat from carbs that fit your macros.

I had to say it but, and this is based on science and yrs of experience, you realistically can build muscle whilst cutting of you're a natural bodybuilder /athlete. You pick one or the other, bulk or cut.
    And here comes the bodybuilding broscience brigade. There's a good 120-150g of protein in the diet I posted . The post and pre hi glycemic drink is utter garbage especially for someone who is overweight. The protein your body will use to repair muscles is from the amino acids that are in your bloodstream which is from food you ate yesterday. post a pre workout nutrition is just another marketing ploy so the supplement companies can sell you something

The theory behind pre and post workout nutrition and what the supplement companies will market is as follows. 
    1.Take advantage of that post workout window
    2.Take some fast digesting carbs like dextrose with some fast digesting protein like whey isolate
    3. This will spike insulin levels and help shuttle that protein into your muscles to speed recovery
    Sounds legit, but its absolute garbage
    It takes a much longer for protein to get into you system than that

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cut the booze back or cut it out completely. If your drinking at home knock it on the head a few weeks and see the results, if your drinking at the pubs socially perhaps switch to a spirit with sugar free mixer. Booze can undo the good.

Cut the booze back or cut it out completely. If your drinking at home knock it on the head a few weeks and see the results, if your drinking at the pubs socially perhaps switch to a spirit with sugar free mixer. Booze can undo the good.
    100% agree, its easier said than done though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tell me about it :D. I've noticed myself that a month off the booze on a relative relaxed fitness regime I will lose more weight than 3 months going hard in the fitness area with moderate to heavy booze each weekend.

The theory behind pre and post workout nutrition and what the supplement companies will market is as follows. 
    1.Take advantage of that post workout window
    2.Take some fast digesting carbs like dextrose with some fast digesting protein like whey isolate
    3. This will spike insulin levels and help shuttle that protein into your muscles to speed recovery
    Sounds legit, but its absolute garbage
    It takes a much longer for protein to get into you system than that

Another idiotic response.

Read the original post.

He wishes to at least maintain muscle whilst dropping weight. You need a high protein intake to do so. Not Bro science at all, if you aren't aware of the above then do your homework.

Also, post workout is extremely important for those on a CUT . AT NO POINT did I or anyone else suggest he eat excessive carbs all day.

You mention supplement companies a few times.... Wtf Are you on about???? I personally don't use any, my protein intake and carb is from real foods. So what was the point of that supp company rant IN RELATION TO MY POST?

Also, what is your background in fitness? Don't come on here and tell me I'm wrong and spout your crap without some real world first hand experience.

Pretty comical that some guy with no actual experience / results is calling me out considering I've close to 15 years experience if successful dieting and training behind me lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Tylerdurex wrote:
    I'm looking to lose some weight, I'm quite heavy at 19 stone and only 6ft tall. Whilst I'm fat I've quite a big frame. I'm built like a rugby player. I've joined the gym and would appreciate some opinions and advice. looking to get down to 14-15 stone My diet 7.00am- 2 cups of strong black coffee and a pint of water 8:30am -2 greek yogurts 1 activia sugar free yogurt and 1 apple 12:00- Turkey sandwich, side salad 7pm- 1x250g baked potato, 1x250g piece of salmon, steak or chicken and lots of veg(450g)

Transform wrote:

I would opine that this is not,in fact his diet. This is a diet he copied and pasted from another site and he has been posting this nonsense,under different names for a decade.
    Look up juanveron,timetogetfit,shadowcomplex,vampireskiss,liberation etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

italodisco wrote:
    Another idiotic response.
    italodisco wrote:
    Read the original post.

Both posts were from same person...

Autochange wrote:
    Defiantly not a comedy channel. He is a pro strong man and strength/ life coach. Very famous in the Us. Has some really good videos on training technique and diet to reach goals. Like i said check him out. See or yourself

I have.

Pretty comical that some guy with no actual experience / results is calling me out considering I've close to 15 years experience if successful dieting and training behind me lol

15 years of dietting? Jaysus.

15 years of dietting? Jaysus.

Lol

Not 15 bloody yrs of a constant diet as such but over 15 years I've been vigilant with macros and have managed my weight well.

At present I'm eating 600 cals above my TDEE requirement, mostly quality fats and protein from fish sources with the occasional bit of beef. On training days that 600 cals does increase up to an 1000 due to the addition of pre and post workout carbs. Intend to only eat a direct carb source on a training day and it is around the training period itself.

Over a two month period I'm down 6 kilograms but measurements have not really changed so I am holding onto the majority of muscle.

The biggest most significant positive change I ever made was, when the rare occasion popped up, having a spirit with soda water and lemon or lime instead of a beer or tonic water AND not having the odd sneaky sweet or treat that is generally considered harmless.

Also, I never set my goals against unrealistic targets, nowadays steroid use is huge and most users on Instagram etc claim to be 'natty', in turn this leads to beginners thinking that it's achievable with a bit of creatine. Lol.....

Im very open and happy to help with any questions via pm if the op is willing to be less ignorant and more receptive, and no, I'm not a personal trainer looking for a few quid.

Your diet is awful.

oh christ here we go! ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What do you think the protein % (in terms of marco split) was in the posted diet?
    What % do you think he should aim for?
    And here comes the bodybuilding broscience brigade. There's a good 120-150g of protein in the diet I posted.
    An on the other side of the coin. Where do you think you are getting 150g from?
    I'd have said it was less than that, but I'd also have said it falling short of 1500 cals.

youre not going to be able to out train all the booze chief, you can have results or you can have your beers on the weekends, its a choice.

However, 1-2 beers on any weekend wont harm your goals in an major way so long as the rest of the week is looking on point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

With these threads you will always get responses from people who think their way is the only way to diet and loose weight. The fact of the matter is, calories in vs calories out. At the end of the day that is what makes you loose weight.

If I was you OP, I would workout my daily maintenance calories. There are plenty of calculators available online. This one will work out your maintenance, recommended deficit and give you a macro breakdown.
    Calorie Calcualtor

Most important thing for me when I diet down is to get as close to my daily protein target as possible, this will help muscle retention while in a deficit. After that, you can be flexible with carbs and fats. It is important to eat fats as they help with hormone balance, but you can increase fats/ decrease carbs and vice-versa to suit your daily food intake. As long as you stay within the calorie deficit then you will loose weight.
    If you choose to do cardio in the gym to complement this, it will add towards your calorie deficit. That is all. If you enjoy the cardio, by all means go for it, if you don't, try a brisk walk everyday, something that will be sustainable for you is most important. There is no point telling you that you must pound the threadmill for an hour everyday, as if you don't enjoy it you won't last a week.

Personally, pre and post workout carbs and all that isn't important for me either. This graph puts it into context.
    search?q=macro+importance+pyramid&tbm=isch&imgil=AQJ5DdWK0KF8JM%253A%253BHbo5Vj_VJao_kM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Frippedbody.com%25252Fnutrition%25252Fdiet-set-up%25252Fnutrition-pyramid%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=AQJ5DdWK0KF8JM%253A%252CHbo5Vj_VJao_kM%252C_&usg=__dRrg2xAuc3aRCVq4O7GS2sgVYRQ%3D&biw=1314&bih=643&ved=0ahUKEwidsJaW_rDVAhXqIcAKHQqZBCMQyjcIQw&ei=Jc59Wd2JBurDgAaKspKYAg#imgrc=AQJ5DdWK0KF8JM:

I'm sure somebody will be along soon with a different theory, and that's fine too...but thats my 2cents worth!

• Advertisement

Have you tried slimming world?

Just kiddin.

Advertisement