Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the best for prepay right now?

Options
  • 27-07-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Have to port out of a work account so just want to go with prepay for a while, as I'll most probably go for a contract when the new iphone comes out.

Ideally sooking for something with reasonable data. Not adverse to a 30 day rolling contract. Don't need a handset

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Depends on what you want.
    Tesco / iD Mobile / Lyca mobile. Cheap, but some techincal issues / feature gaps. Particulary with short messages from banks etc.
    Meteor / 3 / Vodafone. The big three I suppose. Your results may vary, so if time allows, get a sim from each and test coverage. I'd check their various prepay plans first of course. No point having great coverage if you can't afford it! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭macraignil

Three(3) have been charging me 2 euro a day for data I haven't used on prepay plan the chat representative Minesh signed me up on when I turned off the mobile data after all my credit was used up in a few days when I bought a new phone from them. That's 40 euro gone in three weeks for only a hand full of calls and texts. Tried to reason with them about being charged for something I'm not using but was just told it was still a valid charge. Very poor service. Interested to hear if anyone can recommend another prepay service to switch to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Vic_08

€20 for all calls texts and 15GB data for 28 days on Meteor. Big thread about it on Bargain Alerts board.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057721162&page=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Vic_08 wrote: »
    €20 for all calls texts and 15GB data for 28 days on Meteor. Big thread about it on Bargain Alerts board.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057721162&page=21
    I don't think you get calls and texts for 20 euro, it's either one or the other, 30 euro gets texts, calls and 15GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

200motels wrote: »
    I don't think you get calls and texts for 20 euro, it's either one or the other, 30 euro gets texts, calls and 15GB.

You do as part of that deal. Not sure if the deal is still on though. Op, have a look at the Vodafone X thread in the BA forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Changed over from €20 unlimited calls and texts a few months ago to €20 unlimited calls/texts/15Gb data after reading about it in that thread. Texted 20unlimited to 50104.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

You do. You get the 30 euro offer for 20 a month. It's a fantastic offer. I have it. Only downside is the odd call drops. But for 20 euro you get unlimited calls, texts and 15GB of data plus unlimited social media data and 6.3GB roaming data. All for 20 a month.

The Vodafone X deal is great too. For 20 a month you can get 20GB of data, unlimited texts, 100 minutes plus either free premium Spotify or free sky sports mobile or free weekend calls. If your
    Not a student or aged 18-25, you can join up on Facebook by changing your date of birth to this age as the offer is aimed at students. You can change back again!

ID mobile also have good offers. For 15 euro a month you get 30GB of data, 300min calls to any network plus you keep the full 15 euro. It runs on the 3 network so is pretty good. I naught a sim off them for 2 euro to try and am very impressed.

3 have the all you can eat data for 20 euro a month. You get unlimited any network texts and free 3 to 3 calls. Plus you keep the 20 euro credit. Just be careful as the calls to other networks aren't included so if you go over something like 54 minutes you pay for the calls which is something like 40c/minute. I changed from 3 due to this.

Tesco/lyca/virgin all have deals too but I've had friends experience issues so I've never tried them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

I believe Postfone is a MVNO running on the Vodafone network

Not a user and was looking on the website to see what their story is about roaming.

Not clear to me if the full data allowance can be roamed or if its a fraction ( a la 3 & Meteor/Eir ) of same.

Anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

...looking on the website to see what their story is about roaming.
    This is what it says on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Ten Pin wrote: »
    This is what it says on their website.

I've an ultra cautious approach to reading stuff like this through years of dealing with 3 & Meteor :o

I'd hoped to read something like "customers will be able to use all their allowance of data......when roaming" :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The 20unlimited on meteor is still working. Staff will tell you its gone but its still there. You just get a new sim and can set up offer prior to porting

Moved from TM and its sooooo much better, reception is more widespread and data is a lot faster, got download speed of 90Mb in a cork town last week

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mark085

Maz2016 wrote: »
    You do. You get the 30 euro offer for 20 a month. It's a fantastic offer. I have it. Only downside is the odd call drops. But for 20 euro you get unlimited calls, texts and 15GB of data plus unlimited social media data and 6.3GB roaming data. All for 20 a month.

The Vodafone X deal is great too. For 20 a month you can get 20GB of data, unlimited texts, 100 minutes plus either free premium Spotify or free sky sports mobile or free weekend calls. If your
    Not a student or aged 18-25, you can join up on Facebook by changing your date of birth to this age as the offer is aimed at students. You can change back again!

ID mobile also have good offers. For 15 euro a month you get 30GB of data, 300min calls to any network plus you keep the full 15 euro. It runs on the 3 network so is pretty good. I naught a sim off them for 2 euro to try and am very impressed.

3 have the all you can eat data for 20 euro a month. You get unlimited any network texts and free 3 to 3 calls. Plus you keep the 20 euro credit. Just be careful as the calls to other networks aren't included so if you go over something like 54 minutes you pay for the calls which is something like 40c/minute. I changed from 3 due to this.

Tesco/lyca/virgin all have deals too but I've had friends experience issues so I've never tried them.

I was getting them call drops with meteor nightmare had to switch to Vodafone

Advertisement