Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to the DART 8200 EMU units?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

And of course we must not forget the dedicated volunteers of the Irish Traction Group and the R P S I.
    It is a shame that we depend on Northern Ireland both for preserving GSR 800 "Maeve", B 113, the Dublin and Kingstown coach, Donegal stock and for allowing the ITG to run ex CIE locos on track at Downpatrick as well as a place to stay.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm more talking about aimed at young children and like. It would give people more of an appreciation for things like public transport from an early age and hopefully that would continue as they get older for example teenage children might use a bus or train to travel of getting their parents to give them a lift.

I've very fond memories of climbing all over the steam engine in Cork Train Station as a child. I think static displays like that in high footfall locations like this are a great way to do this.

My little one absolutely loves taking the Santa train every year, thanks to all involved in that, it is her favourite activity leading up to Christmas.

Spike Island jumps to mind, they have a fantastic Gun Park, with old cannons, armoured vehicles, etc. On it's own it would probably get over looked, but in the wider context of the amazing Spike Island experience it is great.

Perhaps something like this could fit in a similar larger experience, something like an Engineering museum, that includes public transport, Fry Model Railway, car museum, farm machinery, etc. in a nice location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I agree that static exhibits at main terminus stations do have an effect on generating interest and passion in railways.

For me it was the G or E class that I think ITG had stored on an elevated siding in Cahir for a few years. I was mesmerised by it as a chap.

So in that vein, perhaps another static life for some of the 82/2700 units could be this..... Debogie a car and place at at ground level indoors in a concours, or perhaps park it in a disused bay platform. Cut off one side of the unit and fit it out with tables and chairs and turn it into a coffee cart.
    Maybe AMT would take one on to do something similar. I'm thinking the old bay platform in Waterford maybe. Or Limerick junction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A steam engine is going to have a massively higher draw than a rather generic early 00s multiple unit.

Steam engines appeal to people in general, multiple units appeal to a tiny subset of enthusiasts.

Advertisement