Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raised chicken Coop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a set up like this?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a8/2b/cf/a82bcfcb2253dc923cb0f84b9ebab7ed.jpg

How do the ladders work? How high can they be off the ground?
    I bought a lake boat near Lough Key (near Boyle) some years ago and when I was there I noticed that they had their coop placed on top of a steel poles about 5 or 6 foot off the ground. The people had a persistent problem with pine martins killing their poultry and were advised that if they wanted to continue keeping hens they would have to raise the coop off the ground. The coop was heavily fortified with heavy gauge mesh wire and there was a ring of electric poultry netting around the base.
    The hens walked up/down a ramp (to the coop) which was basically a builders scaffolding plank that had chicken wire nailed to it for grip. There was a small ladder that was used by the people to collect the eggs and clean the coop out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'd be thinking anything a hen can climb up, so could a pine marten, or to a lesser extent a mink.
    A good fence is a must as stated above. You can get a small automatically opening door that opens and closes at pre set times that would be ideal for a coop like that.

Advertisement