Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Influencers / Bad Role models?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

Who are these bloggers? Could you PM me if you don't want to post here?

So sue me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

heyjude88 wrote: »
    i'm sure its very different being a rock star and taking drugs. most people aren't musical enough to make it in a band and therefore can't afford class A drugs.

What?
    Fitness infulencers lifts up her top and says she so fat,  and then post pictures of her dinner asking is she skinny yet, but is also eating nutella and pringles. this to me is a bad infulence. Kids and adults (women in particular), can see this and obsess over their food and image. It's way easier to cut calories and stop eating etc, then it is to be in a successful rock band and doing drugs every night. Also, being in a band is on a larger platform, a young girl sitting in her room watching these snaps on snapchat is all done behind closed doors, and may become a secret obsession. These influencers  are mostly all local Irish girls who play up the "I'm just like you" image. Of course their followers will think they can be like them.

I still don't see how any of that is the blogger/snapper/whatever format's problem. Just as you or I are free to say what we think here, they are free to publicly say whatever they want. They are talking about themselves- they're commenting on THEIR OWN bodies. Personal responsibility on the part of the viewer is needed.

Also if a fitness influencer is showing off eating Pringles and Nutella on their timeline it doesn't take a genius to work out they're probably a chancer.
    I didn't name the influencer, so i'm not lashing out. I started the thread to see what other peoples opinions are. I work with mainly women in my job, and so many of the young girls have gotten lip injections and look so silly. Silly enough that management have had to step in as we are customer front line staff.  It's scary.

Well tbh I don't see how you can blame the influencers for that. How about blaming the doctors who are doing these procedures on people who clearly have no need for them? Or how about blaming their partners/friends/parents for not stopping them? Where does it end? Where does personal responsibility (on behalf of the viewer, they can choose to watch it or not, or believe it or not) come into it?

As for management "stepping in" and stopping individuals having procedures in their own time with their own money, I actually think that's far far worse and problematic than a blogger saying x, y,z. Much more dangerous if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I know the fitness person your on about (not in real life but have followed her from pretty much the start although don't watch as consistent as I used to). She had worked really hard to get where she is! Why wouldn't she want to show of her hard work! I don't think she does it every day either? Could be wrong? She might eat a bit crap sometimes but she still eats a decent amount even when she was competing! Almost 2200 I think it was compared to another person getting ready to compete at the moment think she is eating 1500 the last while? (Again figures could be slightly out). I really don't think she is a bad influence!

It isn't her or any other person in the public eye fault if people copy what they do! People should have enough common sense to know what is right from Wrong!

Obviously they shouldn't be drink driving (I don't know who ye were on about doing that) or illegal stuff on their social media platforms but other then that they can really do what they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I didn't name the influencer, so i'm not lashing out. I started the thread to see what other peoples opinions are. I work with mainly women in my job, and so many of the young girls have gotten lip injections and look so silly. Silly enough that management have had to step in as we are customer front line staff.  It's scary.

Baby and Crumble responded to other points you made I just want to clarify that I didn't think you were lashing out. I just think points you made are part of a bigger problem. Last week interview with Richard Dawkins was cancelled by Berkeley Radio because his views were deemed anti Muslim. People might not like all the points he makes (I don't) but to cancel interview with one of the most influential scientists because some people don't like what he has to say is making us dumber.

I am not comparing nonsense Rosana Davidson (for example) is peddling to what Dawkins has to say but who gives me or anyone else the right to be authority on what is appropriate. I can mock Davidson and ignore more zealous points Dawkins makes but I have that right only for myself. It's about free speech and unfortunately that is just as relevant for fitness nonsense as is for more substantial stuff.

Edit: what I am trying to say is that there is more harm than good trying to protect people from our own stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

The points I'm taking from this and agree with myself are not that people have to be super mindful of what content they share, but to be careful if their content is reflecting disordered eating, lying about cosmetic procedures (claiming they are all natural) etc. Checking your body in the mirror numerous times a day to show your 'progress' (when you look the same as yesterday) and sharing this on snapchat isn't normal behavior. Also, by photo shopping your new gym body, you are presenting a false reality, and some people are savvy enough to cop that these images are not real. Imagine being a similar size to said blogger as she was before, and now she is all of a sudden many, many sizes smaller (of course she has worked hard for this, no denying that) only to not realize she photo shops every picture of her body? Things like this can really affect people, they may wonder why they can't be as 'good' as her. There is so much fakery around, and it's so sickening to see this person share snaps of peoples messages to her saying how inspired they are by her, not realizing they are inspired by her photo shop app....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

anna080 wrote: »
    I know ya, and the fab house in central Dublin with a cute puppy (who I'm feeling more sorry for by the day). It's not real life.

Sure while I'm at it, on the topic of bad role models and irresponsibility- I just hate when these bloggers get themselves cute little Instagram friendly dogs, but are never actually around to look after them. Louise left her job about a month ago and has been jetting all over the world since, and her poor little pup who she only recently got is at home with her roommates. She should have thought about how much she'd be gone when she was considering buying him, but I'm sure the odd cute Instagram picture makes her feel like a good owner when she, for the most part, is not.

I agree, I do like her but that really annoys me, she hardly spends any time with the puppy between events and travelling so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The thing is though, why is it their responsibility to police their actions? Like I do understand the need for positive role models in everyone's life, but if they've gotten a following doing a certain thing (eg fitness blogs or whatever) then why should they have to change their content when they become successful?

And I know lots of folks will say that kids are easily influenced, and that's a fair point. But kids aren't stupid either. I never once in my life thought that rock stars doing drugs was something I aspired to but I still liked their music. Why is this different?

I do get your points and they are hard to disagree with really. But I do think that when you are marketing yourself to such a young audience, there should be a moral obligation to be responsible. Sure we were all teens once, and I'm not saying that anyone I idolised I blindly copied, but seeing them do things like complaining about weight or examining their bodies every day- the behaviour would become normalised. I think that's what they're guilty of doing, really- not being bad role models per say, (mainly because I think the term role model is cringe) but normalising potentially damaging and unhealthy behaviours- from excess shopping right down to body image.
    Nobody is asking them to police themselves, just have a bit of cop on as to what message you're sending and how it's coming across. Do what you want all you like off camera, but on camera I believe they need to have a little bit more self awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Stupid narcissistic people will follow other stupid narcissistic people! If some Instamuppet is someone's inspiration and they can't see how fake it is and how it's just a new form of advertising to get you to buy stuff then what can you do?

I'm on Instagram mostly to look at art and document my own art, when I see someone posting workout/yoga pics with a shedload of hashtags I just think how pathetic and desperate it looks, and trying so hard to get attention is really distasteful to me
    BUT... it's their personal account and they are under no obligation to post things that please me, or things that make them good role models.

It's not called InstaRoleModel, and it's up to parents to monitor their kids, not the posters. If adults follow these posters blindly than that's their problem. If blogging didn't exist they'd just follow some eeejit down the road, if they have are predisposed to being a follower.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I agree about the photoshop thing! It's crazy the amount some People do! That really annoys me because it's not real and loads of younger girls, who don't realise it is fake aspire to be like said person! When they aren't even like that themselves! Something like that is kinda irresponsible.
    But at the end of the day the only person they are fooling there is themselves! Ya can't hide the pictures others take forever!!

At the end of the day, you can post WHATEVER you like, it is your own Instagram/Snapchat/whatever. I just personally find it quite distasteful to blatantly lie about cosmetic procedures etc. Like it is extremely obvious, and to lie to followers who ask about it (quite often asking as they like the look, and want similar for themselves) is insulting. A good amount of people see through the photoshop etc, but by reading the comments on said bloggers Insta, it's clear how many are totally clueless about how much fakery is going on. Personally, it doesn't affect me, but I am concerned that vulnerable people lap it all up and think you can achieve a certain look without the aid of fillers and photoshop. To be clear, I have zero issue with cosmetic surgey and fillers etc, but I think you look like an eejit when you lie about it. I'd love my lips done myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

idunno78 wrote: »
    I agree about the photoshop thing! It's crazy the amount some People do! That really annoys me because it's not real and loads of younger girls, who don't realise it is fake aspire to be like said person! When they aren't even like that themselves! Something like that is kinda irresponsible.
    But at the end of the day the only person they are fooling there is themselves! Ya can't hide the pictures others take forever!!

I'm no spring chicken and it took me a long time to realise how photoshopped photos are. Because I didn't personally use things like snap chat etc with filters I didn't know how they were used and so I believed they were real (not all but alot!). I've obviously copped on a lot over the last couple of years lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

Ray37 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, you can post WHATEVER you like, it is your own Instagram/Snapchat/whatever.

For me the lines get blurry about being able to post whatever you want (as a blogger etc) on social media when your account is also a business one.. Most of these people on snapchat will say they use it as an 'everyday' way to connect with followers, which is great, and a lot will post just normal, chatty, daily bits and therefore when it is just them shooting the breeze/posting pics I would take it all with a pinch of salt (as it should be) but when they are also using it to promote products/themselves, to do reviews, etc , where does the buck stop? If viewers/readers are supposed to listen to them when they do promotions/reviews/ads on these channels, of course some are going to take other things they say (about looks, weight, food, etc) as gospel as well. *not everyone* of course and it is pretty obvious those on here don't tend to fall for any bs, but there are followers who will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

scarbouro wrote: »
    So sue me

100% thought this was about "It Galz" Lindsay. She genuinely seems to have a problem with alcohol and is sponsored by Bulmers! Lots of young followers watching that thinking it's normal. She can't get through a day without a can or six and it's worrying to watch. Hiding it around the house and all and getting plastered in front of her kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mel123

100% thought this was about "It Galz" Lindsay. She genuinely seems to have a problem with alcohol and is sponsored by Bulmers! Lots of young followers watching that thinking it's normal. She can't get through a day without a can or six and it's worrying to watch. Hiding it around the house and all and getting plastered in front of her kids
    I started following her a couple of months ago. Must go now and unfollow her. What an absolute moran putting it politely. It's one thing f-Ing and blinding in private but so publicly it's horrible. Defiantly not a good role model for sure.
    Blogger in the literal sense, did she blog about anything before? Like from her snapchat she doesn't promote anything other than bulmers and laser hair removal I'm just wondering what she ever did for a following?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Same I unfollowed after seeing one to many 'linspired' pics of teens with their cans!! like what we should be delighted to see you've influenced people to drink? Imagine the out cry if it was weed or something but no it's ok because it's drink. Her drunken remarks are terrible. Oh and her constant personality/persona changes...jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Madam Oblong, please read the forum charter. You must be a member of boards for 3 months before you are allowed to post in the forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Does anyone just feel like so many bloggers/influencers have lost respect for their followers? Not declaring ads or being sneaky about it, not caring about what content followers do/don't like as long as they're happy, making digs at people who do question it, etc. I feel like some are so absorbed into themselves that they've forgotten that their social media platforms are meant to be for the interests of their followers.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone but I feel like its becoming more common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Does anyone just feel like so many bloggers/influencers have lost respect for their followers? Not declaring ads or being sneaky about it, not caring about what content followers do/don't like as long as they're happy, making digs at people who do question it, etc. I feel like some are so absorbed into themselves that they've forgotten that their social media platforms are meant to be for the interests of their followers.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone but I feel like its becoming more common.

I agree, muf's comment the other day along the lines of "it's my snapchat and I'll do what I like" pretty much said exactly that. Though the accompanying shoulder shrug was just funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

YES! FBG this morning trying to tell ppl she "didn't realize" the #sp was hidden behind her snap name on screen.

Oh Pllllease! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yes, Rosie Connolly is starting to come across this way a bit.

She blocked someone from here because they asked about her working with Renault?
    Well what ARE you doing?
    If it isn't an ad what is the reason for you picking up another new car?
    Genuine question, not rhetorical.

• Advertisement

I've been blocked by Rosie too, for asking a question. She's a very delicate one IMO, loves an auld block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I think they're all a bad influence to be honest. You'd hardly want to be taking your life goals from a fitness and 'lifestyle" blogger or "social media influencer" or z-list celebrity famous solely for posting selfies or bikini shots of herself holding a box of "skinny tea" or whatever particular brand is paying her on whatever particular day.

And the face-tuning thing is real. The bendy railings in the background or cartoonishly small waist or hilariously pore-free face is a giveaway every time. But I suppose there's an argument to be made about that sort of shyte always existing to some extent. In my time it was magazines with photoshopped models, now it's #fitfam bloggers photoshopping themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

There's a fitness Instagrammer who I always had time for and liked their honesty but my views have changed the past few weeks.

She got seriously lean and was proud showing off results, etc.
    After gaining a good bit of weight on holiday, she put up on Snapchat that she was embarrassed to be seen out and about because of weight gain. Then a different contradictory post being about proud of her new curves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There's a fitness Instagrammer who I always had time for and liked their honesty but my views have changed the past few weeks.

She got seriously lean and was proud showing off results, etc.
    After gaining a good bit of weight on holiday, she put up on Snapchat that she was embarrassed to be seen out and about because of weight gain. Then a different contradictory post being about proud of her new curves.

Who is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Who is this?

Siobhan OH Fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Who is this?

Prob the same one who tells people to be happy in themselves(now selling mindset courses), but always has extensions, nails, lashes, tan, implants and braces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

zoobizoo wrote: »

For example Rosanna Davison going on about health and wellness and yet she's covered in make up, has had plastic surgery and lives an unrealistic lifestyle... she's never without her make up.

There has never been evidence of plastic surgery or are you just assuming?

Also what is the unrealistic lifestyle. Im no fan just curious.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod California Dreamer, you need to be a member of Boards for three months and have at least 50 posts to post in this forum as per the charter. Please feel free to come back when you meet the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There has never been evidence of plastic surgery or are you just assuming?

Also what is the unrealistic lifestyle. Im no fan just curious.

What's realistic about heading off to Mauritius and on other holidays every other month?!

Edit just saw Mod note!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Siobhan OH Fitness.

She is a total melt the head. Full of contradictions. Head wrecker of the highest order. Latest thing she is pushing is mindfulness when I consider her not to be very 'true' to how she actually feels.

Advertisement