Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone SE 32gb is this a bargain?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

If anyone is up North they're £300(€335) in Argos in the UK...

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6875985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Does buying a phone in Argos offer the same guarantees/warranty/return options as buying from a phone shop 3/Vodafone etc? :)

They're all covered by the same set of consumer rights legislation.

Difference is, you'd generally be met with an infinitely more positive response to having an issue sorted, if you pick it up from Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Rumour of a newer model next month

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

webpal wrote:
    I'm not familiar with iPhone prices but am looking for a good 4" unlocked phone with good memory. €369 is cheaper than apple's site.

I don't know if you can call 32GB good storage? The last time I had a phone with less than 64GB base storage was 5 years ago, and always had an additional SD card.

If you can live with the limitations of an apple device, it's a good price I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 buyer2017

Seems like a very good price , too good to be true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    I contacted Apple sales and they also said it would lock to the first network, sim Free means the phone was once locked to a network, as opposed to Factory unlocked where the phone was never restricted.

I don't know what they think your asking but it's 100% not true. It's unlocked and you can chop and change SIM cards for different providers as often as you like. And that's not just with Apple, it's the same for android as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

tedpan wrote: »
    I don't know if you can call 32GB good storage? The last time I had a phone with less than 64GB base storage was 5 years ago, and always had an additional SD card.

If you can live with the limitations of an apple device, it's a good price I suppose.

32GB is plenty. Cloud for the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Anyone got a code they are not using for cork, limerick or killarney, I'd appreciate it, cant believe I Missed this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Mr.S wrote: »
    Apple could have been confused thinking this was like in the US with some phones (like the poster above posted re AT&T) - or thinking you where purchasing it from a network.

Even on the Argos page:

This is a unlocked phone with no commitment to any network, you decide which sim card to use. Choose the most suitable plan, whether it's a contract or a pay-as-you-go. The sim is unlocked throughout the lifetime of the phone without restriction.

They switch between sim free and unlocked, in this case, it's referred to as the same thing.

These phones are very much not tied to the first sim you insert!

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I don't know what they think your asking but it's 100% not true. It's unlocked and you can chop and change SIM cards for different providers as often as you like. And that's not just with Apple, it's the same for android as well

When i went to Argos i was told that it would lock to the first sim that i put in, then Apple direct told me the same thing. On the Argos UK page this exact question has been asked and answered with different replies, one saying yes and no.

Again the Agros pages states that it is sim unlocked which again is different to factory unlocked. Sim unlocked does mean it was once locked to a specific network.

I have hard another customer being sold the same thing when buying a different phone. These different opinions are again reflected on the apple pages too.

dodzy wrote:
    32GB is plenty. Cloud for the excess.

For you, maybe..

I have a 128GB SD on top of the 64GB integrated storage.

The internal storage fills up with my dash cam footage and need to do a sort out nearly every weekend.

• Advertisement

Apple could have been confused thinking this was like in the US with some phones (like the poster above posted re AT&T) - or thinking you where purchasing it from a network.

Even on the Argos page:

This is a unlocked phone with no commitment to any network, you decide which sim card to use. Choose the most suitable plan, whether it's a contract or a pay-as-you-go. The sim is unlocked throughout the lifetime of the phone without restriction.

They switch between sim free and unlocked, in this case, it's referred to as the same thing.

These phones are very much not tied to the first sim you insert!

When i went to Argos i was told that it would lock to the first sim that i put in, then Apple direct told me the same thing. On the Argos UK page this exact question has been asked and answered with different replies, one saying yes and no.

Again the Agros pages states that it is sim unlocked which again is different to factory unlocked. Sim unlocked does mean it was once locked to a specific network.

I have hard another customer being sold the same thing when buying a different phone. These different opinions are again reflected on the apple pages too.

Well I can only tell you the facs from my personal experience, and that is that it doesnt lock to the first SIM operator....or the second...or even the third

For you, maybe..

I have a 128GB SD on top of the 64GB integrated storage.

The internal storage fills up with my dash cam footage and need to do a sort out nearly every weekend.

You're in a minority there. Couldn't you just be backing up the footage to Google photos every night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Their all out of stock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

The website is very clear, these are phones that are not locked to a sim, and they never will be :confused: Regardless of the terminology of sim free, unlocked and factory unlocked (everyone refers to it differently) - the phones will not lock to a network!

Sim unlocked can mean the phone was once locked to a network (when bought from say, Vodafone and then unlocked) but not when you purchase the phone from a store that isn't affiliated to a network.

I was told by multiple employees at Argos that it would, and was confirmed by Apple directly. There is a difference between sim unlocked and factory unlocked. There is a lot of diverging opinion.

I was told by multiple employees at Argos that it would, and was confirmed by Apple directly. There is a difference between sim unlocked and factory unlocked. There is a lot of diverging opinion.

Alpha I'm genuinely trying to figure out if your playing us or not. I never meet multiple employees in Argos. Lucky to meet the person on tills and another at collection. I wouldn't even think they'd have the knowledge to be giving the information- nothing against Argos staff, I worked for them back in the college days but they sell thousands of products and aren't expected to know the ends and outs of them.
    Argos quite clearly have it on the product listing that your not tied to a network, I'm telling you I bought it and have had 3 different network sim's in the phone and users have suggested similar. As someone said previously, asking Apple might not give the proper answer. If the chat agent was in America, then yes what you say might very well be the case. Plus they wouldn't know Argos.
    I don't mean to be rude but I don't know how else to prove that you change sims/ operators as often as you like on the phones from Argos

Basil3 wrote:
    You're in a minority there. Couldn't you just be backing up the footage to Google photos every night?

I do that, although for the quality is not 1080p when backed up to the free Google photos, so when creating videos I need to download the original footage. Anyway, I'm in a minority anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

The nonsense about the phone locking to the first network you put in it is baffling. I travel to the US a bit and have a sim for over there so all my phones the past few years are from argos and they're all unlocked and work in both places, including prior iPhones. This isn't an actual discussion. Chap claiming otherwise has to be taking the mick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

OP here, thanks for all the feedback, picked one up today. First thing I did was to put in 2 sims and both work (3 and lyca). Looking forward to setting it up now.

webpal wrote: »
    OP here, thanks for all the feedback, picked one up today. First thing I did was to put in 2 sims and both work (3 and lyca). Looking forward to setting it up now.

Best of luck with it OP. Hopefully you like it. You got a bargain

webpal wrote:

Try a voda or meteor SIM too, just to confirm. I know lyca uses the 3 network, so may not be the best test.

• Advertisement

Try a voda or meteor SIM too, just to confirm. I know lyca uses the 3 network, so may not be the best test.

Their still different operators. A Lyca sim wouldn't work in a locked 3 phone

Mrs is in bed and I just got her phone which has a meteor sim, shes on bill pay and the sim is locked. I got a message saying sim is locked and wasn't going to bother her. But I think if my iPhone was locked I would have got a different message?

webpal wrote:
    Mrs is in bed and I just got her phone which has a meteor sim, shes on bill pay and the sim is locked. I got a message saying sim is locked and wasn't going to bother her. But I think if my iPhone was locked I would have got a different message?

Yeah, SIM locked usually means you need to enter the PIN to unlock the SIM card.

If the phone reads network locked, the phone is locked to a certain network.

So I think you're all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

Anyone got a spare reservation for dublin? Been eyeing this phone for ages and gutted I just missed it at this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

I bought this phone for my daughter earlier this month as a present. Tested it out with my own sim and boxed it back up. Daughter used her own sim from a different network with no problems. I've changed to a new network since so I tested out that network about half an hour ago (can't sleep). That also worked without any problem other than me trying to open the damn sim cover! Anyway, that is 3 different networks on the phone in less than a month so I can confirm that all the experts in argos were wrong.

Anyone got a spare reservation for dublin? Been eyeing this phone for ages and gutted I just missed it at this price.

Komplett.ie have them at the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

Same price for a refurbished 16gb excluding VAT. Big difference from Argos.

No sure what you mean but they have new ones at same spec and price as well as refurbs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,830 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

http://www.komplett.ie/apple-iphone-se-32-gb-goud/80047586/details.aspx

nope, brand new same as argos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Damn it are these all gone from Argos now?

Advertisement