Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation

Options
  • 19-07-2017 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys. So after putting on a good bit of weight mostly the beer belly I joined nrg express gym in little island Cork.

I was going well for a while then went on holidays and haven't been back since that's about 3 weeks ago now.

I'm having problems motivating myself to go and when I was going I wasn't getting enough return from what I was doing through not being motivated enough. The gym is fantastic and couldn't fault it I know I'm the problem.

Do you guys have any advice on what the best way to get motivated is or how you deal with it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What were you doing at the gym? Were you just doing cardio or weights or both and had you a program in place? When I first went to the gym I had no idea what to do half the time so I ended up doing the same exercises over and over again, once I had a program in place it became a lot more enjoyable as there was more variation.

You could also look into joining group classes, the social aspect might make it more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tommynsr150

siblers wrote: »
    What were you doing at the gym? Were you just doing cardio or weights or both and had you a program in place? When I first went to the gym I had no idea what to do half the time so I ended up doing the same exercises over and over again, once I had a program in place it became a lot more enjoyable as there was more variation.

You could also look into joining group classes, the social aspect might make it more enjoyable

Yea I was doing the machines, chest press, rowing and then after a while noticed a bit of a difference and started doing weights but when it came to running or cycling I just couldn't keep it up. Purely mental I dunno what the block was but I'd just stop after like 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

For a start, you need to forget motivation and start learning discipline. Motivation comes and goes but discipline is the thing that makes you say "I'm in no mood at all to go to the gym, I'm too tired/p!ssed off to go....but I'm going anyway no matter what"

You need to just start doing it man, make it a habit and drop the excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Cake Man wrote: »
    For a start, you need to forget motivation and start learning discipline. Motivation comes and goes but discipline is the thing that makes you say "I'm in no mood at all to go to the gym, I'm too tired/p!ssed off to go....but I'm going anyway no matter what"

You need to just start doing it man, make it a habit and drop the excuses.

I agree with this. It's pretty rare that I'm motivated for any length of time. I just make a decision and stick to it, no matter what my motivation levels are like.

Do you guys think itd be a good idea to have a gym buddy? If someone was around Cork using the same gym obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I've noticed this about myself - the more I workout, the more often I go to the gym, the more motivation I have. Try to "force" yourself to go the gym for couple of days and you might find that you're enjoying it again. Also, tracking your progress, i.e. logging your workout in some form, might help. I use FitNotes app (for android) and seeing that upwards curve on the graph is very satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

1) Having a program
    2) Ingraining a habit of going to the gym on, for example, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Having a habit will help overcome a lack of motivation cos you just go and do it.

Those made a massive difference to me. The motivation after that is seeing the results and wanting to improve.

1) Having a program
    2) Ingraining a habit of going to the gym on, for example, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Having a habit will help overcome a lack of motivation cos you just go and do it.

Those made a massive difference to me. The motivation after that is seeing the results and wanting to improve.
    OK thanks for the great replies sorry to be such a pain does anyone have any recommendations on where to find good programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Strong lifts 5x5 or "new rules of lifting" are two good programmes to start with. For cardio try doing the couch to 5k programme on the treadmill to ease you into running for longer periods.

For me, the best way to keep motivation going is to sign up for an event a few months in advance. Then on days I feel like not bothering I just picture myself at the event and it gets me out the door. For me I choose running races (5k, 10k) but you might prefer a cycle event, swim, triathlon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Do you guys think itd be a good idea to have a gym buddy? If someone was around Cork using the same gym obviously

Depends on the person- could give you yet another excuse not to go; e.g. "Buddy" can't make it tonight so we'll both take the night off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Totally depends on you tbh. Try it out maybe and see if it helps/hinders?

Advertisement