Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym programme

Options
  • 17-07-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭

Local club has put in a small gym and just looking to make use of it, more for general health really., no targets or anything at the minute just to get into it and try and increase energy levels and general strength . 32, 6ft about 14.5 stone I think. As the username suggests farming is the job so strengthing the back to prevent injury etc would be something I would also hope to do. I guess I'm just looking for advice on a simple programme I could work away at . Level of fitness is average I guess for someone who isn't training, went up carrauntoohill fine and do a lot of walking etc day to day. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Mooooo wrote: »
    Local club has put in a small gym and just looking to make use of it, more for general health really., no targets or anything at the minute just to get into it and try and increase energy levels and general strength . 32, 6ft about 14.5 stone I think. As the username suggests farming is the job so strengthing the back to prevent injury etc would be something I would also hope to do. I guess I'm just looking for advice on a simple programme I could work away at . Level of fitness is average I guess for someone who isn't training, went up carrauntoohill fine and do a lot of walking etc day to day. Thanks

Why don't you pay a qualified coach to write you a bespoke programme? Would you expect detailed free advice from any other service provider like a doctor or an accountant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Why don't you pay a qualified coach to write you a bespoke programme? Would you expect detailed free advice from any other service provider like a doctor or an accountant?

Not looking for detailed free advice., just guidance on a programme others have used. If I get more focused on it in specific areas I may well do. Have discussed accounts issues on other forums and given out things I have done in my business. Nobody suggest programmes on this forum do they? As i say its a local club whom i donated to there isn't a full time staff member there and it's the closest to me by a good number of miles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nobody suggest programmes on this forum do they?

Ah we do.

It depends on what kind of equipment is in the gym. Are there barbells and squat racks or just machines? Let us know what you have access to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jayesdiem wrote:

Um, well yeah, it's boards, an information resource, all the info is freely available already here, why on earth would you pay???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ah we do.

It depends on what kind of equipment is in the gym. Are there barbells and squat racks or just machines? Let us know what you have access to

It's free weights., two squat racks and benches, barbell and weights., dumbbells, a few kettlebells, hex bar, box jumps box., heavy rope a couple of spin bikes, may have left a few things out but that's more or less it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's free weights., two squat racks and benches, barbell and weights., dumbbells, a few kettlebells, hex bar, box jumps box., heavy rope a couple of spin bikes, may have left a few things out but that's more or less it

Well that gives you options. I'd suggest Starting Strength. It's not the best by a long shot, but with minimal instruction available to you, there is a whole book and endless articles to get you started. Will strengthen the legs and back. Start light and make sure everything is done correctly.

Could actually start by making sure your mobility is in check. By working a physical, it might be, but no harm in having a look here. Don't need a gym for the majority of that.

If you're going to be tired from throwing cattle around the place (because that's what farmers do, obviously), heavy compound movements might not be ideal, but that's up to you.

Advertisement