Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Deezer D has died aged 55 RIP.

A rapper also know for his role on ER as nurse Malik.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Michael Apted has died aged 79 RIP

Director of the fantastic 7up documentary series along with Coal Miner’s Daughter, The World Is Not Enough, Gorillas in the Mist and Gorky Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Director of the fantastic 7up documentary series along with Coal Miner’s Daughter, The World Is Not Enough, Gorillas in the Mist and Gorky Park.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. His name became synonymous with the 7Up series which I loved. It will be hard to imagine someone else interviewing them if they do another one. It was only in the last year that I discovered he directed Gorillas in the Mist, a great film. I did not know he directed The World is Not Enough, one of the more banal James Bond films.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I know Cruz Smith wasn't a fan of the film version of Gorky Park but I enjoyed (even though the book is still the better version), and that 7up doc idea really was groundbreaking.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I know Cruz Smith wasn't a fan of the film version of Gorky Park but I enjoyed (even though the book is still the better version), and that 7up doc idea really was groundbreaking.

A young Michael Apted was a researcher in the first edition of the Up series. His job was to trawl around schools to find suitable subjects - 14 in all! That turned out to be a key aspect for the rest of the series, which he directed (Paul Almond directed the first edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. His name became synonymous with the 7Up series which I loved. It will be hard to imagine someone else interviewing them if they do another one. It was only in the last year that I discovered he directed Gorillas in the Mist, a great film. I did not know he directed The World is Not Enough, one of the more banal James Bond films.

"Give me a child until he is seven, and I will give you the man", I can hear it in my head :o

7Up is up there with some of my favorite documentaries, RIP. I agree it won't be the same without him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The last was 63 Up in 2019 which means the next series was not due until 2026. I really hope they continue but it will not be the same without Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

John Reilly, whose daytime-TV credits alone included General Hospital, Passions and Sunset Beach, died on Saturday evening, TVLine has learned. He was 84.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    John Reilly, whose daytime-TV credits alone included General Hospital, Passions and Sunset Beach, died on Saturday evening, TVLine has learned. He was 84.

I read that first and thought it was John c Reilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Siegfried Fischbacher (as in Siegfried & Roy) died yesterday from pancreatic cancer aged 81. Roy died in May aged 75 from COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hopefully ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Damn that's sad loved Fatherof the Pride

• Registered Users Posts: 71,698 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

6541 wrote: »

Well, if he has the same agent as Tanya Roberts then it’s doubtful :D

Peter Mark Richman, an actor who appeared in Three's Company, Longstreet, Beverly Hills 90210 and Dynasty has died at the age of 93

• Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Peter Mark Richman, an actor who appeared in Three's Company, Longstreet, Beverly Hills 90210 and Dynasty has died at the age of 93

Didn't remember the name, but when I saw the photo I remembered him also as a guest star in Star Trek Next Generation, "The Neutral Zone" episode.
    RIP.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jessica Matthews has died. She played Amy in Freaks and Geeks, and was in the movie Election.

Only 38. Far too young. RIP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55660102

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Mr E wrote: »
    Jessica Matthews has died. She played Amy in Freaks and Geeks, and was in the movie Election.

Only 38. Far too young. RIP.

Leaves behind a ten year old son too. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Archie Lyndhurst's cause of death has been revealed. The 19 year old had died in his sleep due to a brain hemorrhage arising from a rare form of acute Leukemia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55689248

His doctor had said to his family that Archie showed no signs of illness before he died. This illness is so rare. Only 800 people die of this illness every year.

I'm heartbroken for his family & friends. I cannot imagine the amount of pain & grief that they are going through right now. I hope Archie gives them comfort when he is there in heaven. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Dale Baer, longtime Disney animator, has died aged 70.

dalebaer-580x326-1.jpg?w=580&ssl=1

https://thedisinsider.com/2021/01/16/longtime-disney-animator-dale-baer-passes-away-at-70/

He had quite a prolific career, working on shows such as Animaniacs, The Smurfs, and the Simpsons, to name a few.

His career was quite prolific. On the Big Screen, his career was extensive with 50 years experience working in animation.
    His earliest credited animation work is BedKnobs and Broomsticks. His last credit for Disney was Zootopia, in 2016.

Other films he worked on include Shrek, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Last Action Hero (where he animated Whiskers, the animated cat detective, voiced by Danny Devito) Richie Rich and Species.

You can see much of his animation work in this demo reel.

He also has the Bob's Burger's movie which is due out this year. This is sadly the second death to affect the Bob's Burger's crew. Dave Creek, character designer on Bob's Burger's, died 8 days ago in a Skydiving accident, aged 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wow he worked on some iconic stuff very talented.

Andy Gray dies aged 61 after battle with cancer (River City)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

David Shaw-Smith has died.

He along with his wife Sally, produced the series Hands for RTE in the 1970's.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2021/0119/1190810-death-david-shaw-smith/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

brian_t wrote: »
    David Shaw-Smith has died.

He along with his wife Sally, produced the series Hands for RTE in the 1970's.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2021/0119/1190810-death-david-shaw-smith/

If RTE had any sense they would reshow Hands in tribute to the man. I loved that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If RTE had any sense they would reshow Hands in tribute to the man. I loved that series.

Slow TV, decades before it became a thing. One of the first things I saw on Irish TV about 25 years ago was reruns of Hands. Loved every minute of it, just letting the craftsmen and women skill speak for itself with just the smallest bit of narration.

I'd love to watch it again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Slow TV, decades before it became a thing. One of the first things I saw on Irish TV about 25 years ago was reruns of Hands. Loved every minute of it, just letting the craftsmen and women skill speak for itself with just the smallest bit of narration.

I'd love to watch it again.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I wrote that post. Word for word. spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't think RTE own the rights. My local public library had them some years ago on DVD, I went through the entire collection, real fascinating the skills we had in the country then, beautifully captured before they were lost. When you see the lack of health and safety to any degree whatsover it will make you laugh, a full on furness out the back garden to pour molten metal in nothing but your Sunday best, different times :D...

RIP David Shaw-Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

It's a valuable historical compilation of a way of life that in many cases is gone forever. I remember episodes about stone cutters in fermanagh, stone masons in Dublin, basket weavers, fine carpenters etc.
    Many of the people featured were elderly and knew there was nobody to take over the trade when they were gone.
    One of the great series shown on rte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Absolutely invaluable show.

It was a masterclass.

RIP.

Advertisement