Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Chunky Legs?

Options
  • 15-07-2017 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I'm female 28 years old. Looking for advice on losing weight, especially the lower body. I've read so many things.

Inner thighs/calves are huge! Can't get boots over them. What would be the best exercises to do?

Walking/running uphill/downhill? exercise bike? etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jemma247 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm female 28 years old. Looking for advice on losing weight, especially the lower body. I've read so many things.

Inner thighs/calves are huge! Can't get boots over them. What would be the best exercises to do?

Walking/running uphill/downhill? exercise bike? etc

Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce a certain area of your body. It's all about total body fat loss. Everyone is born in different shapes and sizes. If your general body fat is low and you have large calves then you may just shop around for different boots. But if you have excess body fat then eating a calorie deficit will lose fat all over

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You need to focus on your diet. That's why people are overweight and it's how they will lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jemma247

Thanks! What are you're opinions on bread then? I usually have brown wholemeal? Should i try to cut it out?

My diet is ok. Well i think it is:

Breakfast:

Porridge/soya milk/blueberries or Eggs/wholemeal brown bread/salmon

Dinner:

Chicken fillet/vegetables or White fish/vegetables or Salmon/vegetables

Evening:

Might have porridge again or vegetables or beans on toast or banana or apples

Takeaway maybe once or twice a month usually a sub or Veggie Kebab

Green smoothie sometimes

Treats:

Fruit scones. I need to cut back/out on those

Drinks: Mostly water, coffee/tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Figure out what calories you need.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Then enter everything that passes your lips into www.myfitnesspal.com

If there's a deficit then you should lose weight.

Find an exercise you enjoy and do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jemma247

Oh sorry i exercise almost everyday. Doing Insanity workout at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Is it that your thighs and calves are not fat but muscular? If so, Imnot sure what the solution is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

How much carb do you eat?

I had to stop eating wheat last summer for health reasons.

While continuing to eat just about anything else I wished (though I don't eat many sweet things) I lost almost a stone within two months.

I have since put back on about half a stone. But, I've never felt healthier.

Wheat in all its forms - bread, cakes, biscuits, pizza, pasta etc. - is sugar by another name.

Try giving it up for a month (I use oats in all its forms as a replacement) and see if it makes a difference.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sibeen99 wrote: »
    Is it that your thighs and calves are not fat but muscular? If so, Imnot sure what the solution is...
    It's very unlikely somebody would get muscular calves and thighs by accident. It's even less likely they'd confuse that muscle for fat.
    Dinarius wrote: »
    Wheat in all its forms - bread, cakes, biscuits, pizza, pasta etc. - is sugar by another name.

Try giving it up for a month (I use oats in all its forms as a replacement) and see if it makes a difference.
    No it isn't.
    "Wheat" is starch (a complex carb) not sugar.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's very unlikely somebody would get muscular calves and thighs by accident. It's even less likely they'd confuse that muscle for fat.

No it isn't.
    "Wheat" is starch (a complex carb) not sugar.

Yes, you are technically correct.

But, wheat is also the biggest source of carbohydrates in our diet.

And the thing is this; the glorified talcum powder that is finely ground white flour is about a close to pure carbohydrate as it gets.

It has very little nutritional value. Most of the benefit we get from it comes from what we put on it - pizza toppings, pasta sauces, etc., or in it - e.g. Sandwich fillings.

Wheat in this very refined state gives us a fast burning hit similar to sugar. A quick upper, that we soon feel the need to replenish.

In the western diet, wheat is a storage vehicle for other foods. (E.g. A burger) You lose very little by giving it up, and potentially gain a lot.

Who was it that said that the sliced pan is the art of making water stand upright?

Yes, we've come a long way from the sliced pan. But, white flour hasn't a lot going for it.

Remember too that the Italians, who have been eating wheat for a lot longer than we have, tend to eat slices of pizza or small bowls of pasta. For us, the pizza, or pasta, or the sandwich, have become the entire meal in themselves. That's a big part of our problem.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Figure out what calories you need.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Then enter everything that passes your lips into www.myfitnesspal.com

If there's a deficit then you should lose weight.

Find an exercise you enjoy and do that.

Doesn't my fitness pal calculate how much calories you need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Doesn't my fitness pal calculate how much calories you need?

It can be a bit generous on what it allows for exercise so people tend to use other calculators for calorie expenditure.

Yes, you are technically correct.
    Technically? It's not like I'm picking up some minor technicality. What you said was incorrect.
    But, wheat is also the biggest source of carbohydrates in our diet.
    For some people it might. But for a lot of people it isn't. Some would bias sugar, others starchy veg, others rice, etc.
    Regardless, you making a strawman. Being an abundant carb doesn't make it a sugar.
    And the thing is this; the glorified talcum powder that is finely ground white flour is about a close to pure carbohydrate as it gets.
    That's not true either. It's about 70-75% carbohydrate. Off the top of my head rice, sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc would all be higher.
    It has very little nutritional value. Most of the benefit we get from it comes from what we put on it - pizza toppings, pasta sauces, etc., or in it - e.g. Sandwich fillings.
    Apart from the energy of course.
    Wheat in this very refined state gives us a fast burning hit similar to sugar. A quick upper, that we soon feel the need to replenish.

In the western diet, wheat is a storage vehicle for other foods. (E.g. A burger) You lose very little by giving it up, and potentially gain a lot.

Who was it that said that the sliced pan is the art of making water stand upright?

Yes, we've come a long way from the sliced pan. But, white flour hasn't a lot going for it.
    More strawmaning.
    I'm not arguing for (or against) wheat. I would have very little wheat in my own diet. I'm just pointing out that saying it's pure sugar it's simply not true.
    Remember too that the Italians, who have been eating wheat for a lot longer than we have, tend to eat slices of pizza or small bowls of pasta.
    Small bowls of pasta. Not sure where your getting that. Any Italians I know eat huge portions.

Mellor wrote: »
    Being an abundant carb doesn't make it a sugar.

No. But, it makes it behave like one.

That's not true either. It's about 70-75% carbohydrate.

You don't think 70-75% is much? I do. The remaining 25% isn't very nutritious either, is it?

Small bowls of pasta. Not sure where your getting that. Any Italians I know eat huge portions

We obviously know different Italians.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Straw men contain zero carbs. Avoid if gluten intolerant though.

No. But, it makes it behave like one.

You don't think 70-75% is much? I do. The remaining 25% isn't very nutritious either, is it.

We obviously know different Italians.
    Starches and sugars behave differently.

I never said 70% wasn't much. I said it's not "as close to "pure carbohydrate as it gets", as you claimed. Many foods are essentially 100%. And your alternative was oats, very tasty, but they're also close to 70% carbohydrate.

Advertisement