Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Account from An Post

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Hahah I will do and thanks for your help!

Your account number is the last 8 digits of your IBAN, and the six digits before that is your sort code. So your IBAN is IExxPSTSscscscAAAAAAAA (IE for Ireland, PSTS for An Post Smart Account, then 6 digits of your SC, then the 8 digits of your Account Number.)

I’ve got a Smart Account which I just set up for convenience as I live beside a post office. Only really use it to deposit some savings, with a view to transferring it to a proper savings fund once it reaches a certain amount. I like having a ‘banking’ option I can use beside my home. It would definitely be an expensive account if I was using it for all my transactions.

Their quarterly statements could be a bit better in appearance. I used it as a proof of address once, and it didn’t impress.

I haven’t had any particular bad experiences though. Transfers have been all on time without any major delays.

App isn’t too bad on iPhone but simple enough. Notifications pop up anytime funds are paid in which I like, and I don’t seem able to do with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frazzledma

I've had a Smart Account pretty much since they started. I am seriously considering closing it and looking elsewhere.

Any time you phone customer services they haven't a clue. When they say someone will get back to you they never do. I've had the same recurring issue since the account opened, reported several times to customer services, keep being told it will be escalated. Basically, with some organisations (for example when I tried to get AA cover over the phone) the transaction is being failed with no report of why. When I phoned customer services they say the transaction failed because the person processing it didn't put in the expiry date of the debit card. This is patently ridiculous, they were in all cases correctly putting the expiry date in (often in repeated attempts). Clearly either it is not being escalated or they aren't able to fix it.

Someone sent me a payment from the UK and it didn't arrive. When I phoned to query they said they only take euro transactions. Family fairly often send me little topups or gifts from the UK so this account is just not good enough for me.

I'm also concerned that their accounts are not backed by the state guarantee if something should go horrible wrong. Even my credit union accounts are more secure than this.

The mobile app (I'm on android) is very flaky. I set up a wallet to pay the one direct debit I have on the account. The first time it paid no problem. The second time the debit went out of the main account, not the wallet. It was just lucky there was enough in the main account to cover it. Payments out of the wallet are not listed in the statement that is available through the app. When I phoned customer services about this their response was that I had to check the statement on the internet. If I wanted to do that all the time I wouldn't bother with the app!

Quite often the balances on the app are out of date so in effect you can never be sure exactly how much you have available to spend, or whether enough is in the account to cover expected outgoing.

The monthly charge isn't too bad as I shop in Lidl anyway so usually get more cashback than the charge. If I need cash I get cashback from a shop which bears no charge.

I feel like the Smart Account is half a product and some of it just doesn't work as intended or as one might reasonably expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

frazzledma wrote: »
    I feel like the Smart Account is half a product and some of it just doesn't work as intended or as one might reasonably expect.

I dunno, when I read complaints like yours I feel that An Post's Smart Account is working exactly as I expected it too!

Okon wrote: »
    I dunno, when I read complaints like yours I feel that An Post's Smart Account is working exactly as I expected it too!

:D

Yeah I probably expected too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

frazzledma wrote: »
    I've had a Smart Account pretty much since they started. I am seriously considering closing it and looking elsewhere.

Any time you phone customer services they haven't a clue. When they say someone will get back to you they never do. I've had the same recurring issue since the account opened, reported several times to customer services, keep being told it will be escalated. Basically, with some organisations (for example when I tried to get AA cover over the phone) the transaction is being failed with no report of why. When I phoned customer services they say the transaction failed because the person processing it didn't put in the expiry date of the debit card. This is patently ridiculous, they were in all cases correctly putting the expiry date in (often in repeated attempts). Clearly either it is not being escalated or they aren't able to fix it.

Someone sent me a payment from the UK and it didn't arrive. When I phoned to query they said they only take euro transactions. Family fairly often send me little topups or gifts from the UK so this account is just not good enough for me.

I'm also concerned that their accounts are not backed by the state guarantee if something should go horrible wrong. Even my credit union accounts are more secure than this.

The mobile app (I'm on android) is very flaky. I set up a wallet to pay the one direct debit I have on the account. The first time it paid no problem. The second time the debit went out of the main account, not the wallet. It was just lucky there was enough in the main account to cover it. Payments out of the wallet are not listed in the statement that is available through the app. When I phoned customer services about this their response was that I had to check the statement on the internet. If I wanted to do that all the time I wouldn't bother with the app!

Quite often the balances on the app are out of date so in effect you can never be sure exactly how much you have available to spend, or whether enough is in the account to cover expected outgoing.

The monthly charge isn't too bad as I shop in Lidl anyway so usually get more cashback than the charge. If I need cash I get cashback from a shop which bears no charge.

Agree. 
    I lost patience with them, and have stopped using it. 
    I tried so hard to change my address after I moved, and it was almost impossible. I had to fill in a form, bring it to my Post Office for it to be stamped, they had no idea what it was or why they had to stamp it but they did anyway. When I scanned it back to the customer services team I had no response. Chased on it a couple of times, and each time they sent me a blank copy of the form saying the same thing: take this to the Post Office and get it stamped. 
    I replied with the attachment again and again and each time I got an acknowledgement, then I'd hear nothing back, and when I chased, they would just send me a blank form again. I got so annoyed like I can't remember getting annoyed at any customer service before. It feels like nobody has any clue in their customer service team about what the processes are. When I tried to escalate and speak to a manager, they wouldn't pass me on to anyone else. 
    In the end, the address wasn't even changed, the most recent statement ended up going to my last address, six weeks after I submitted the change of address form, stamped etc, which they finally acknowledged they had received it all along, and apologised. 
    I got so annoyed I just got all my money out of there fast and asked them to send me a closure form. I don't hold my breath that they'll know what to do with that either. 
    In summary, very amateurish.

Hi Marty

I've now opened another bank account with KBC and will attempt to close my Smart Account. I'm certain it won't be plain sailing though and am preparing for much frustration. This account was the worst decision I have made in a long time.

Will you post again to let me know of your progress with this, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I don't understand why people would sign up to this account.

I signed up for it because I realised I would be able to make back the monthly charge easily since I almost always do my weekly shop in Lidl. Some months the cash back was several times the monthly charge. The hassle and incompetence is just not worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I don't understand why people would sign up to this account.

An Post is a very strong brand and people are so annoyed with banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Oh dear I’ve just opened an account. I see this thread is three yrs old , gave they improved at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

youtube! wrote: »
    Oh dear I’ve just opened an account. I see this thread is three yrs old , gave they improved at all ?

The cashback is stopping shortly.

There are much better offers and products out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Let us know how you get on with an post money account.
    The bad reviews put me off opening account with them.
    So be interested to know if they better.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

I would be inclined to say they are worse, but that is based on my usage. i.e. regular payment in then withdraw most of it works well. However, since the start of the year and in my opinion, the service has gone downhill.
    As already said, it's useful for receiving money, e.g. wage, then withdraw or transfer to another account leaving just enough for expected outgoings. A useful buffer between another account and the outside world.

Well my account is opened about 6 weeks now and I have to say I’ve not a single bad issue with it. In fact I’d go as far as to say it is the most efficient online account I’ve used to date . Transfers are fast , alerts are very nice feature and I even like the card they give it just looks pretty good . No problem with customer service either the one time I needed to ring to activate my card. App goes down occasionally for and hour or two but so does every other bank app I’ve had . Pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Well my account is opened about 6 weeks now and I have to say I’ve not a single bad issue with it. In fact I’d go as far as to say it is the most efficient online account I’ve used to date . Transfers are fast , alerts are very nice feature and I even like the card they give it just looks pretty good . No problem with customer service either the one time I needed to ring to activate my card. App goes down occasionally for and hour or two but so does every other bank app I’ve had . Pleased.
    Give it 6 months and see then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Care to share your impressions?

Can anyone tell me, does this account or any other Irish bank account offer push notifications for transactions such as DDs and online transactions in the same way you get with Revolut?

Can anyone tell me, does this account or any other Irish bank account offer push notifications for transactions such as DDs and online transactions in the same way you get with Revolut?

For those of us who don't know how the Revolut system works, (e.g. me) more informatiopn would be useful.
    DDs - yes.
    Online transactions - any in particular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

.BrianJM wrote: »
    For those of us who don't know how the Revolut system works, (e.g. me) more informatiopn would be useful.
    DDs - yes.
    Online transactions - any in particular?

What I like about Revolut is that you get a push notification for every transaction on your account, everything from DDs to online debits from your card to spend in stores. And similar to An Post Money, you can create pockets for your money ('jars' in An Post jargon). With Revolut you can point your DDs or monthly subscription payments to a pocket so that, even if your current account balance is zero, you still have enough money in your pocket to cover the payments. Is this a feature on the An Post account? Can you set up a DD or recurring payment so it's coming from a jar? And does the An Post account offer the flexibility in managing your card so that the card can be frozen and unfrozen through the app, or for certain transactions to be limited on the card, such as online transactions? Can you see upcoming direct debits?

Sorry for delay. You've probably decided, and if you really need all that pushed at you then forget an Post. This could change in the near future but until I get the new app to work, I don't know.

What is the real identity of the an post smart account? It's obviously a white label product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

They have their own BIC, but it's a "payment account" (like Revolut) rather than a bank. That can be a problem if you want to lodge a cheque.

Well my initial good impression of this bank has well and truly been dashed this morning. I’m on PUP and my payment was due yesterday. Still not hit my account. Apparently no incoming payments are being processed and they have no idea when it will be sorted and that’s simply not good enough. I will be closing this account ASAP .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

How do you know they are the ones at fault? Do you know when the payment was actually sent? Have they been able to confirm that the payment has in fact arrived and is waiting for them to process it? If they have confirmed that income payments are being processed, that would suggest there is nothing wrong on their side, unless there is an issue with your specific transaction....

Advertisement